Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Speaking of Unrealistic Advertised Towing Capacities

I see a new world record: Land Rover just released the brochure for the new Defender. Up to 1874lbs payload with a maximum trailer weight of 8201lbs. And a maximum tongue weight of 330lbs!

(Maybe somebody forgot to convert the tongue weight from kgs to lbs??) Edit: just downloaded the UK brochure. Max tongue weight of 150Kg.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #2

The engineer must have read the fake news version of how to design a tow vehicle. Apparently, they don't teach any form of ratio of tow weight to tongue weight at these schools. Too bad for us but with knowledgeable forum buddies like those on this site, we can adequately equip ourselves when looking for a real TV.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

A perfect vehicle for towing flatbed trailers with bricks stacked right over the axles. Or if you want to pull a hay wagon out of a farmers field. For those that do not know a hay wagon carries all the weight and the tow vehicle just carried the weight of a trailer tongue that I can pick up, about 50 lbs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

Well you could just move the center axle of the trailer forward so there is no tongue weight.

On a more serious note, the payload rating is almost impressive.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

I actually hail from Germany and yup, 150 kg is the max tongue weight for anything but real trucks with many vehicles only having 75 kg. WDH aren't road legal either. If you look at german travel trailers you'll find that it actually *is* possible to design a trailer without the heavy tongue weights you find in the US market.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Speaking of Unrealistic Advertised Towing Capacities

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
On a more serious note, the payload rating is almost impressive.

That is about 100 lbs less than GMC Acadia, a CUV, at just under 2,000 lbs! Alas, it only has 4,000 lb towing capacity. Even so, I bet it would pull a 4,000 lb TT nicely.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
I see a new world record: Land Rover just released the brochure for the new Defender. Up to 1874lbs payload with a maximum trailer weight of 8201lbs. And a maximum tongue weight of 330lbs!

(Maybe somebody forgot to convert the tongue weight from kgs to lbs??) Edit: just downloaded the UK brochure. Max tongue weight of 150Kg.
Euro versions of LRs are what you see in deserts and going through crazy rivers, and USA versions are best for excursions to malls and soccer practice.

After three of them failed me within 75K miles, seems that LR engineers all came from Lucas and older Jaguar lines, and retained their penchant for over-thinking and under-designing these beautiful, but lousy, vehicles.

Hope I'm wrong about the Defenders, but wouldn't care to spend $75K for the lesson.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuder99 View Post
I actually hail from Germany and yup, 150 kg is the max tongue weight for anything but real trucks with many vehicles only having 75 kg. WDH aren't road legal either. If you look at german travel trailers you'll find that it actually *is* possible to design a trailer without the heavy tongue weights you find in the US market.
Remember we commonly tow at 65-75mph over here, I believe most European countries limit you too something like 50-55mph while towing. We need the extra stability for the high speeds.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Here is a website which should be most helpful to you and others with Payload concerns. Towing Planner - towing capability calculators Also you may want to read this article http://learntorv.com/what-can-i-tow/

Enjoy safe travels.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing