Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Speed Limits

I have a new Garmin GPS for RV's not the latest version. When I used it last it kept telling me my legal speed was 55mph. Which was the speed set for trucks. My question is when towing do we follow car max speed or truck speed? Up to now I always figured it was max speed not truck speed. I try to stay at 65/60 mph not 70 or 75. Just wondering.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

I use the Truckers Garmin. It tells me the max speed for the area I'm in. It gives me a warning for speed reduction or increase ahead.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Car or truck max speed?

Follow what your trailer tires are rated for.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Depends on WHERE you are ...........

Some states have 'towing speed' limits (CA---55 mh) which can be same as Truck Speed Limit

Some states have NO towing speed limits.

Some have really vague AND ridiculous towing speed limits
See AZ in this AAA Tow Speeds
Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

I tow at 65 mph MAX unless otherwise posted....then I slow to 62 mph.

Majority of my towing is done on secondary/back roads so 55-65 mph range
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
I have a new Garmin GPS for RV's not the latest version. When I used it last it kept telling me my legal speed was 55mph. Which was the speed set for trucks. My question is when towing do we follow car max speed or truck speed? Up to now I always figured it was max speed not truck speed. I try to stay at 65/60 mph not 70 or 75. Just wondering.
In the states I have traveled the truck speed limit(if there is one) applies to vehicles that are towing anything. Around here the speed limit is 75-80 mph ( no special speed limit for trucks) and see people towing 40' + toyhaulers and doing 80, I always give them space and let them get far ahead. I have seen trailer tires blow at that speed 3 times, so I stay clear.
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

The way my DOT officer explained it to me.... ANY vehicle towing anything is a "combination vehicle" and therefore considered to be a truck and must follow the traffic laws aimed at trucks. That would mean signs like "no trucks", "no trucks in left lane", "no truck turns" and "truck speed limit" would apply.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA you must follow the truck speed limits if towing anything. A MH with nothing being towed can follow the car limits. Also be aware that on a 6 lane road (3 each way) or more the left lane is off limits if your GVWR is 10,000#'s or over or you're towing something.

CA officers LOVE to write tickets for RV's towing a car if you don't follow the truck speed limits.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here in WA you must follow the truck speed limits if towing anything. A MH with nothing being towed can follow the car limits. Also be aware that on a 6 lane road (3 each way) or more the left lane is off limits if your GVWR is 10,000#'s or over or you're towing something.

CA officers LOVE to write tickets for RV's towing a car if you don't follow the truck speed limits.
CHP officers love writing tickets period. Many states that are cash strapped ticket for the littlest infractions. Believe it or not in Reno Nevada my sister in law was driving my car from Utah and got a ticket for 67 mph in a 65 mph zone
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

I feel like this comment needs a bit of context:

The prevailing speed limit in Arizona is also "reasonable and prudent" and being from Arizona, I have used that argument MULTIPLE TIMES when i was younger to get out of tickets (Not towing, and just in a car)

"Yes officer - I was driving over the limit by XX - but its a clear day, with excellent visibility, minimal traffic, a nice new road, and I'm in a modern vehicle - driving within the conditions of the road and my vehicle." If all that of is true, you're usually in for a warning and no ticket.

The point of the AZ towing law is - you can drive as fast as you want/dare while towing (to the speed limit in theory) but if your inducing trailer sway due to speed, they can pull you over for excessive speed....no matter how fast your going. And that could be 10mph under. or 20mph.

Hell, I see travel trailers all the time going slower then me while towing my 5th and swaying all over the place. They are probably driving too fast as it is due to their poor loading or whatever the issue the setup has. The 5th is of course solid as a rock.

Arizona driving laws are very....self regulating... which is a very "western" approach to governing.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Some states have 'towing speed' limits (CA---55 mh) which can be same as Truck Speed Limit
Some states have NO towing speed limits.
I tow at 65 mph MAX unless otherwise posted....then I slow to 62 mph.
Majority of my towing is done on secondary/back roads so 55-65 mph range
Good points, the truck limits in restrictive states are based on the number of axles over 2 in many cases, and not he proverbial "commercial, recreational" jargon. Although commercial fines can be higher.
So technically, three, four, five axles lend themselves to swaying issues, multiple brake systems, lighting systems, tire issue potential, jack knives, hitches, you name it. You're confined to the lower limit.
But like anything else it's solely up to the discretion of the LEO involved to get you before a judge.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:33 AM   #11
paz

Regardless of the speed limit, most trailer tires (ST) are only rated for 65mph. Sustained speeds higher than that can lead to overheating and premature failure.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I run between 65 and 70 based on the flow of traffic. I keep an eye on my tires temps and pressures and even more when driving over 65. If I drive under 65 I feel like I am impeding traffic and causing an unsafe condition. A lot of commercial trucks are governed to 65 so I fit in a lot better at that speed. Long straight highway with no traffic 70mph.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #13

Speed Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmancity View Post
CHP officers love writing tickets period. Many states that are cash strapped ticket for the littlest infractions. Believe it or not in Reno Nevada my sister in law was driving my car from Utah and got a ticket for 67 mph in a 65 mph zone

The problem with sweeping generalizations is they are generally wrong. The CHP officer who pulled me over for going 74 MPH in the left lane of a 2 lane divided highway while towing a TT gave me a ticket for not being able to produce my proof of insurance before he ran me through his system. When he returned, I had found it.

He could have cited me for 19 miles over the limit, towing in the left lane, and no POI.

He gave me the option of paying the fine or presenting my POI to the court and paying the $35 court costs. Personally, I'd say he did me one hell of a favor.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am not a truck... my pickup when towing a 5'er was...

but a bus is not a truck imho....

here in dfw area we have a lot of no trucks in left lane freeways, but isn't that so they won't impede traffic ? I use the left lane to pass most of the lookee lou's