Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Spring Bar Storage

Where and how do you store your hitch spring bars when camping or when storing the trailer? I figure, "why re-invent the wheel?"
Thanks,
Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I was towing a TT I stored them in a bay closest to the hitch.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

I was hoping for some ideas that would get them "up and off the floor" of my outdoor storage compartment.
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic..... oh well
Tom
Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I had a TT I had a 6" piece of PVC with a permanent cap on one end and a screw off cap on the other. It was long enough to fit the bars. I mounted it under the A frame.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #5

I had two brackets fabbed and welded to the A-frame. I also figured out another bracket with a hole in it to run a lock thru. Also welded two pieces of receiver stock under the A-frame, one to store the hitch so I didn't have to listen to it rattle around at the back of the truck, and another to mount up a vise on a ball mount.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

The previous answers seem a bit more sophisticated (complicated was the first word that came to my mind) than mine. When I'm parked and disconnected I just leave the spring bars resting on my battery box. Admittedly, it's not very security minded, but I have yet to have a problem with anyone taking them. I have done this multiple times when camping as well as at my current location in a mobile home park. They have been there for the last 2 months. They blend in quite well as they are the same color as the battery box and trailer tongue. Also, the box is behind the propane tanks (of which I feel there is a greater chance they go missing...).
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
The previous answers seem a bit more sophisticated (complicated was the first word that came to my mind) than mine. When I'm parked and disconnected I just leave the spring bars resting on my battery box. Admittedly, it's not very security minded, but I have yet to have a problem with anyone taking them. I have done this multiple times when camping as well as at my current location in a mobile home park. They have been there for the last 2 months. They blend in quite well as they are the same color as the battery box and trailer tongue. Also, the box is behind the propane tanks (of which I feel there is a greater chance they go missing...).
X2 except we live on a farm so don't worry where I put them when at home.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

Used to just put them in the Pass-Thru Cargo Bay when not in operation.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

I'm thinking about hanging them inside the front pass through storage.
I could build a little box for the dirty end to sit in and support the other end with a little bracket, or just let the chain end lay on the floor.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10

We have a small storage compartment on the outside of our slide. i keep everything needed for campsite set up in there (ie. hoses, level, extension cords etc). When at the campsite or the trailer is stored, i keep the spring bars in there.
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #11

Giving It A Go

I decided to give one "solution" a try. I installed 2 ABS pipes in the upper area of my "pass through" outside storage compartment. Just hung them from the ceiling using the metal pipe hanger (strapping), and glued a cap on the inside end. In this way, (as my bars are straight), I can keep them up out of the way, and out of sight. I am going away shortly, so will see how it works out in practice then.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions,
Tom
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #12

stop at a carpet store and get one of the heavy cardboard tubes they roll carpet around, should be free. Slip and slightly flatten one end if you have to, slide bars in, or one bar from each end. Keeps grease away from everything till you use the bars again
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage