Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #15

Does your van have a rear anti sway bar. Your E350 more than likely has one, but I believe that's what dustyone was referring to, not the sway bar controller.
Your bushings could be worn down, if you do have the bar.
Years ago I towed a 22' or so trailer with an inline 6 F150 supercab, long bed pick up. It towed fine without any issues, but the weight was near the max for that vehicle. I replaced it with an E150 V8 van with trailer towing pkg. It was horrible/scary pulling that same trailer. After adding a rear anti sway bar to the van, it made all the difference in the world, with the way it handled the trailer.

Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Does your van have a rear anti sway bar. Your E350 more than likely has one, but I believe that's what dustyone was referring to, not the sway bar controller.
Your bushings could be worn down, if you do have the bar.
Years ago I towed a 22' or so trailer with an inline 6 F150 supercab, long bed pick up. It towed fine without any issues, but the weight was near the max for that vehicle. I replaced it with an E150 V8 van with trailer towing pkg. It was horrible/scary pulling that same trailer. After adding a rear anti sway bar to the van, it made all the difference in the world, with the way it handled the trailer.
I am a bit slow, but I do catch on, eventually. So, you are saying there is available a second anti sway bar that is permanently attached to the van under carriage?
When I get my van back, I will crawl under there and look to see if I have it. Honestly, after this latest round in the repair shop, my faith in the V-10 is seriously shaken.
Thank you for info. I kind of think it is there because it used to tow just fine.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Honestly, after this latest round in the repair shop, my faith in the V-10 is seriously shaken.
What year is your van? A couple of years of the V10s were known to have spark plug problems. It was corrected in the later years. There is a Ford service bulletin that was issued on proper repair.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. I will make adjustments when I get my van back. We blew a spark plug on our V10 engine today - the same one from a few weeks ago. This is going to hurt the pocket book.
There are spicific instructions for each type of Ford V10, spark plug replacements. It goes by year and design of head.

If not followed, the plugs blow out or break off in the head.

Insist that the proper procudure is understood and followed.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #19

If you get the class 'A' that you want it will probably have the same V-10 as your van has.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you get the class 'A' that you want it will probably have the same V-10 as your van has.
Not quite the same. The class A has 3 valves per cylinder, while the class C has 2 valves per cylinder. The class A has 362HP, while the class C has 305 HP.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Not quite the same. The class A has 3 valves per cylinder, while the class C has 2 valves per cylinder. The class A has 362HP, while the class C has 305 HP.
The 3 valve came out in 2005. Before that they only had 2 valve, 275, 305 and 310 hp V10s.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #22

I would definitely check the tongue weight if you have the means. Also, I haven't seen this addressed, but are you towing the trailer level (i.e., do you need a drop or raised hitch ball)?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #23

What tires are on the van?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Dusty. I am wondering if the friction strips in the sway bar controller are just too old and hard to do the job. I will also look at the height issue.
While good intentions, Dusty and Mitch are confusing the issue by discussing the anti-sway bar that is mounted under the rear suspension of the van....not the anti-sway friction bar that is mounted on the trailer's tongue/hitch and not explaining the difference.

The van's anti-sway bar could indeed cause some of the van's towing instability, but we need to be aware of the two different devices.

Magellan, you really need to weigh your trailer and know the weights of not only its GVW (actual weight...not the rating) and its tongue weight. Typically, a trailer needs to have approximately 12% to 13% of the trailer's GVW on the tongue. Anything lighter or heavier may cause problems. In addition, and as mentioned above, you need to measure the height of the van's front fender well lip before and after attaching the trailer and adjust the weight distribution unit's chains such that there is no more than 1" difference in the two measurements. You might also have to tilt the hitch ball head mount a little to achieve the desired measurement.

I sure hope you get it worked out...

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #25

He should also consider the use of a Hensley Arrow or a ProPride hitch if he wants to keep the van and stop the sway. After confirming all the suspension is in good shape, including the rear sway bar he may not have.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
[QUOTE=Old Radios;3056923]What year is your van? A couple of years of the V10s were known to have spark plug problems. It was corrected in the later years. There is a Ford service bulletin that was issued on the subject.]

It's a nightmare however you look at it. I should not be having to deal with spark plugs launching themselves out of the engine block at random moments. There should be a Ford recall.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranster View Post
I would definitely check the tongue weight if you have the means. Also, I haven't seen this addressed, but are you towing the trailer level (i.e., do you need a drop or raised hitch ball)?
I have been thinking how to check the tongue weight. I thought about the bathroom scale, but my DW said NO! Actually, it only goes 280 #s. So, if there are some other ideas on how to do this, I am game.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
He should also consider the use of a Hensley Arrow or a ProPride hitch if he wants to keep the van and stop the sway. After confirming all the suspension is in good shape, including the rear sway bar he may not have.
Hensley arrow is intriguing, but the hookin' up looks like it is full of possibilities for frustration. All the reviews said it was wonderful except for that part.