Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #15

Maxxis is my first choice but i needed these tires and couldnt wait, hence i have Carlisle on the boat trlr.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went with the Maxxis 8008's for my travel trailer knowing for our Alaska trip last summer there were going to be a few hundred miles of gravel roads. 14k miles later and they look brand new. Very impressed....they seem to have a better sidewall as I don't get as much bouncing.

Took me two days for Discount Tire to order them from their warehouse. My OEM tires might have had no more than 12,000 miles on them and they were cracking on the sidewalls by the third season....China Bomb Junk.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #17

My understanding is that the m8008 are still tested as trailer tires and tested (at rated load) for 65mph. They can be used faster IF you reduce the weight AND increase the pressure, but don't exceed the max labelled pressure. So the labelled speed rating can be very misleading.

Whereas the new us made tires will be tested for higher speeds.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #18

Who is making tires in the US ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
See post 9.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
My understanding is that the m8008 are still tested as trailer tires and tested (at rated load) for 65mph. They can be used faster IF you reduce the weight AND increase the pressure, but don't exceed the max labelled pressure. So the labelled speed rating can be very misleading.

Whereas the new us made tires will be tested for higher speeds.
Have you got a link for that information........I've never seen that.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Have you got a link for that information........I've never seen that.
I got it from a tire dealer. Here's a similar explanation, quoted from Maxxis

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...d/28558693.cfm

"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH.

However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International – USA
Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com
--

Also on their website, they recommend not towing above 65mph.

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-tire-care-and-faq

Not saying it's not a good tire, just that you shouldn't assume it can be driven fast and at max load, you gotta pick one or the other. When used at the stated pressure and load, you shouldn't exceed 65mph.

PS: I've got 4 on order, so I'm not a hatter, but I also ordered tires rated for 500lbs more than I need.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Rumor is Goodyear...........
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Trailer / RV tires? No one right now.

Goodyear stopped making the Marathons back in 2003 in the USA, moved production to China.

My Maxxis 8008's were only $10 more per tire than the cheaper ones.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the one year I have used them. 14k to Alaska last summer, still look brand new. Have about 10k miles planned for this summer.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #24

Goodyear took trailer tires to China, then back to the USA, then China again and now back to the USA. That gives me a clue about Chinese tires.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
I got it from a tire dealer. Here's a similar explanation, quoted from Maxxis

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...d/28558693.cfm

"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH.

However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International – USA
Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com
--

Also on their website, they recommend not towing above 65mph.

Trailer Tire Care and FAQ | Maxxis Tires USA

Not saying it's not a good tire, just that you shouldn't assume it can be driven fast and at max load, you gotta pick one or the other. When used at the stated pressure and load, you shouldn't exceed 65mph.

PS: I've got 4 on order, so I'm not a hatter, but I also ordered tires rated for 500lbs more than I need.
Thanks for the info and the links. My T.H. has a max loaded weight of 13K and an empty weight of 9K (right at 4K of CCC). I am looking at approx. 11,500 lbs going down the road and the Maxxis are rated at 3420 lbs per tire, so I should be OK for sure. I don't plan on towing at more than 70 MPH, except maybe a short duration while passing someone. I'm looking to be at 67-68 MPH most of the time, as that will give me a little better MPG also. I also have the Tire Minder TPMS and will monitor the pressures and temperatures as I go.

Thanks again for the info......good to know.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Trailer / RV tires? No one right now.

Goodyear stopped making the Marathons back in 2003 in the USA, moved production to China.
/-------------/
Goodyear Endurance are made in the U.S., $135.00 ea in my size...ST235/80R16E

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #27

I sure hope that Carlysle figures out how to make a decent tire as sure couldn't get much worse. The four I had didn't make a year. Went with Maxxis and all is good.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #28

My new 5th wheel came with the following tires:

Provider ST235/85R16
4400 lbs at 110 psi
Speed rating M - 81 MPH
Made in China

Does anyone here know anything about them? The 5th wheel has a GVWR of 15k and the axles are rated at 7k each. I looks like the tires are rated well over the load but I don't know if they are any good.

Tags
tires