RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
ST vers LT tires

I've seen various comments regarding trailer tires. Some advocate changing out to a Goodyear Endurance ST from the stock Chinese tires that come with the trailer. Others say to switch to a LT (light truck) tire for safety. What are 'safe' speeds when cruising? Are the stock Chinese tires safe if tread is good, pressure is good, and age of tire is not too great? What about LT tires?

TenderSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ST tires are specifically made to withstand the twisting forces put on tires during extreme maneuvers, like backing into a site. The LT's are not.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

Tires are changing as we speak. I am looking at trailers over this past month and notice the ST tires now have a speed rating of 75mph. The old speed rating was 65mph

The Goodyear Endurance ST tires have a speed rating of 87mph.

If I buy a new 2020 trailer I will use the factory tires for 2 or 3 years then switch them out to Good Year Endurance tires.

I have no scientific proof to this next statement but you can find the weight of tires. I believe a heavier tire is better than a light tire. My experience with a 2011 5th wheel that came with the classic China Bomb tires. In late 2013 I had a classic blowout. I used the spare until I got to my destination. Once there I order Michelin XPS Rib LT tires. I took off the old tires and easily threw them into the truck bed and took them to the tire shop. The tire shop put the XPS Ribs on my tires. I then remounted the XPS tires on my 5th wheel. Wow, the XPS Ribs were way heavier then the China Bombs. It took all my energy to mount 4 XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel. They were crazy heavy compared to the China Bombs.

Now to make it simple I will put Goodyear Endurance tires on my next trailer.

P.S. Jayco and Lance trailers come from the factory with Goodyear Endurance Tires.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

As long as the LT’s cover your axle ratings, and what they carry they are great.
LT’s have a lower weight capacity than an ST of the same size, but a much higher speed rating.
I run LT’s on our 12,500# 5er, axles only carry a bit over 10,000#.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #5

LOL i wish my axles were light enough to use LT tires. im up to commercial trailer tires. ST tires have a more rugged sidewall. and as tuffr said they now have higher speed ratings.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
LOL i wish my axles were light enough to use LT tires. im up to commercial trailer tires. ST tires have a more rugged sidewall. and as tuffr said they now have higher speed ratings.
In what world do ST tires have more rugged side walls than a LT tire. LT tires are expected to scuff verbs all their life.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #7

I use nothing but LT tires on my 5th wheels. Currently have 5 year old commercial grade Michelin XPS RIBS on my toy hauler. I am against using any Made in China tire as they are worthless in my book. I was surprised yesterday when I bought Hankook ST tires for my RZR's trailer and found they're made in Indonesia. My choices were Chinese tires $55, Hankooks $72, and Endurance $108.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
In what world do ST tires have more rugged side walls than a LT tire. LT tires are expected to scuff verbs all their life.
I don't think any LT tire is "expected to hit curbs. (I suspect you meant curbs and not verbs, I'm not an English major ). I do suspect some difference in sidewall construction in ST vs LT tires. I know the 16s on the 5th wheel have really thick sidewall and I do LT 16s on trucks all the time. They don't appear as thick nor as heavy as the ST tires.

ST tires are designed for the heavy scrubbing on turns and parking manoeuvers.On some trailers it is almost akin to a skid steer like you see on a Bobcat.

LT tires should never see near as much scrubbing on the intended vehicles, trucks.

As for speed ratings,all the 16" and up ST tires I see are 75MPH and sometimes more. IMO anyone running over 75 MPH with a multi ton RV behind them is asking for trouble.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #9

Just my opinion. I think the engineers at the quality tire manufacturers know what they are doing. LT & ST tire are made/designed differently for a reason. As others have stated, ST tires have different loads applied to them than do LT tires. Personally, quality LT tires go on the truck and quality ST tires on all trailers.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Just my opinion. I think the engineers at the quality tire manufacturers know what they are doing. LT & ST tire are made/designed differently for a reason. As others have stated, ST tires have different loads applied to them than do LT tires. Personally, quality LT tires go on the truck and quality ST tires on all trailers.
That sounds like a sensible approach to my quandary! Thanks!
TenderSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
LT tires on my last triple axle (Newmar Kountry Aire) twice i had LT tires rip at the side wall when turning. Not had the problem with ST tires.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #12

My belief - ST tires have never been meant for passenger vehicles. That being the case they do not need to meet the same higher standards. They are made cheaper with slower speed ratings. Look at the speed rating on any LT tire vs any ST tire.

The ST tire sidewall is not thicker nor stiffer than any other tire. My ST tires were flimsy that I replaced. Very flimsy. I saw this and felt it when I picked up a unmounted tire at the tire shop. I thought what a crappy ST tire.

For years and years ST tires had a 65 mph speed rating. Speed rating is how hot and how fast the tire can go before coming apart. While regular passenger tires had speed ratings of 112 or 118 mph.

To recap - ST tires are still not built to the same standard but they are getting better with 75 mph speed rating.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #13

Cheap ST tires and Cheap LT tires. but in a apples to apples comparison. Weight carrying capacity etc. i think youll find ST tires the sidewalls are different.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #14

For heavy fivers the prudent thing to do is switch to 17.5 inch tires and wheels. Much higher load carrying capacity than either garbage STs or most LTs. You can get 17.5 inch size tires with load capacities over 4000 pounds each at almost any large tire dealer. Heck, way back in 2005 my brand new fiver came with LT tires. So LTs on heavier fifth wheels is nothing new, just a better, longer lasting option.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires