Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

Starter Kill Switch ... Security... Any Problem with this set up?

I had a 1967 Chevelle Malibu that I put a simple toggle switch cut off to the starter.

Here's how I did it:

Wire from positive of starter to toggle switch, ground from toggle switch to chassis. If you turned the key nothing would happen but everything would light up.

I haven't seen this anywhere on the internet. Why?

Does anyone know if this would be harmful in any way to a modern truck like the 2500?

Any electricians out there who can give me some advise?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

I don't know if the connection still exists in the dash harness of newer Dodge trucks , but before I retired in 07, there was a clutch switch wiring connector under the dash ; even on trucks with automatics. Clutch had to be depressed to start.
The connector on the automatic , had a plug in wire loop, about 1 1/2" total length , that could be cut and wired to a switch as you describe.
The wiring was a ground , interrupt, for the starter relay , and being a ground , didn't require huge wiring or a heavy duty switch .
If memory serves the connector was green , wiring yellow with a red stripe , right next to the firewall closure plug that blocked off the clutch rod hole.
I might have one in my tool box.... no I'm not a hoarder
If I find it, I'll post a photo.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't know if the connection still exists in the dash harness of newer Dodge trucks , but before I retired in 07, there was a clutch switch wiring connector under the dash ; even on trucks with automatics. Clutch had to be depressed to start.
The connector on the automatic , had a plug in wire loop, about 1 1/2" total length , that could be cut and wired to a switch as you describe.
The wiring was a ground , interrupt, for the starter relay , and being a ground , didn't require huge wiring or a heavy duty switch .
If memory serves the connector was green , wiring yellow with a red stripe , right next to the firewall closure plug that blocked off the clutch rod hole.
I might have one in my tool box.... no I'm not a hoarder
If I find it, I'll post a photo.
Mine's a 2016 and what you are outlining is probably above my simple abilities.

Also, I would be concerned with all the computers in the trucks the computer would have to be told to recognize the clutch needing to be depressed.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

Because it was a system ground on the starter relay, like a neutral safety switch , it didn't bother the Cummins ECM , or the Power train control module on the trucks that I did the switch install on.
About a 20 min. install depending on where you want the switch.
Running the wiring under the carpet to a switch on the side of the seat took a little longer.
I haven't kept up on newer models though
Was a manual trans even available in 2016?
I know the time are changing, and manual trans had a lower trailer tow rating than automatic; even in 2007; so fewer and fewer manual trans equipped trucks out there.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Because it was a system ground on the starter relay, like a neutral safety switch , it didn't bother the Cummins ECM , or the Power train control module on the trucks that I did the switch install on.
Running the wiring under the carpet to a switch on the side of the seat took a little longer.
I know the time are changing, and manual trans had a lower trailer tow rating than automatic; even in 2007; so fewer and fewer manual trans equipped trucks out there.
A google search says the 2016 did have a manual option
Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

I use a device that’s put out by Vandal Alert (I think). My truck is diesel (16 F350) and this replaces the start relay. I have a key fob with two push buttons and have to push 1 in order for the start relay to operate. No glow plugs etc. We were watching the Albuquerque news and they were having 18-30 stolen from Lowe’s Home Depot etc per month. A switch may be a better option though.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm searching the net, and haven't found it . I'll take a look under the dash for it.
Thanks

I found the below; which I think you're talking about.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gTVBmabA7oI/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #8

That's the connector , and here's what's missing (Photo below) the actual connector may have changed from the green connector with the yellow jumper wire to the small jumper with red wire , in 2003 with the major body redo.
Or any number of changes since.
The truck's computers would not react to a switch in this wire any more than they would to, trying to start the engine without having the shifter properly in park or neutral.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch switch connector.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	206639  
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
That's the connector , and here's what's missing (Photo below) the actual connector may have changed from the green connector with the yellow jumper wire to the small jumper with red wire , in 2003 with the major body redo.
Or any number of changes since.
The truck's computers would not react to a switch in this wire any more than they would to, trying to start the engine without having the shifter properly in park or neutral.
Thanks very much. I'll look for it.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
If you are just worried about someone starting it and driving away , I am pretty sure you already have a passive anti-theft. Won't start without a programmed key. Should be in the owners manual.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter, switch