Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

OK, folks, I can honestly say that I am very pleased with the performance of the StrapTek System. We did travel down the expressway and it performed well. I don't think I am going to need the antisway bar either for I didn't notice any problems with sway. I do have concerns with the possibility of deteroration in the strap since they are exposed. I cut some small plastic garbage can to fit over them to keep them out of the weather and sun exposure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

That's good news eyeman, as I just got a set for my Bullet 24rks and Silverado 1500.
How high did you ratchet them up? Did you take height measurements on front/rear of your truck and ratchet them up accordingly?
When I did that, and ratchet mine all the way up, I still had around 1/2 inch rise on the front of my pickup. Maybe I need to tilt my ball mount back a bit.
Dean

Old 07-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #17

Thanks for the updates guys . Keep them coming.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlare View Post
That's good news eyeman, as I just got a set for my Bullet 24rks and Silverado 1500.
How high did you ratchet them up? Did you take height measurements on front/rear of your truck and ratchet them up accordingly?
When I did that, and ratchet mine all the way up, I still had around 1/2 inch rise on the front of my pickup. Maybe I need to tilt my ball mount back a bit.
Dean
I did check the level of trailer and front and rear height of the truck. I was fortunate enough that when I ratcheted it up to leveling of the truck and trailer, it was up to the #4 dot position. At this position it pulled good and sway seemed to be controlled.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #19

So Eyeman, how do you compare the sway before the straps and after with no sway bar either way ?

Thanks Jim
Old 07-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEMAN View Post
I do have concerns with the possibility of deteroration in the strap since they are exposed. I cut some small plastic garbage can to fit over them to keep them out of the weather and sun exposure.
Nylon chokers have often replaced steel ones in the rigging trades--boilermakers, ironworkers, millwrights, machinery movers etc.-- but care must be taken. Any separation or ripping indicates the strap should be junked, period, and right now. When I found a damaged strap on the job I immediately cut it half with my pocket knife.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #21

I added some thick plexiglass "levers" to ease the operation of the ratchet lock. Also keeps my fingers away from the moving parts.
Dean

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
So Eyeman, how do you compare the sway before the straps and after with no sway bar either way ?

Thanks Jim
Only had it out once for about a 40 mile trip and some was on the expressway. So far it seems to do the same job as the anti-sway bar. Will be on the expressway a little more next week and it will have more exposure to big trucks flying by. I'll report back.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Nylon chokers have often replaced steel ones in the rigging trades--boilermakers, ironworkers, millwrights, machinery movers etc.-- but care must be taken. Any separation or ripping indicates the strap should be junked, period, and right now. When I found a damaged strap on the job I immediately cut it half with my pocket knife.
Agreed and this was one of my concerns when replacing the chains with the straps. I was concerned with weather and sun effects on the straps when I did not have the full cover on the trailer. I am protecting them when not in use by covering them with a cut to fit inverted trash can.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #24

Forgive me if this was asked earlier,but, what WDH do you have ? Any pictures ?

Jim
Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #25

Sorry, I haven't gotten back on here before now but I have had a lot going on with a death in the family and other things. The WD system is Eaz-Lift. I have an extra set of the Strapteks that have the D rings instead of the hook. I was sent them and I kept them and put the ones with the hooks on the trailer. I currently have the D ring set on Ebay with a starting bid of $85, which is about half of what they are going for.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:12 AM   #26

Was seriously considering them for my old chain WDH, but i called them and was told replacement straps where not available, you had to replace the whole system. You know they are going to wear out (weather and use ) so i said screw that, and bought a new Husky Centerline TS WDH, love it !!!!