Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #1
DPB

Hello all....I am sooooo confused when trying to figure what my vehicle can handle when towing and find that every person from a dealer to so called experts all have conflicting results in their answers.
My question is....... I am planning on purchasing a 1998 Sunline Solaris T2363 with a weight of 4150# according to the title. I currently have a Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC with a class III hitch (newer factory mount). Will I be able to comfortably tow this trailer SAFELY with this vehicle??
It is funny how I see old LTD's or vintage Pontiacs rolling down the interstate with a 23' TT attached with not a worry in the world!!
My other vehicle is a Chrysler Town and Country van with a 3.8 V6 and also a class 3 hitch installed which I would also like to use to tow this Solaris 23' TT Is there anyone who can clarify this for me and/or use these vehicles to tow this similar TT?? All replies are greatly appreciated as my purchase of this TT is dependent on my vehicles. Thanks to everyone

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #2
DPB

Hello all....I am sooooo confused when trying to figure what my vehicle can handle when towing and find that every person from a dealer to so called experts all have conflicting results in their answers.
My question is....... I am planning on purchasing a 1998 Sunline Solaris T2363 with a weight of 4150# according to the title. I currently have a Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC with a class III hitch (newer factory mount). Will I be able to comfortably tow this trailer SAFELY with this vehicle??
It is funny how I see old LTD's or vintage Pontiacs rolling down the interstate with a 23' TT attached with not a worry in the world!!
My other vehicle is a Chrysler Town and Country van with a 3.8 V6 and also a class 3 hitch installed which I would also like to use to tow this Solaris 23' TT Is there anyone who can clarify this for me and/or use these vehicles to tow this similar TT?? All replies are greatly appreciated as my purchase of this TT is dependent on my vehicles. Thanks to everyone

Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DPB, welcome aboard...

From my past experience towing a 21' trailer with an Explorer, you will pushing the limits if you have the towing package and 3.73 axle. You need to weight the truck with passengers cargo and full fuel. On the drivers dor jamb is a sticker with the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and the owners manual should have a section on towing and provide the GCWR (gross combined weight rating).

GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer weight.
GVWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer tongue weight.

The "tow rating" published by the manufacturer is a maximum and based on a base model truck, no options, no cargo, no hitch and the only passenger is a 150# driver. For every pound you add over the base weight, you reduce the towing capacity by the same amount.

DO not believe the dry trailer weight as it does not include options such as A/C, microwave, batteries and such unless it is standard on that model. Look for a tag (ususlly left front corner of the trailer) with the GVWR of the trailer. This is the max the trailer can weight when loaded. You can use 12% of the GVWR as an approximation of the tongue weight (could be as high as 15%).

The RV dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. So, do the home work yourself and you can make the right decision.

The minivan would be worse off than the Explorer. The SUV's have a high center of gravity and a short wheelbase and makes them less than ideal for towing. Although you see a lot of trailer being towed by SUV's like the Explorer, I am not a fan of them having been there and done that. With the Explorer, I'd stick to a pop up and no more...but that is my opinion.

Ken
Old 05-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
DPB

Thank you TXiceman.....unfortunately I am in a worse situation that you detail being that my axel ratio is 3.55. I guess the purchase is not meant to be since this is a newer vehicle and don't want to start going through another TV + the purchase of the TT. I guess another couple of more years with the Pop up will have to be. Thanks again
Old 05-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might check and see what it would cost you to get a 3.73 axle.

Don't give up on RVing. Pop up trailers are where most of us started. You might also look at the Casita. It is smaller than 23', but a way to start. Or even some of the A-Liners...a hard sided pop up.

Ken
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

Hey DPB..if you don't buy that Sunny, please email me at xxjanaleexx@aol.com as I am looking for a 2363...where are you located anyway? I also have a 2003 Wildwood w/slide to sell as we are having some serious health issues and have to downsize--just don't want to give up just yet though! Thanks...Jan
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer weight.
Ken
This is the key in figuring how much you can tow.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
DPB, welcome aboard...

DO not believe the dry trailer weight as it does not include options such as A/C, microwave, batteries and such unless it is standard on that model. Look for a tag (ususlly left front corner of the trailer) with the GVWR of the trailer. This is the max the trailer can weight when loaded. You can use 12% of the GVWR as an approximation of the tongue weight (could be as high as 15%).

The RV dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. So, do the home work yourself and you can make the right decision.

Ken
These standards may have changed. At least for Evergreen. The last thing they do before they ship them is weigh them and post the weight. That is after all the options have been installed. one model I am looking at shows a UVW as 5080# in the brochure. The same model on the dealer lot shows a UVW of 5213#.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPB View Post
... I am planning on purchasing a 1998 Sunline Solaris T2363 with a weight of 4150# according to the title. I currently have a Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC with a class III hitch (newer factory mount). Will I be able to comfortably tow this trailer SAFELY with this vehicle??
2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L, 3.55 axle ratio, 4x4 or AWD:
Tow limit (GCWR minus curb weight of the tow vehicle) = maximum trailer weight of 3,400. (The tow limit of the 4x2 is less - about 3,250?)

But to get that much tow limit, the tow vehicle must be empty except for a skinny driver and a full tank of gas. No passengers, no cargo of any kind, no tool box, nothing. So it's not suitable for towing a trailer that weighs more than about 3,000 pounds.

Quick research indicates the T2363 will weigh around 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded for the road. So that's too much weight for that tow vehicle.

Quote:
My other vehicle is a Chrysler Town and Country van with a 3.8 V6 and also a class 3 hitch installed which I would also like to use to tow this Solaris 23' TT Is there anyone who can clarify this for me and/or use these vehicles to tow this similar TT??
Max tow limit of a 2005 model with 3.8L V6 = 3,800 pounds. Still not enough tow vehicle for that much trailer. If you promise to not tow on hilly roads nor climb any mountain passes, then you might "get by" with the minivan - assuming you have the 7-pin trailer wiring plug on the van so the trailer brakes will work and the trailer battery charge will be maintained. And a weight-distributing hitch with sway control will be mandatory.

The tow ratings are usually overstated, because they are the maximum you could safely tow with an empty tow vehicle with nothing in it but a skinny driver. Add passengers, luggage, cooler full of cool, tools, spares, ect., and the actual tow rating falls fast.

The GCWR (and the resulting tow rating) is not a legal limit, but is a good indicator of whether you will be able to cruise down the highway without becoming a rolling road block or burning up something expensive in the drivetrain. If you exceed the tow rating, then expect something in the drivetrain to overheat and blow apart on a towing trip, plus you'll have problems climbing normal hills, and you'll really be a poke-along on any mountain pass.

If I wanted to tow a T2363, I would want a tow vehicle with a tow rating of at least 6,000 pounds. My 2003 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L with heavy duty tranny cooler has a tow limit of 6,500 pounds, which would be fine for that trailer.

I rigged up my 2009 Honda Odyssey 3.5L V6 with trailer brakes and tranny cooler, and I sometimes tow a cargo trailer with it. The van's tow limit is 3,500 pounds, so I can haul lightweight bulky items in the trailer, but nothing aproaching the 7,000 pounds GVWR of the trailer. That's what the F-150 is for.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
First congrats on your attention to safety. Hope I can give a little insight on how tis resolved for us. I currently have a 2003 2363. We have had it for 6 years. Other than my VW camper it was our first RV. My first tow vehicle was 2004 Durango with a Hemi. I used a Reese Dual Cam hitch. The Hemi had no problem pulling the unit nor did I have a problem with sway on that wheel base. I had used a weight and wheelbase calculator that put the 2363 at the limits of the Durango. However, I was shocked at the loaded weight of TT and the SUV when I weighed at the scales The hitch was 850 or so and the TT was at 5550. But we were about 600lbs over on the gvwr of the SUV. I had failed to consider all of the items placed in theSUV and the kayaks we carried on top that would have added yet another 150lbs. We then lightened up but did not care for the result or the safety margin we did not have.

18 months ago we purchased a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel. Big jump in capability and a huge difference in peace of mind. If you were going to stay on the coastal plain like we did with Durango it would be one thing but I was greatly relieved we upgraded when we hit the elevations in the west. I am posting this only because for us within specs vs large margins has a different meaning than it did in the beginning.

Finally, we love the 2363. We have made a number of mods that make dry camping a breeze. We have put 23000 on the Ram and love the balance and capabilities of the rig.