Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #1

While on our way home from the Atlanta race we encountered a major traffic jam on I-75 Monday morning, as we got closer we saw a sunnybrook trailer, probably the lite model on its side, the tow vehicle was being hoisted onto the flat bed -looked to be a new dodge durango, hopefully no one was injured It was a bit unnerving to see this especially since I was towing with only 1 weight distributing bar

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #2

While on our way home from the Atlanta race we encountered a major traffic jam on I-75 Monday morning, as we got closer we saw a sunnybrook trailer, probably the lite model on its side, the tow vehicle was being hoisted onto the flat bed -looked to be a new dodge durango, hopefully no one was injured It was a bit unnerving to see this especially since I was towing with only 1 weight distributing bar

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
When we bought our new Sunnybrook in 1999, we were also looking at a 2 year old model. That model was bought by someone with a new Durango and proceeded to flip it the following week. Maybe something about Durangos and Sunny's.

I wonder if a wind gust possibly started the Sunny wagging the short wheel base Durango.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Madame Boomer (my better half) has a 2000 Dodge Durango with 360 cubic inch engine, tow package, etc. She loves the thing - I find it squirrely to drive due to the relatively high center of gravity, tall tire sidewalls, short wheelbase and very quick steering. There's no way that I would tow a TT with it, despite its tow ratings, and I can easily understand how someone could put the thing on its side.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having used a Ford Explorer and a GMC S-15 Jimmy as a tow vehicle for a 21' travel trailer, I can not recommend that anyone use any of the small SUV's as a tow vehicle. The short wheelbase and high center of gravity are just not god for towing much.

Granted the manufacturers have stuck large V-8's in most to get the power up and they can pull, they do not have the basic foundation to pull a large trailer.

Ken
Old 11-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #6

It is really hard to fault the tow vehicle without the entire story first. Just too many variables.

There could have been maintenance issues with either the tow vheilce or trailer, maybe a lack of towing experience, perhaps a hitch problem or even a sway problem caused by poor loading. Speed or road conditions are usually big contributors to roll overs or it could be that the driver was cut off which any driver would have tried to avoid and over it went, even if it was a dually.

I just hope no one was badly hurt and that they will enjoy camping again one day.

Mike.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:27 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My wife recently just bought a used 2001 Durango. I agree I would not be comfortable towing with this with any TT due to all the reasons above. I do believe though that properly setup it would make for an OKAY (not good or ideal) tow vehicle. I agree with 6MISFITZ, you can not just jump to conclusions and blame the tow vehicle without the whole story. It seems as soon as an acident happens and it fits the stereo typed bad tow vehicle, that is what we fall back onto. When I first started with this group, I read a lot of posts saying my setup was not safe, because I was towing a 30' TT with a 1/2 ton pickup. I never had an incident or single problem with properly setup rig. There a lot more variables involved than people take into consideration.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #8

I tow a 31 ft 8,000 lb trailer with a 2005 Hemi Durango,Hensley,Prodigy,3.92 rear rated at 8650 lbs. Another forum got heavily into the Hensley operation and concluded that the apparent pivot point is slightly over 40 inches infornt of the hitch. For my Durango with slightly less that 40 inches of overhang that means that sway just dosen't exist. I have more power than I need, I get 10.5 towing and 17 not towing. My only problems are holding down the speed and leaving enough room for braking. It isn't, however, something I could recommend to another person.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
I would not want to tow a camper that is heavier than say 6000-6500 lb with anything that isn't based upon a 3/4 ton chassis. No matter now much power the vehicle has you are still stuck with light duty brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. A hensley will help with sway. It won't help with braking, etc.

Also, I learned this all the hard way. I had a 1/2 ton Suburban so I though I was good to go. The trailer was within my tow ratings. In the 5 years I had it, I replaced the transmission twice, the engine once, the springs once and shocks twice. It would have actually been cheaper for me to buy the right tow vehicle right away, even if it cost me an extra $10K. Food for thought.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camper1b:
I would not want to tow a camper that is heavier than say 6000-6500 lb with anything that isn't based upon a 3/4 ton chassis. No matter now much power the vehicle has you are still stuck with light duty brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. A hensley will help with sway. It won't help with braking, etc.

Also, I learned this all the hard way. I had a 1/2 ton Suburban so I though I was good to go. The trailer was within my tow ratings. In the 5 years I had it, I replaced the transmission twice, the engine once, the springs once and shocks twice. It would have actually been cheaper for me to buy the right tow vehicle right away, even if it cost me an extra $10K. Food for thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In an ideal world I would have resisted my better half and went with my first choice, a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. I'm stuck with my Durango for a while. After reading the posts on 5th wheel weight restrictions for a 3/4 ton I favor a 1 ton truck when I change. My son's experience driving a F350 DRW inclines me toward a SRW.

Meanwhile I can compensate for the Durango's limitations by driving slow in good weather and using my popup for summer mountain camping. I do like driving the Durango better than my son's F350. In a pinch I could borrow the F350.