Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Sunset Trailer ST190FD

My wife and I took interest in a Crossroads sunset trailer ST190FD (dry weight 3900), we haven't purchased a tow vehicle yet, but we are planning on purchasing a Sequoia. Would you be comfortable pulling this TT with a 5.7L Sequoia (tow cap 7400)? I would have an equalizer/weight distributor installed.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
No problem...I have the smaller Toyota 4-Runner with the smaller 4.7 L V-8 that I pull 4300 dry / 5000 wet 25' hybrid tt with. Mine still has a 7200 tow cap, but for the 4-Runner I wouldn't go much over what I have now because of the shorter wheelbase of the 4-Runner.

Still I would get a weight distribution set-up because the Toyota SUV's tend to have a softer ride. They make for very nice daily drivers....My 05' 4-Runner is very nice as a daily driver, but somewhere in the next year I too will be looking for another tow vehicle. The Sequoia's are just a bit out of my price range. As of about the 10' model year the 4-Runners don't offer V-8's, so I will look at the new re-designed Tundra's with the 5.7 L which are due out in Sept., or the new also re-designed Chevy pick-ups due out in a few months.

Did you ever think about getting a tt with a slide. I notice the ST190FD doesn't have a couch or slide. The Carrying Capacity is 3558 which is larger than huge....For the cabinet space in that unit the average person / couple would be 800 to 1200 lbs of "stuff". there is no way you would ever use 3k+ of cargo....capacity.

I would seriously look at a tt with a slide. In that same line the ST220 would be in the range of the Sequoia.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I appreciate the confirmation and insight.

We will look at TT with slides, we want the double size bunks though for our growing family. The one you mentioned doesn't have the bunks but the next one up does (ST250BH). This one is a bit heavier than the one you mentioned, do you think this is in the capacity of the sequoia?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You mean the 240BH

When you say growing family...I'm going to assume one kid now and maybe another one in the future. ? The ST 240BH would give the adults their own bed and hide-a-way. I like the TV that turns all the way around to face the main living area or just the bedroom. When looking at floorplans, you really have to sit down and close your eyes for a minute to visualize how you will use the space. Like: when its rain, or the campground has a crappy shower facilities do we have enough room for showers, long trips you will want to pack extra stuff.

As far as weight of 5100 dry, I think you will be fine. So your looking at maybe 6100 tops....I think with a slide especially if two kids are in the mix, days when your cooped up inside because of bad weather you will have more options to play board games, watch TV or video's....

We have 25' hybrid which gives us a couch also. So on rainy days I'll claim the couch and my wife and son will get each end of the pit dinette. Just one note: Our old 2005 had a regular two seat dinette like that 190 model, our new 2013 has a "pit or wrap-a-round dinette like the 240 model. The table area is a about 3" shorter in the new RV, but we find we have tons more elbow room....but if we had two kids and they were teenagers the table eating area would be a little tight as far as table space. Here is a pic of each to get the idea. 2005 with a regular dinette 2013 with the pit dinette

We have 3 of us and I still watch what we keep in the RV's storage cabinets. Last March when we cleaned out the old 2005 (24') trailer I looked over everything we had packed in it to transfer to the new 2013 (25') trailer and said did I use this item in the 7 seasons ( 380 nights camped )we owned the old trailer to keep it in the new one....Nope out that item went....I have one cabinet (yes, the DW gave me one to myself) I keep my Vacuum (Shark) small box of flashlights, a box full of fix-it items (tape, assorted screws, bolts & nuts, lightbulbs, wax rags, bike inner tubes and a few bike parts) Trust me when you have kids and bikes, things will break. So far I have been able to fix every biking mishap. We have 3 outside storage bins where one of them I keep a complete basic tool kit and a small tool box.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote