Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #1

Super Duty in the works

I've decided my 4 year old F150 Ecoboost is due for replacement and am looking at replacing it with a Super Duty. So the research starts. It turns out there is less difference between an F250 and F350 than I thought, especially price. In looking at inventory, the price difference is only a few hundred dollars. In looking at specs, the difference is mostly the rear suspension. The F350 has overload springs that add about 750 lbs to the payload rating.
Also, finding a Super Duty with the factory fifth wheel prep package is rare indeed. My dealer said to just order to get what I want.
And now I have to decide on what I want versus what I need, like sliding rear window and tail gate step. I know I need the fiver prep. I will also need running boards so I can get in it. Since I tow in the mountains and may eventually get a much heavier fiver, do I need a 3.55 rear vs the standard 3.31? Probably. And I know from personal experience that I need the backup sensors. LOL!
Then there is the whole price negotiation nightmare. With the F150, I got 3 quotes via the USAA buyer program and used those to beat my local dealer down another 3,000 or so from his "bottom line."
I am just kind of putting this out there for feedback.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I've decided my 4 year old F150 Ecoboost is due for replacement and am looking at replacing it with a Super Duty. So the research starts. It turns out there is less difference between an F250 and F350 than I thought, especially price. In looking at inventory, the price difference is only a few hundred dollars. In looking at specs, the difference is mostly the rear suspension. The F350 has overload springs that add about 750 lbs to the payload rating.
Also, finding a Super Duty with the factory fifth wheel prep package is rare indeed. My dealer said to just order to get what I want.
And now I have to decide on what I want versus what I need, like sliding rear window and tail gate step. I know I need the fiver prep. I will also need running boards so I can get in it. Since I tow in the mountains and may eventually get a much heavier fiver, do I need a 3.55 rear vs the standard 3.31? Probably. And I know from personal experience that I need the backup sensors. LOL!
Then there is the whole price negotiation nightmare. With the F150, I got 3 quotes via the USAA buyer program and used those to beat my local dealer down another 3,000 or so from his "bottom line."
I am just kind of putting this out there for feedback.
Remember well your early posts about 5th wheel towing with the F150.

Didn't see you mention gas or diesel, but with the 3.31 rear end, I guess you're considering the PowerStroke?

If I were going to a Powerstroke and 5th wheel towing, the F350 would almost be a requisite for the payload.
If I were going with the 6.2L, think the F250 would work fine.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Remember well your early posts about 5th wheel towing with the F150.

Didn't see you mention gas or diesel, but with the 3.31 rear end, I guess you're considering the PowerStroke?

If I were going to a Powerstroke and 5th wheel towing, the F350 would almost be a requisite for the payload.
If I were going with the 6.2L, think the F250 would work fine.
The only issues I have towing with the F150 Ecoboost is that I believe my left exhaust manifold is warped and leaking due to long hard pulls up the mountains of Wyoming and the fact that I am maxed out as far as fivers go. A redesign of the exhaust manifold with an extra stud between cylinder 5 & 6 would take care of that issue.
Powerstroke, definitely as the 6.2L is a pig in the SuperDuty. If I got an F250, I would add the $160 camper package for rear overload springs, but pretty much plan to just go with the F350 and not worry about it. I am only amazed by the lack of inventory in my area, almost no diesels as most of them all of them are used as plow trucks where the 6.2L would be fine. Also, the majority of them are XLs and I want the XLT for a lot more creature comfort. :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Powerstroke, definitely as the 6.2L is a pig in the SuperDuty. If I got an F250, I would add the $160 camper package for rear overload springs, but pretty much plan to just go with the F350 and not worry about it. I am only amazed by the lack of inventory in my area, almost no diesels as most of them all of them are used as plow trucks where the 6.2L would be fine. Also, the majority of them are XLs and I want the XLT for a lot more creature comfort. :-)
Have you considered the new gas 6.4L in the RAM 2500?
Heard many good reports about that, although it's still new.

Don't want to start a gas vs diesel debate here, but have seen a lot of folks moving from diesel to the newer gas V8s in the heavy trucks. There still seem to be a lot of expensive issues with the new diesels, emission controls, high pressure fuel pumps, ...

I've been a diesel fan since our 2005 Passat TDI (still chugging up in Prince George), but am having second thoughts about these newer ones.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Have you considered the new gas 6.4L in the RAM 2500?
Heard many good reports about that, although it's still new.

Don't want to start a gas vs diesel debate here, but have seen a lot of folks moving from diesel to the newer gas V8s in the heavy trucks. There still seem to be a lot of expensive issues with the new diesels, emission controls, high pressure fuel pumps, ...

I've been a diesel fan since our 2005 Passat TDI (still chugging up in Prince George), but am having second thoughts about these newer ones.
If it is not turbo charged, it probably is not a good tow vehicle. The Ecoboost has just been amazing and I have never wanted for more truck or better tow vehicle for my current fiver, but I am looking ahead. I would only consider Dodge for the Cummins engine. BTW, Ford has a redisigned HPFP for 2015, an improvement from what I've heard.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
If it is not turbo charged, it probably is not a good tow vehicle. The Ecoboost has just been amazing and I have never wanted for more truck or better tow vehicle for my current fiver, but I am looking ahead. I would only consider Dodge for the Cummins engine. BTW, Ford has a redisigned HPFP for 2015, an improvement from what I've heard.
Good point as you are towing at higher elevations. Also, I understand the engine brakes are fantastic on the new Diesels; also great in the mountains.

Heh, I keep going back and forth on this. Maybe by the time I get around to buying a new truck, all issues will be resolved, one way or another!

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #7

Get the F350. While the F250 has been improved recently, it still may sag more than you want.

Get the 3.55 gears, no reason not to as there will be very little loss of MPG and it will be better for the transmission.

The tailgate is a must for folks that have any difficulty jumping in and out of the bed. Having said that, an after-market unit that attaches to the side of the tailgate may be better when towing. Can you leave the tailgate on with the fiver attached?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Get the F350. While the F250 has been improved recently, it still may sag more than you want.

Get the 3.55 gears, no reason not to as there will be very little loss of MPG and it will be better for the transmission.

The tailgate is a must for folks that have any difficulty jumping in and out of the bed. Having said that, an after-market unit that attaches to the side of the tailgate may be better when towing. Can you leave the tailgate on with the fiver attached?
Thanks for your input and you are thinking along the same lines that I am.
Yes, the tailgate is not a issue with the fiver hooked up. You just need to drop it for hooking and unhooking.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your input and you are thinking along the same lines that I am.
Yes, the tailgate is not a issue with the fiver hooked up. You just need to drop it for hooking and unhooking.
I agree with others. If you will be towing a 5th wheel, get the F350. There are many +'s and few -'s. Definitely, by all means, get the OEM 5th wheel prep. It is probably the best option I have ever had. I had a B&W OEM Companion and could install/remove it in about 2 min with no tools, and gives you a clean bed surface. I'm surprised that you can't find one with it on the lot, since they are such a bargain. It cost much more money to have one installed aftermarket They are pretty common around here because they are also a gooseneck hitch receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	82018  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

"Ford has a redisigned HPFP for 2015, an improvement from what I've heard"

Why take a chance? They have been "improving" that engine since it came out in 11.

I would not hesitate buying a gas engine Ford but no way a Diesel. You get water in fuel, warranty denial!

Do your self a favor and LOOK at all three and really check them out. I prefer RAM because the CUMMINS engine in the 3 I have owned have been excellent along with the box around it.

The CUMMINS/Aisin trans are both medium duty. They back up their claims by meeting the SAE J2807 standards.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
You cannot simply order the 3.55 axle ratio. On a 2015 F-350 SRW PSD, 3.31 is standard. 3.55 comes only with an upgraded suspension pkg, either
1] Heavy Service Front Suspension Pkg (67H),
2] Snow Plow Prep pkg (474), or
3] Camper Pkg (471)

I would order the camper pkg. That gets you slightly stiffer front springs, a rear stabilizer bar (anti-sway bar), and the 3.55 axle ratio. Not available with 20" tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
...I want the XLT for a lot more creature comfort. :-)
Don't stop there. The Lariat trim is expensive but well worth the money. Study the differences in the Major Product Summary in the Order Guide. For one thing, study the tow mirrors. On The XLT, they are manual telescope and manual fold. On the Lariat they are PowerScope = power telescope and power fold. The PowerScope mirrors are great for going in and out of a garage without having to get out and fold or unfold the mirrors. Just mash a button and they move in or out, and fold or unfold. A biggie is the 8" LCD color touch screen in the dash of the Lariat, along with the 4.2" LCD Productivity screen. Good stuff. I'm not a fan of the Lariat leather seat covers, but Darling Wife loves them.

And yes, be certain to order the 5er/gooseneck prep kit. It's a steal compared to ordering the Reese Elite rail kit then removing the bed to install it. In addition to the Reese Elite 5er hitch, the SuperGlide hitch and the B&W companion hitch and a few others now come in a version to plug into the prep kit.

The PSD nuts hang out at TheDieselStop.com. I've been a moderator there since 1999, but I haven't kept up with the changes in PSDs for the last few years since I sold my PSD and bought my EcoBoost. First check out the X-Plan rules. X-Plan probably won't save you much money, but if you hate the negotiation quagmire as much as I do, you'll love it.
'11-Up Ordering Information - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You cannot simply order the 3.55 axle ratio. On a 2015 F-350 SRW PSD, 3.31 is standard. 3.55 comes only with an upgraded suspension pkg, either
3] Camper Pkg (471)

I would order the camper pkg. That gets you slightly stiffer front springs, a rear stabilizer bar (anti-sway bar), and the 3.55 axle ratio. Not available with 20" tires.

And yes, be certain to order the 5er/gooseneck prep kit. It's a steal compared to ordering the Reese Elite rail kit then removing the bed to install it. In addition to the Reese Elite 5er hitch, the SuperGlide hitch and the B&W companion hitch and a few others now come in a version to plug into the prep kit.

The PSD nuts hang out at TheDieselStop.com. I've been a moderator there since 1999, but I haven't kept up with the changes in PSDs for the last few years since I sold my PSD and bought my EcoBoost. First check out the X-Plan rules. X-Plan probably won't save you much money, but if you hate the negotiation quagmire as much as I do, you'll love it.
'11-Up Ordering Information - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Thanks, I had figured some of that out. The salesman said that the plow package is a big plus up here in VT. The camper package at $160 may be the cheapest way to get the 3.55 as it includes the front-end as well, but I'll see what the $85 plow package gets me.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP :
Yes I'd just order a truck to get exactly what you want.
I'd go with the 3.55 gears over the 3.31 if you have a choice.
I 2nd the B&W hitch recommendation.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
This is interesting and new.

Quote:
3] Camper Pkg (471)
When we bought my wife's 2013 F250, I wanted one with 3.31 gears and all I could find was 3.55's. I looked on Texas Ford Dealers.com, which shows the inventory of every Ford Dealer in the state. About 8/10 F250 / F350 had 3.55 gears in 2013. Now that I sold the Dually and, it the F250 is becoming my work truck, I am glad it has 3.55's. It may actually pull something now.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote