Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Superglide capture plate warning

Forest River Forums - View Single Post - Pullrite Superglide 2900

Picked up our new Sierra 380BH5. I had the dealer (camping world) install the Pullrite Superglide 2900. So we are driving down the road and the hitch is bouncing back and forth. Literally feels like a car accident every time I stop and start up (I think we have whiplash).

We pull over and call the dealer and are assured that everything's fine and that I just have to learn how to feather the break and gas. We continue down the road and I'm dreading every stop and start. The missus is really upset.

So after about 30 miles to the campground (and dozens of earth rattling bangs), we pull into our site and try to unhook and it's literally impossible. The king pin receptacle "V" is at a 90 degree angle no matter what we do.

So my wife goes online and I start reading the manual. I read this interesting bit about a capture plate....and it being required for proper function. The dealer never installed a capture plate. So at this point I have a truck hooked up which I can't unhook. After some crazy scary maneuvers with the missus backing up while I'm holding the lever with both hands pulling with all 250+ pounds and I finally get it unhooked.

My dilemma. The dealer is ordering a capture plate but I'm terrified of driving back to camping world. Hooking up is easing unhooking not so much as already described. Some say that if you get the right capture plate it's a do it yourself project with no drilling.

After posting on another site, I think I've decided to call pullrite to make sure the right item is being ordered and will install it myself.

I am posting this here to hopefully help others. I understand that I could have had an accident or ruined the back of my brand new truck. Someone on another forum years ago had that happen. Keep on rving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

You can't use that hitch properly without a capture plate. So I would NOT pull with that hitch otherwise.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

Superglide capture plate warning

Get the capture plate made specifically for you pin box, not the universal one. Takes 5 minutes or less to install, just one bolt and no drilling. It'll come with a bolt, a nut, and a little square plastic piece that the bolt will tighten up against to help hold the capture plate on. It's extremely easy and quick to do if you get the one made specifically for your pin box.

I also agree with not towing it without the capture plate. I know the capture plate is what makes the slider work but not 100% sure if it's unsafe to tow without the plate, I never did. I would confirm first though for sure.

There's also a large bolt and nut on the front of the 2900. You can adjust it to take up any slack. Push the hitch all the way forward which is the tow position and pull straight back on the head. There should not be much, if any, slack otherwise when you take off you'll hear and feel a clunking noise as the hitch slams back and forth.

I just recently gave away my capture plate for a Lippert 1116. They are on Craigslist sometimes.

One more thing, on my Superglide 2900 I would have trouble sometimes unhooking if pressure was on the jaw and pin. Just put a chock behind the wheels of the trailer and back up against them to take the pressure off. You may already know this information but my 2900 was finicky unhooking if there was any pressure, otherwise I liked the hitch a lot. I'd be beyond pissed and would let Camping World know. I'd also make sure no damage was done to the hitch if it was 90 degrees off because it was definitely not in the correct position and assume it was way off while towing also.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfranco View Post

Picked up our new Sierra 380BH5. I had the dealer (camping world) install the Pullrite Superglide 2900. So we are driving down the road and the hitch is bouncing back and forth. Literally feels like a car accident every time I stop and start up (I think we have whiplash).

We pull over and call the dealer and are assured that everything's fine and that I just have to learn how to feather the break and gas. We continue down the road and I'm dreading every stop and start. The missus is really upset.

So after about 30 miles to the campground (and dozens of earth rattling bangs), we pull into our site and try to unhook and it's literally impossible. The king pin receptacle "V" is at a 90 degree angle no matter what we do.

So my wife goes online and I start reading the manual. I read this interesting bit about a capture plate....and it being required for proper function. The dealer never installed a capture plate. So at this point I have a truck hooked up which I can't unhook. After some crazy scary maneuvers with the missus backing up while I'm holding the lever with both hands pulling with all 250+ pounds and I finally get it unhooked.

My dilemma. The dealer is ordering a capture plate but I'm terrified of driving back to camping world. Hooking up is easing unhooking not so much as already described. Some say that if you get the right capture plate it's a do it yourself project with no drilling.

After posting on another site, I think I've decided to call pullrite to make sure the right item is being ordered and will install it myself.

I am posting this here to hopefully help others. I understand that I could have had an accident or ruined the back of my brand new truck. Someone on another forum years ago had that happen. Keep on rving.
chfranco
IMO the 1st 7 words of your 1st sentence explains why you have a problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Installing the capture plate is no big deal. It's a set screw, but definitely get the one for your king pin and not the universal capture plate. My dealer didn't order the right one and would let us take the trailer until they got the correct one installed. We have a good dealer!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
PullRite hitch failure
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Without a capture plate your WHOLE fifth wheel is sliding up and down the "W" of the slider without ANY hinderance...

Damaging at best, dangerous at worst !!!!
Have a 4400 superglide in the garage for sale and I would be expecting a damaged hitch from 10 to 15k pounds banging back and forth on the hitch !
In the wrong conditions, it could have slid to one side and flipped the rig over!

You have a legal claim against the mental dwarfs at camping world ...
go to rv.net and "ask Marcus" what he is going to do about it ?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I also agree with not towing it without the capture plate. I know the capture plate is what makes the slider work but not 100% sure if it's unsafe to tow without the plate, I never did. I would confirm first though for sure.
I can tell you exactly what will happen, as my RV was in for service and the bozo's removed the capture plate, broke the bolt, and then hid.. I mean forgot to install it.

I hooked up to it and drive to drive off, immediately the entire thing slid and rotated 90 degrees. At a minimum you're adding 1.5" feet of free play in the entire setup - that's a lot of chucking.

I'd insist that camping world bring it to me and install it. (It's really trivial to install, btw).
Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

You had the dealer install the hitch in your truck and bought and picked up the FW from them, and they didn't install the capture plate? That has to be one of the most dangerous things I've heard about. You're damned lucky you didn't lose the FW and kill someone. BTW, the capture plates are different for each pin box. Some attach with one keeper bolt, some require drilling, and occasionally welding is required.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

This is so scary how ignorant some dealers are. I had the same issue today. I took my brand new FW to a local dealer to have a Flex Air King Pin installed. When I called and set up the appt I mentioned that I needed a capture plate because I had a SuperGlide hitch. They said "Do you have a capture plate now?" I said yes of course. They said well it should work on this new king pin. That just did not seem right so I called Pull Rite and of course they confirmed it was not the same capture plate. I called the dealer back and they were surprised and said they were going to call Lippert and PullRite and get to the bottom of it. I hung up feeling confident. So I go pick up the FW today and my mistake I should have checked it out closer. However I had never seen this king pin before and for that matter I really had no reason to check. So I hook up and go to pull out of the parking lot and "BAM!!" It felt like I was rear ended. With every touch of the gas or brake I could see the king pin sliding forward and back about 12 inches followed by a loud BANG. I made the block and pulled back in to find my hitch turned at a 90 degree angle (by that I mean the release handle is pointing straight back at the tailgate. After lots of jockeying back and forth we were able to get the FW off the truck. The service writer came out with a technician and he said oh they put the capture plate in the front compartment. My response was 1. Why?? and 2. Why wasn't I informed? Of course I was much more upset and there was many $%&*# involved. So we get the capture plate out and surprise surprise, its not even the right plate!!! They don't have the correct one and will have to order it tomorrow. These guys are amazing. At this point I don't know what to do. I drove an hour home just steaming. Having to sit in rush hour traffic didn't help. LOL
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

Personally I would not let CW touch my truck under any circumstances. Find a proper hitch shop and get it done right.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfranco View Post

Pull Rite makes a plate that locks the hitch so it will not move so you can use it like a normal fixed hitch. Mine came with one.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 PM   #13

I would not move it without the capture plate if that is your question. As far as installing it yourself it's really easy.