Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
JPP

I am buying my first 5th wheel, a 2008 Jayco Eagle superLite 30.RLS, (7600 pounds, dry).
Do one of you knows what model of King Pin is installed by Jayco in this unit (Lippert ? or something else ? number of the box model ?).

I intend to buy the superglide hitch, I need this specification to order the parts and has difficulties to get in touch with the seller actually (vacation time).

This will be to installed on a 2005 Ford F-250, short bed (6'6). Any experience to share with this type of installation ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
JPP

I am buying my first 5th wheel, a 2008 Jayco Eagle superLite 30.RLS, (7600 pounds, dry).
Do one of you knows what model of King Pin is installed by Jayco in this unit (Lippert ? or something else ? number of the box model ?).

I intend to buy the superglide hitch, I need this specification to order the parts and has difficulties to get in touch with the seller actually (vacation time).

This will be to installed on a 2005 Ford F-250, short bed (6'6). Any experience to share with this type of installation ?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #3

jjp should be a sticker on pin box if not call jayco direct if your looking for a deal on a superglide go to kearbey.homestead.com
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Another source for the PullRite SuperGlide hitch is RVupgrades, one of our iRV2.com site sponsors. You can check out their selection and prices HERE.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
It shouldn't matter what type of pinbox the trailer has. A 5th wheel hitch will work w/ any type. You only need the install kit for the particular vehicle.
The superglide is a good choice. When I had a shortbed truck, I wouldn't have had anything else.
The hitch, with the superrails, isn't difficult to install. Brackets use existing holes in frame. You will need a hole saw and measure carefully.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to RoryTek
Evan it does matter on what type of pinbox you have in order to get the right adapter plate that mounts to the pinbox. You can not just hook your 5th wheel to a SuperGlide without it.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #7

Have you checked the towing capacity of the F250? That trailer will probably weigh between 8000 and 9000 pounds loaded for travel. From the rated towing capacity of the truck you will need to subtract the weight of any accessories (including the hitch), any passangers, any cargo and anything the driver weighs over 150 pounds.

Also, check the weight on the Rear axel of the truck. Fifth wheels put up to 20% of their weight right over the rear axel and you don't want to exceed the maximum rear axel weight either.

What size and fuel is the engine? Diesel or large (8L) gas seems best to get up hills. Does it have the tow package? An automatic transmission without a transmission cooler tends to die an early death when towing.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
A kingpin box is a 2 piece unit. The bracket that gets welded to the frame and the kingpin box. The model number on the pinbox usually relates to the height of the bracket, the length of the kingpin box and how the the kingpin box mounts in the bracket (bolt holes). It also relates to the type of pinbox (short, medium, long or telescoping and if telescoping whether it is 34/45/72 degrees). However I believe the surface area of the kingpin is common and should not be an issue. You may need this model number if you get a more "permanent" mounted plate.

Superglide has a universal plate now that attaches with set screws, 2 on each side. An allen wrench is used to install or remove the plate. On and off very easily. I saw this in a dealer a few weeks ago. But verified that today at the Hershey RV Show.

BTW - Welcome to iRV2.com. We hope you keep us up to date with your travels and experiences.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #9

Lippert in 2006 anyway made 2 different width mounting surface areas, 12.75" wide (my 1621HD) and I think a 13.25" or something like that.

Best to call Jayco if you do not have access to the trailer or one exactly like it.

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #10

The Superglide hitch is a good unit, but in Nov Trailer Life there is a letter about a failure in a hitch due to not lubricating the slide tubes. Claim denied because of seizing/galling on the slide tube, indicating not being lubed. Just be aware of the required maintainance.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wingnut,
I am glad you brough that up, any moving part in a hitch or otherwise should be looked at, and most require some form of maintenance from cleaning to lubricating. Please contact you manufacture to make sure you are doing the correct maintenace not to void our warranties. Now that the season is over for many of in the Northeast, it is time to do that so we are already in the spring.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wingnut60:
The Superglide hitch is a good unit, but in Nov Trailer Life there is a letter about a failure in a hitch due to not lubricating the slide tubes. Claim denied because of seizing/galling on the slide tube, indicating not being lubed. Just be aware of the required maintainance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed; lubing the slide tubes is a must; our dealer emphasized this more than once. Use spray on White Grease. Two seasons so far and absolutely no problems. We tow with a 2004 F-250 short box-turns and tows beautifully.
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Superglide also makes a spray, I highly reccomend it. It is almost like a graphite, and will not collect dirt like the white grease.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NYMoose "Lenny":
Superglide also makes a spray, I highly reccomend it. It is almost like a graphite, and will not collect dirt like the white grease. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip, Lenny....I'll look for some. White grease makes kind of a mess and needs cleaning off periodically. In fact, that's one of my little projects for today

Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote