Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Suspension Helper Springs

Newbie here. The search function was cranky on my tablet so sorry if this has been covered elesewhere.

Issue is porposing of TV and TT when hitting dips in the road. I'd like insight on ways to minimize as much as possible. I know there are many factors that contribute to this and may not be easily or able to correct.

Setup
F150 ecoboost with max tow and payload package. Truck has plenty of power and all weights are within legal rated limits although I am close on rear axle limit.

Outback 300rb. 30 ft 8800lbs loaded. Extremely heavy tongue weight especially with fresh water. 1250lbs - 1300lb tongue weight

WD = Equalizer 4 point with 1200lb bars

Upgraded heavy duty rancho rear shocks. Don't recall model numbers.

I like the set up and feel safe however I'm trying to eliminate the bouncing. Wondering if better shocks, helper springs or air bags would help. Other thoughts? Not looking to level truck but stiffen it up a bit under load and dampen.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by immarkhe View Post
Newbie here. The search function was cranky on my tablet so sorry if this has been covered elesewhere.

Issue is porposing of TV and TT when hitting dips in the road. I'd like insight on ways to minimize as much as possible. I know there are many factors that contribute to this and may not be easily or able to correct.

Setup
F150 ecoboost with max tow and payload package. Truck has plenty of power and all weights are within legal rated limits although I am close on rear axle limit.

Outback 300rb. 30 ft 8800lbs loaded. Extremely heavy tongue weight especially with fresh water. 1250lbs - 1300lb tongue weight

WD = Equalizer 4 point with 1200lb bars

Upgraded heavy duty rancho rear shocks. Don't recall model numbers.

I like the set up and feel safe however I'm trying to eliminate the bouncing. Wondering if better shocks, helper springs or air bags would help. Other thoughts? Not looking to level truck but stiffen it up a bit under load and dampen.

Thanks

Cold reality. You have too much RV for your TV. Apply all the Band-Aids you want facts are facts.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Is there any way you can get rid of some of the tongue weight by moving things around in the trailer?? Might help the most. The weight police will be around to tell you more I'd bet. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #4

I'd check your tongue weight too. Sounds pretty high and the hitch or manual should tell you the max weight you should have on the tongue. Did you use a tongue scale or was that a guess? Try moving weight in the TT toward the back.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Not enough damping for the springs. If you increase spring rate you'll need increased damping forces to control it. Although shock manufacturers say "heavy duty" that says nothing about the damping curves.

You could try using good OEM shocks (like bilsteins) for a 1-ton, but the majority of the springs in your setup (trailer and the bars on your hitch) are undamped.

If I was throwing parts at it I'd try the 1-ton shocks and then look for a shock kit for the trailer. That will control everything except the hitch bars. Next thing would be 3/4 T rear springs or air bags, but the damping really needs to be sized to the spring rate.

Like others have said though, not enough truck is the main problem.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #6

I was prepared to hear I might need bigger/better TV.

Hitch weight dry is spec'd at 960. I weighed at cat scales as well as the bathroom scale with levers trick. Both came back around 1280 with 3/4 tank of fresh water

Been starting to look at 2500hd duramax

Thanks for the input
Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by immarkhe View Post
I was prepared to hear I might need bigger/better TV.

Hitch weight dry is spec'd at 960. I weighed at cat scales as well as the bathroom scale with levers trick. Both came back around 1280 with 3/4 tank of fresh water

Been starting to look at 2500hd duramax

Thanks for the input
Good call on looking for a HD truck.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

According to Keystones site the dry hitch is 1115lbs. Either way it's too much for that truck. Your receiver is rated for 1130 max so you're over that.
Time for a 2500-3500 IMO. Might as well spend the extra $8-900.00 for a 1 ton.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Sounds like your wanting a new truck

For what ever reason Dodge stopped using aux overloads on the 3rd gen trucks starting in '03.
My '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins sags bad with just 1500-1800 lbs in the bed. I found Supersprings stops the sag and still has a stock ride when empty.

I've also seen other F150 owners with the 7700 GVWR package complaining of maxing or over loading the trucks small 4050 RAWR by using 7700 GVWR to figure a payload.

Now load more the the bed of the truck and get a new weight ticket. That will convince the little women you need a new truck.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
According to Keystones site the dry hitch is 1115lbs. Either way it's too much for that truck. Your receiver is rated for 1130 max so you're over that.
Time for a 2500-3500 IMO. Might as well spend the extra $8-900.00 for a 1 ton.
The 14 is very heavy hitch. Not sure what changed. I have the 13 which is 990lbs. I typo'd op. But point taken I know I am pushing limits.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #11

You say you have Max Tow and payload package. Do you mean the Heavy Duty payload package that gives you an 8200lb GVW?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #12

With that much tongue weight, I bet you're hitting the bump stops in the rear, on top of overloading those rear springs. I also bet the rear end squats a lot with the trailer hooked up.

I'm towing a similar weight TT, 9K pounds with a 1,300 pound tongue weight but with an *F250*, 2013 diesel. The rear end squatted enough on mine that I put air bags on it, and the F150 rear end is a lot softer than my truck. I know because I used to own an Ecoboost. I think you're best option on this truck is to install air bags.

A better option would be to get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck if you do any long, hilly, or windy towing.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You say you have Max Tow and payload package. Do you mean the Heavy Duty payload package that gives you an 8200lb GVW?
I have the Max Tow Package and Heady Duty Payload package. According to my recollection with the 2012 that gave me 2000lbs of payload. Max Tow was 11,300 trailer weight with a combined overall GCRW of 17100.

I think in '14 they added some extra payload capabilities.

Keep in mind this is not so much about load leveling. I'm trying to dampen the ride. With the equalizer I'm able to distribute weight nicely. The current set up throws about 300lb of tongue back on the trailer axles so figure 900lb on tongue. Rear end drops about an 1 1/2in and the front stays about the same maybe up 1/4in

My thinking is heavier shocks on TV to dampen bounce and wondered if stiffening suspension (Springs or airbags) would reduce travel hence reduce bounce.

Definitely not bottoming out but it may be close. Also considering the idea of shock kit on TT. Been doing some research and looks to be a positive move if nothing else to save on tires and TT wear.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #14

You may not think you're bottoming out, but it's worth taking a look next time you hook to see how close you are to the bump stops, and compare that to the distance when unloaded. Easy thing to check and if you are hitting the stops, the ride will feel terrible.

Either way, with that much tongue weight, I think air bags will help with the ride quality. It did on my F250.

Tags
suspension