Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Suspension Question

I just towed for first time with my new F350 DRW & Reese Elite 26.5 hitch. While there was no chucking/slippage in the hitch and I'm very impressed with the Reese, I did encounter some very rough hits on the truck rear axle. Also when I loaded my coach it did drop the rear end to just below level, about 2-4 inches.
My questions are;
1. Install better shocks?
2. Install air bags?
3. Install air hitch?
4. Some combo of these?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Have you weighed your setup fully loaded? Before you spend money on modifications i suggest you start with all the weights. Weigh each tire position, and each axle and then the FW and TV separately. You should be able to find a commercial scale that will cooperate. Armed with this information you can assess what needs to be done to improve the outcome. You may find that the pin weight is too high and simply relocating some items to the rear of the FW will help reduce the problems. All of this said having an air hitch can help reduce the shock loads on the TV and FW. I hope this helps!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Brain, with my prior 2001, 33ft Excel...I towed with a 2011 F350 DRW, I had a similar drop and installed airbags on the rear to help level the truck. I had a pin of #3025 which was well below the capacity for the axle. I did it more for looks when towing than anything else. I used 40# in the bags for the ride height I wanted.

I now have a 2014 F350, single wheel and tow a 29 ft Alpenlite with a pin of #2675 and had some sag and run 15# in the bags to level the truck. The best ride for me is to have the spring bumpers resting on the upper springs and use a combination of bags and springs to support and level the truck.

I also use the Reese hitch....what did you mean by: While there was no chucking/slippage in the hitch and I'm very impressed with the Reese, I did encounter some very rough hits on the truck rear axle.

Chris
Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You need to know the weights to make the proper decision. If you have overloaded the rear end adding air bags will not change the GAWR (rear) so you have to change the loading of the trailer and what you put in the back of the truck.

I wonder about what you call rough hits on the rear axle. Is the GW loaded at the time? Do you get porposing with a 1,000 lbs so far back? Was there simply a rough transverse or depressed crack you hit?

The unit should be OK but would need numbers to determine if what we are thinking is actually correct.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
I now have a 2014 F350, single wheel and tow a 29 ft Alpenlite with a pin of #2675 and had some sag and run 15# in the bags to level the truck. The best ride for me is to have the spring bumpers resting on the upper springs and use a combination of bags and springs to support and level the truck.
To clarify what I was referring to when I mentioned spring bumpers....it's the upper bumpers mounted on the frame and not the axle.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #6

You're right about needing to reweigh my coach now that I've added the Swivelwheel & and Goldwing into the equation. I did weigh it prior to exiting CA, it was 13,891, my max is 15K. Pin was 2098, I was just over on my pin but not tow capacity, which is 16.2K with my F250. Adding the Swivelwheel and Goldwing added about 1300lbs tow capacity but should have lessened my pin. What I meant by chucking/slipping is that what I got with my Pull Rite slider.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #7

You're right about needing to reweigh my coach now that I've added the Swivelwheel & and Goldwing into the equation. I did weigh it prior to exiting CA, it was 13,891, my max coach capacity is 15K. Pin was 2098, I was just over on my pin but not tow capacity, which is 16.2K with my F250. Adding the Swivelwheel and Goldwing added about 1300lbs tow capacity but should have lessened my pin. What I meant by chucking/slipping is that what I got with my Pull Rite slider.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Big B,
I am confused, in your original post and in your signature, you are saying that you have an F350 DRW, then in post #6 & 7 you say you have an F250. If it is a typo, NP we all make them. Workshop shows you why the 2 to 4" of drop in the rear suspension, the main springs give you the ride until the overloads are engaged. I agree with the others, that you need to hit the scales to find out just where you are. Remember that you need 18 to 22% of the trailer weight on the pin to tow correctly.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

To clarify for Frank and anyone else, I just bought a 15 F350 DRW 4x4, put a Reese Elite 26.5 hitch mounted on Ford factory system.
I previously was towing with an 06 F250 SC SWB 2WD with a Pull Rite 25K sliding hitch. The reason it's so big is it and the pins lift in & out of the bed easily

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
To clarify what I was referring to when I mentioned spring bumpers....it's the upper bumpers mounted on the frame and not the axle.

We used to call them the overloads. Designed so you had a reasonably smooth ride when running empty and the extra spring came into play when the truck was loaded up.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
You're right about needing to reweigh my coach now that I've added the Swivelwheel & and Goldwing into the equation. I did weigh it prior to exiting CA, it was 13,891, my max is 15K. Pin was 2098, I was just over on my pin but not tow capacity, which is 16.2K with my F250. Adding the Swivelwheel and Goldwing added about 1300lbs tow capacity but should have lessened my pin. What I meant by chucking/slipping is that what I got with my Pull Rite slider.
You cannot mix GVWR, GAWR and towing capacity. Towing capacity is the amount of weight you can tow if it is 4 down.

If it is not 4 down the GCVW, GVWR and GAWR are the limiting factors.

Tags
suspension