RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

SUV Great deal!

First of all thanks for those that stop by and read my post. I have been doing my homework for the past two months. We finally decided to look into a TT and although the options can be overwhelming after a while well it turns out that a friend of mine is selling his trailer. Flagstaff 27BESS. 31FT. Dry weigh =5263lbs GVWR=6594lbs. Hitch weight =594lbs. With that said my vehicle is a 2003 chevy tahoe. Max towing=7400 Tongue weight =1000. Now I like my suv but I'm keeping my options open. For those experienced... Will this be possible to tow with what I have? It can be intimidating seeing my suv next to that trailer plus every time I see someone towing it's always using a truck. I've been asking around but just to keep it safe I want to get more opinions. Thanks again for helping out a newbie.

robledjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

Just a general comment that is more true than not. SUV's are built to carry people. Trucks are built to tow things. Especially in the last 7 years where no SUV comes with a trailer brake controller but a lot of half ton trucks now do.

You can try to set up the SUV to tow the trailer to see how you like it. It just might be ok. If not, then shop for a truck.

To me, trucks can carry 5 people in comfort plus they can tow stuff. No need for an SUV. Must be why trucks sell so many units. SUV'S with a sorter wheelbase, which is not good for towing, will fit in most garages while a full sized truck will not.

Just interested, what does your SUV drivers side door sticker say? Look for GVWR or just as good the Occupant / Cargo capacity.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

I agree with you... Even though I'm sure the tahoe might be able to pull it, I would feel better with a truck because like you say suv's are for carrying people and trucks are for the real duty. I would trade my suv for a truck but if I don't have to I won't for the mean time. I'm going to see if I can attach the picture I took of the inside sticker..
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvim4aampxsqx5v/Screenshot_20180818-193753.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you are able to see it
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #5

No, I can not see it.

But the main weight to stay under is the Occupant / Cargo capacity.

The yellow sticker.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #6

A 2003 Tahoe is pretty similar to a RCSB Silverado 1500 of that year. The wheelbase is 3" shorter though, and that is a problem with a 31ft trailer. In fact even with a half-ton truck you'd want something with a long wheelbase.

The important thing to realize is that when manufacturers state max tow ratings they do not necessarily think large travel trailers but flatbed and dump trailers.

Oh, and a 6600 lbs GVWR trailer is going to have ~ 800lbs tongue weight. That 600 lbs number is for an empty trailer.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #7

Well I've spent the past hour trying to figure out how to upload the pictures of the tahoe sticker on the side of the door and the Yellow sticker from the travel trailer. That was another thing that I kept thinking about... The length of the trailer might be to much for proper stopping when towing. I really want to jump on this deal but I guess I have to look into trading for a truck. Do you guys think I might be able to tow it with the tahoe to the storage facility and then later on swap cars? The yellow sticker on the TT states dry weight 5323lbs and weight of cargo should not exceed 1233lbs.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 AM   #8

Let's try this again... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180819-001626.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	215599Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180818-193753.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	215600
Old 08-19-2018, 04:04 AM   #9

You are going to be way too close to the Tahoe's max tow weight. It's 15 years old. 31 feet of TT is gonna catch a lot of wind. These factors are going to turn your camping trip into a white knuckled experience with you beating the steering wheel as log trucks pass you going uphill blowing their horns until the tranny finally gives way. That TT, while not overly huge, would be best suited by being towed with a newer model F150/1500 pickup with factory tow package. If you will stay at least 20% below your vehicle's max tow weight limit, you will find your trip will be much more relaxing and stress free.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

1,233 is not very much cargo/ocuupant capacity to haul the tongue weight of the trailer plus people plus stuff. A typical half ton truck will have 1,500 to 1,800 lbs cargo / occupant capacity.

Again, since you already have the Tahoe you can try it. Probably will be fine for local travel to the local state parks. But not on the highway as I believe that is not enough vehicle for that trailer. Just be ready to buy a full sized truck.

Just for kicks go look at the door stickers of trucks just to get an idea.

I had dually to tow a 37' 5th wheel. 4,700lb cargo capacity. Now I have a F-250 with 3,498lb capacity to tow a travel trailer.

If you look at trucks look at 2011 or newer. In 2011 trucks took a big leap forward in refinement. They ride like a big car. The newest trucks ride like a big luxury car. If you have never looked at trucks you will be pleasantly surprised how nice they are. Test drive a 2011 or newer F-150 with the Eco-Boost engine. You will smile when you step on the gas pedal.

In 2007 trucks were junk, they were big and heavy with weak engines.

By 2011 all that changed. Especially with Ford. Ram also as they improved the 5.7 hemi engine. The crew cab trucks can carry 5 people comfortably.

If you really want to upgrade look at the 2015 F-150 with the Aluminum body. Or the newest 2019 Ram and Chevy as they leap frogged Ford by a little bit. Ford will leap frog Ram and Chevy with their 2020 trucks.

Fyi - I just looked at all the trucks. 2018 F-150, 2018 Chevy and 2018 and 2019 Ram. IMHO the 2019 Ram 1500 was the best. Then 2018 Ford F-150 then Chevy 1500. I bought a new leftover 2017 F-250 as I want a 8,000lb trailer.

Chevy is just now starting to ship their 2019 redesigned trucks to dealers. Each redesign typically means a stiffer frame, smoother ride, more safety equipment, LED lighting, more capacity, longer wheel base. This all adds up to more refinement.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

I really appreciate everyone's help and opinions. I remember years ago towing a 17ft TT that I rented for a weekend and towing it with the tahoe and for someone not used to this things it was a white nuckle experience and I can't imagine with a 31ft trailer. I think about safety first since it's just my wife and my two son's, the youngest being 2yrs old. Although I didn't want to upgrade to another car since it's nice having no car payments but I guess it's part of the game if I want to get into owning one. I also think about how often will I use it and having the truck as a daily driver. Once again I thank you for your inputs. I will keep on monitoring this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledjl View Post
Let's try this again... Attachment 215599Attachment 215600
The yellow sticker is the one on the Tahoe, not the trailer. The sticker is labeled "Tire Loading Information" and will say something like the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed xxxx pounds.

Adding something, years ago I had 25' TT and towed it with a Dodge Ramcharger. That was an older type SUV before the term SUV was coined. The Ramcharger was on a truck frame and short wheel base. I didn't tow much but that combo was squirrelly. The truck also has a tight turning radius, tighter than the trailer, and once kissed the trailer with the aft "C" pillar in a U-turn.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
The yellow sticker is the one on the Tahoe, not the trailer. The sticker is labeled "Tire Loading Information" and will say something like the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed xxxx pounds.
The yellow sticker came from the trailer. The other one is from the tahoe... I'm wondering if an older chevy 2500HD would do it. Even though it's not a 2011 or newer...?
Old 08-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #14

All is not lost - Ford makes a F-150 with a powerful 2.7 litre V6 Eco-Boost engine. It is a full sized truck with the wheelbase and cargo capacity that would allow you to tow the trailer plus have a nice daily driver. Ford also has a 10 speed in most of their newer trucks. I bet the mpg will be better on either the 2.7 or the 3.5 eco-boost than your 2003 Tahoe.

For a newer truck there are no bad options. The 2018 Chevy 1500 has the best nice quiet smooth ride. In 2019 it is even better.

Trucks are the cash cow for Ford, Chevy and Ram. They put a lot of effort in building the best truck so they are all nice to ride in.

I think you will like driving a half ton truck as the daily driver.

Oh, after you hear how much they will give you for the Tahoe you might decide to just keep it.

Lol - you might like some of the modern features. I like push button start on my F-250 with key pad entry I never fumble for my keys. The key pad also allows me to lock and unlock the truck. And back up camera, great anytime you are in reverse. Great for hooking up a trailer.

Does your Tahoe still have a cassette player. If so, new trucks do not have tape decks.

All is not lost.