Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Sway bars and Wdh

Hi there. We've gotten a bigger trailer...18ft, weighs about 2855lbs. We have a 2006 F150 with factory tow, only 2wd and club cab now, so do we need the anti sway and weight distribution with this combination since the trailer is relatively light.
We towed a 13ft with our Venza without any SB or WDH without problems(on one hwy we were running 55mph with a strong crosswind...trailer was solid).
We will be loading the trailer with the same stuff, bbq, lawn chairs, outdoor carpet, but with the truck bed we can bring our genny,gas can, and inflatable kayak. We'll probably think of more things since we have more space . LOL

LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Don't buy the anti-sway until you've towed it a bit (properly loaded) and you know you need it. What's the gross max weight of the trailer and what's the tongue weight? You've got to pick the right bars for that, if you don't you'll make a bigger problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Gross weight is 3840lbs and hitch weight is 342lbs. We had considered using the Venza to do it, but I think the Venza is too low and the ride too soft for a bigger trailer...hence the F150. Plus we are planning longer travels this year.

Thanks for any info. I've learned alot from this site and still learning.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

That's a nice looking trailers you have there.

I tow a similar trailer and weight as yours. I am using a round bar weight distribution set up. And I towed a lot and never had any issues with sway. But decided to install a friction sway control as I was going on a long road trip. The sway control made a very nice difference and now when towing I don't even notice semi trucks behind me or when passing me. But try your set up without one first you may be fine.

Have fun.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

INHO F150 probably not needed. Venza would be a very different story.
Mostly will depend on your comfort level while traveling.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2013 Venza and a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost 4x2 SuperCrew with 7100 GVWR. My F-150 is overloaded with my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded on the road. I wouldn't even think of trying to tow any TT with the Venza. GVWR is only 4,380 and max payload capacity is only 895 pounds.

Quote:
We've gotten a bigger trailer...18ft, weighs about 2855lbs.
That's the dry shipping weight. Almost useless info. What is the GVWR of the trailer? Wild guess is the trailer will gross 4,000 pounds when wet and loaded on the road, and have 12.5% tongue weight or 500 pounds.

Quote:
We have a 2006 F150 with factory tow, only 2wd and club cab now, so do we need the anti sway and weight distribution with this combination since the trailer is relatively light.
All the experts say you need weight-distribution (WD) hitch for any tongue weight of 500 pounds or more. Your TT is probably right on the edge, so I wouldn't tow it without a good WD hitch with built-in sway control - such as the Reese Strait-Line dual-cam hitch:

Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66082

Note that hitch is good for hitch weights of 300 to 600 pounds, which is just perfect for your trailer which will probably have 400 to 500 pounds of wet and loaded tongue weight.

BTW, I have two of those Straight-line hitches, both with trunnion bars rated for 800 pounds max tongue weight - one for my TT that has 650 pounds loaded tongue weight and and another for my 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer that has 700 pounds loaded tongue weight. They work great on those two trailers. But I'm scared to death of trailer sway, so I recently bought a ProPride hitch for the TT. The ProPride would probably be overkill for your lighter TT, but if you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to guarantee it never happens again.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

Looking at the single axle placement of your TT it seems like you may have a sway issue. The axle is too close to center and since it's only a single axle you won't get the same control as a tandem axle. I would definitely be looking at some form of sway control.
You definitely don't need any WD with the low tongue weight. But for sway I would recommend these
Curt Friction Style Sway Control System Curt Weight Distribution 17200
Ball Mount Adjustable with Sway-Control Tab, 6,000 lbs Draw-Tite Ball Mounts 7390
Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #8

Love all the input

Thanks everybody, your input has been invaluable. We will be bring the new trailer home in May to load it up. We are looking at the--equalizer e2 trunnion bar style combined wdh and anti-sway, but will try bringing it home--totally dry without. It's snowing here today, hopefully not in May. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHouse View Post
We are looking at the--equalizer e2 trunnion bar style combined wdh and anti-sway, ...
That's a good hitch. Much better than the less expensive WD hitches that use friction-based sway bars.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Our first tt (hybrid) was 24' and about 4600 lbs. wet, just used a friction sway-control, newer setup is a 25' tt (hybrid) 5100 lbs. wet with a Reese square trunnion bar WD hitch. 100% improvement over just the friction sway - control. I went with the square trunnion bars and the forged shank. A buddy of mine had his "cast" shank, break in half. It was only about $25 more for the better forged shank.

Was pulling both tt's with a V-8 powered Toyota 4Runner the last 9 years. Just upgraded to a new Tundra...Have only towed the tt with the Tundra (with the WD hitch) about 2 miles so far. I did my best to adjust the WD hitch of the higher Tundra. The 4Runner did have a softer suspension.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote