Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #29

Well, if you can be that successful on buying/selling without a loss, then do it again next year til you find a combo that fits your needs.
All's well that ends well...........
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #30

Bummer... sounds like you sold the best truck on the planet.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #31

sorry so late

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
Thanks for the nice words.

In reference to the airbags, do they actually "increase" the payload, or is it merely a leveling and ride quality issue? Or is leveling the rear load synonymous with increasing payload? Did you install them yourself or did you have them installed? Also, how is air added? You said it was with a wireless controller, but what is actually pumping the air into the bladders? Can I ask what a set up like that cost?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan
Ryan, sorry I took so long in seeing your questions. You probably have your set-up by now, but here's what I know about the airbags. Towing heavy loads (firewood, etc) when I hit bumps or dips in the highway (Louisiana has terrible highways) The trailer bounce would seem to bottom out the rear suspension on my 08 Tundra. The airbags stopped that. They make the rear suspension tighter so that there's less chance of bottoming out on bumps. They DO NOT add to the payload. They only keep the rear springs and shocks from over-working by making it stiffer. The ride is rougher with no load on the bags so I just bleed them down to 5 lbs of pressure and you can't tell they are there. I add up to 45 - 55lbs when towing. All wirelessly from cab. The wireless kit comes with a small compressor that I mounted under the bed in the frame channel near the left rear axel. As you increase pressure with the wireless remote, you will here it pumping. When you decrease pressure, you'll hear it bleed. And it maintains the pressure you set automatically. Really a great thing. The bags come with air valves that you can mount on the bumper to manually add air with any compressor or a t a gas station. So, you don't have to get the wireless system. The cost for the Airlift 5000 bags and Wireless remote were around $575. One was just over $300 and the other just under $300. Don't remember which. I shopped long and hard while waiting for my special order 5th wheel to come in and found best price from JEGS.COM. Firestone also makes airbags and I've heard good things about them too.
Installation - My brother, who was a mechanic for 20 years installed them with my labor help. (I gave him water) He had floor jacks/stands, air tools and everything we needed. Took him and me about 4-5 hours. Could do a second set in about 2 hours since we've read the instructions now and know what to do. It was not easy but everything is in the instructions and all parts were in the pack. I could have done it alone with no air tools over a weekend.
I'm thinking if you got a bumper pull trailer, you probably don't need airbags because the weight distribution hitch will take the weight off the rear bumper. I had that set-up with 02 Tundra and a smaller trailer. (5500lbs) Once level, it rides great. You'll know when the chains are right on the hitch because it'll drive just like no trailer at all. If too much chain, you'll feel the steering too hard, if too little chain, you'll feel the front end light and fishy.
I like the bumper pull better now that I have a 5th wheel. And, my next RV will probably be bumper pull again.
Here's the site where I got mine. airlift+5000 - JEGS High Performance
Good luck to you and God bless.

PS Don't let anyone tell you that the 5.7 can't handle a 9000 trailer. Just hook-up right and go.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #32

oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
My adventure came to a close as quickly as it begun.

My family and I lived in the trailer for the summer...and what a learning experience it was. We had a great time, but it was also very challenging. Two adults, two kids, and two dogs were just a little much for a 30' TT to handle on a full time basis. Additional, we liked that Keystone, but the build quality in these things (and I think that goes for any brand) is questionable. I just don't feel that these are up to the task of full time living (at least to my standards). You also learn quickly what you like and don't like in a camper. We didn't like the master bedroom. There is absolutely no room what so ever to move around the bed. They should have put another slide out in the master bedroom to make more room to move around the bed.

We decided that we enjoyed camping, but if we planned on doing it for long periods of time we definitely needed something bigger. We spent a month looking at diesel pusher Class A's and luxury 5th wheels. The problem with the 5th wheels was that I would have to buy another truck, obviously, and they were $60-$70K. The problem with a nice Class A was that it was $100,000+!

With the current the economy we just didn't feel comfortable taking on that kind of debt. Plus, the experience turned out to be much more expensive over all than I thought it would be. So, all in all this just wasn't the right time for the camping thing. But again, we had a blast while it lasted.

I sold the camper for what I paid for it, and the same for the Tundra. I pulled the camper back from MI with the Tundra, and again it performed flawlessly. I wish I could have justified keep the Tundra, but I just couldn't.

Thanks again to everyone for all their help.

Well, I see now that I already replied to an older question, that you don't have the camping fever anymore. They are definately not for living if you like room. But if you camped in the past with tents and in truck beds, as I did hunting as a kid with family, you can really appreciate the RV conveniences like bath, air, heat, bed etc. Sorry it didn't work out. For future ref, since you mentioned the economy and all, my wife and I have changed our travel habits due to gas costs and other increases. We don't hit the road anymore and just stop a long the way. We now pick a spot or two and stay at each for several days. And once we set up camp, the wife does most of the driving. Gives me a break. Works well that way. We don't have kids with us anymore but we do make sure that we pick a place where there are things to do for several days. Hiking, sightseeing, wildlife, old train rides, historical places, shopping, festivals, bikes, putt putt, theme parks, etc. You'd need to do the same to keep kids occupied for several days. A pool goes a long way.
Maybe later....
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #33

"""PS Don't let anyone tell you that the 5.7 can't handle a 9000 trailer. Just hook-up right and go.[/QUOTE]"""

sheeesh.. and here I am double and triple checking my weights on my 8k-5er being behind my powerstroke!

a truck that would pull the guts out of 2 tundras

carry on..
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While I also have my doubts on how well this combo will work. However you have stated that you are only going to tow about 250 mi and then park the TT for 6-7 mo and then tow it back. You are not planning on towing it every weekend or for longer trips so for this application you will probably be OK. WD hitches work by applying a torque moment around the hitch that counters the action of the tounge on the hitch ball and the front and rear axles. It also provides some vertical motion control. Anti sway devices connect between the tounge and the hitch and provide additional friction to limit the sideways motion of the hitch ball. I know of three hitches that combine both of them into one - Hensley, Pro Pride, and Equalizer. Of the three the Equalizer is the least expensive. It provides WD using spring bars - however the bars are supported in such a way on the tounge as to provide sideways friction. IMHO they are the best for the $$. You are probably OK on the brake controller - the prodigy I had worked great - that said my new truck with a built in controller beats it hands down. I posted this prior to reading page 2 and 3 - sorry to hear that your long term camping experience was not what you expected. We used to vacation for a week or two at a time with a family of 4 and two dogs in a 20' TT. Now its just the wife and I (and two dogs) in a 24' TT. We usually camp within a 100 mi radius of home and go just for a weekend or ext weekend depending on work schedules. However both the economy and my current lack of solid employment have limited our camping the last two years.