Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Sway control hitch vs turning/reversing

I've been doing a bit of reading on the WD hitches and sway control systems and can't really wrap my head around how sway control can't interfere with turning and reversing. I can see how normal driving would be fine, but once you arrive at the camp and need to make some tighter turns to get situated, wouldn't the sway control be a hinderance?
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:27 AM   #2

The sway control on some hitches have to be disconnected or disengaged to back up. On other hitches such as ProPride and Hensley, the sway control is an function of the hitch and does not have to be nor can it be disengaged. It has no hindrance on backing up or sharp turns.
PastorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:07 AM   #3

I am not sure anyone can say 'No' hindrance. There has to be at least some hindrance as there is friction....correct?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #4

The sway control hitch, I had, was a cam lock system.

The sway control was only locked in, while going straight, as in highway travel.

In cornering and backing, which are at slow speeds, the cams would be quickly forced to unlock and revert to standard weight distributing functions.

The friction type are tightened enough to limit sway but not lock the tow and trailer into one straight piece.

You may need to release the friction if backing on really soft ground but in most situations, the friction bar will slide.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am not sure anyone can say 'No' hindrance. There has to be at least some hindrance as there is friction....correct?

No there is not. Neither the Hensley or ProPride have any friction devices.

Check it out. https://www.propridehitch.com
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrien View Post
I've been doing a bit of reading on the WD hitches and sway control systems and can't really wrap my head around how sway control can't interfere with turning and reversing. I can see how normal driving would be fine, but once you arrive at the camp and need to make some tighter turns to get situated, wouldn't the sway control be a hinderance?
There are at least 4 classes of WD hitches. 1] Cheap. 2] Normal. 3] Good. 4] Great but expensive.

1]. Don't buy a cheap hitch. If it uses sway bars for sway control, or has no built-in sway control, it's a cheap hitch. Some are available online for less than $300. Those are the hitches you have heard about that must be disconnected before backing the trailer. Most cheap WD hitches can do a decent job of weight distribution, but have inadequate sway control.

2]. Most WD hitches fall into the "normal" price class - around $300 to $500. Most of the decent WD hitches from Reese, Husky, and Curt WD hitches. No problem backing up or turning tight, but not as effective at sway control as the better hitches. Not good enough for me. If you have ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again.

3]. The good WD hitches with good built-in sway control cost more than normal WD hitches. Reese makes one called the StraitLine. Husky makes one called the Centerline HD 31390. The "industry standard" for good WD hitches with good built-in sway control include the Blue Ox Swaypro and the Equal-I-Zer. Those sell for around $500 to $700 from discount hitch sources, and list for about $700 to $1,000 complete. By "complete", I mean including the adjustable shank and the spring bars. The StraitLine is available without a shank, but you have to have a shank, so pay attention to details. The Husky Centerline HD 31390 is the head and shank only, without the spring bars. But you have to have the spring bars, so order the correct spring bars for the max tongue weight (TW) of your wet and loaded trailer when you order the head.

4]. At the top of the line in sway control effectiveness are the very expensive hitches designed by Jim Hensley. The original Hensley Arrow has been available for several years, and has been superceded by the ProPride, but is still available. The redesigned and updated Hensley ProPride has now been available for a few years. By very expensive, I mean almost $3,000, or 4 or 5 times the discounted cost of a Strait-Line or other good WD hitch.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

I tow my TT with a ProPride. I tow my cargo trailer with a StraitLine. I'm not sure the ProPride is worth 4 times the cost of my StraitLine, but I have no worry about uncontrollable trailer sway when towing my TT across the country. I estimate the StraitLine will handle about 99% of all sway-causing conditions. The ProPride increased that to around 99.99%. That's about as close to perfect as you can expect.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
There are at least 4 classes of WD hitches. 1] Cheap. 2] Normal. 3] Good. 4] Great but expensive.

1]. Don't buy a cheap hitch. If it uses sway bars for sway control, or has no built-in sway control, it's a cheap hitch. Some are available online for less than $300. Those are the hitches you have heard about that must be disconnected before backing the trailer. Most cheap WD hitches can do a decent job of weight distribution, but have inadequate sway control.

2]. Most WD hitches fall into the "normal" price class - around $300 to $500. Most of the decent WD hitches from Reese, Husky, and Curt WD hitches. No problem backing up or turning tight, but not as effective at sway control as the better hitches. Not good enough for me. If you have ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again.

3]. The good WD hitches with good built-in sway control cost more than normal WD hitches. Reese makes one called the StraitLine. Husky makes one called the Centerline HD 31390. The "industry standard" for good WD hitches with good built-in sway control include the Blue Ox Swaypro and the Equal-I-Zer. Those sell for around $500 to $700 from discount hitch sources, and list for about $700 to $1,000 complete. By "complete", I mean including the adjustable shank and the spring bars. The StraitLine is available without a shank, but you have to have a shank, so pay attention to details. The Husky Centerline HD 31390 is the head and shank only, without the spring bars. But you have to have the spring bars, so order the correct spring bars for the max tongue weight (TW) of your wet and loaded trailer when you order the head.

4]. At the top of the line in sway control effectiveness are the very expensive hitches designed by Jim Hensley. The original Hensley Arrow has been available for several years, and has been superceded by the ProPride, but is still available. The redesigned and updated Hensley ProPride has now been available for a few years. By very expensive, I mean almost $3,000, or 4 or 5 times the discounted cost of a Strait-Line or other good WD hitch.

https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

I tow my TT with a ProPride. I tow my cargo trailer with a StraitLine. I'm not sure the ProPride is worth 4 times the cost of my StraitLine, but I have no worry about uncontrollable trailer sway when towing my TT across the country. I estimate the StraitLine will handle about 99% of all sway-causing conditions. The ProPride increased that to around 99.99%. That's about as close to perfect as you can expect.

I concur. Please note that it is wise to do your own research. I am sure Smokey did his before plunking down 3 grand.... actually more by the time you add the extension chain and cord kit and a set of covers for the hitch to protect the $3K plus investment you just made. Also note that the PP 3P is the only WD/Sway control I have ever used. Expensive? Yes. Payoff is I have total peace of mind.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

I used an Equalizer with 4 pt friction sway control for 2.5 years and about 10,000 miles. Never once did it hinder turning or backing up.
I also used a Hensley Arrow for one season. It too never hindered any part of towing.
On our 1st TT I used a friction plate that attaches to the two small balls, one on the WDH and the other on the TT tongue. It was supposed to be unhooked when backing up. I only did so when backing up and needing to turn real sharp.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We’ve used the Equal-I-zer with our TT for 3 years and over 10,000 miles. Never have had a problem with it while backing up. IMHO it’s the way to go, but as you see, others have their favorites too.
Do your research, read customer reviews and make your decision on what feels right for your application.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Our Blue Ox works great. No hindrance backing. the bars swivel in the hitch head.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote