Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Synthetic oil and tranny fluid are they worth the money?

Re synthetics worth the extra cash?
Max Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

IMHO, Transmission yes. Gas engine, yes. Diesel engine, maybe, depending on the quantity required.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
For sure in the transmission. Not for my diesel...it takes 28 quarts, requires annual changing, and the synthetic does not reduce change intervals. If the 18 wheelers use dino, it should be okay for us.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Why does the syn. not reduce OCIs? Have you done UOAs?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the transmission...yes. But I do not run enough miles to justify synthetic oil in the engine...not for twice a year oil changes at 14 quarts.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Why does the syn. not reduce OCIs? Have you done UOAs?
Yes, I've done lots of used oil analysis (UOAs) on my PowerStroke diesel. Oilchange interval (OCI) did not change when I tried synthetic three different times. Blackstone told me my OCI was about 5,500 miles. One time I tried Amsoil and did the Amsoil trick to extend the OCI. Changed just the filter and topped off with Amsoil synthetic at 3,500 miles, then changed the oil at 7,000 miles. Blackstone chewed me out good. They said the OCI did not change just because you paid too much for your oil, and that 7,000 miles was way too long for my engine.

I also tried Mobil Delvac 1 and Havoline URSA synthetics. No change in my UOAs.

Synthetic oil is not cost effective for diesel engines. The big boys get about a million miles out of their engines using dino motor oil, and they don't get any more miles before the first overhaul if they pay the big bucks for synthetic. So very few of the real truckers use synthetic oil. The big trucking companies with MBAs running things do not allow their drivers to pay extra for synthetic oil, because it's not cost effective.

For gas engines, use what the manufacturer requires. My 2012 Ford EcoBoost engine requires synthetic blend, and Ford says it's okay to run full synthetic. My first oil change was at 10,000 miles, and I went with Motorcraft synthetic blend.

Synthetic ATF is a different story. Synthetic ATF can work with a lot more heat before severe deterioration than dino oil. So if you frequenty overheat your tranny, or run it up against the red line when towing, then you want synthetic ATF. For towing, you need a tranny temp gauge that gives you sump temp. 225° is the red line, so if you ever get close to 225° you need synthetic ATF. (I never saw over 205° on my diesel, but I ran Mobil 1 ATF just in case.) On the 2012 EcoBoost Lariat, there is a built-in tranny temp gauge, and so far (about 5,000 towing miles) I haven't seen over 210°. So I'm good with whatever Ford put in there.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

You gotta remember, 7.3s and 6.0s are HEUI motors, so that's what shears the oil so much and gives you very quick OCIs. So I bet if you ran synthetics on a 6.4 or 6.7, they'd be longer.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Smokey,
I ran the Amsoil in my '04 6.0 for well over 100k miles--at 15k change intervals. Blackstone not once said anything was abnormal, nor did they not like the long OCI.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

I had a 2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 automatic with the 4.0 V6.
First, the warranty required using full synthetic in the rear dif for towing. We had a 2004 FW Utah popup so I put Royal Purple in the rear.
Second, I wanted to find out for myself if synthetics worked or if there was any difference from "normal" lubes. I put RP tranny fluid in the tranny and transfer case, put RP "oil" in the engine and also put RP Ice in the cooling system.
Engine starts were quicker and quieter. Drive train felt smoother. Shifting improved and mileage improved.
The cost was worth it to me in that truck.
My current truck now has Amsoil Severe Gear lube and Amsoil friction modifier in the rear end. I will change over to full synth lubes in the drive train this year.
I don't know what brand I will use when I do it.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Smokey,
I ran the Amsoil in my '04 6.0 for well over 100k miles--at 15k change intervals. Blackstone not once said anything was abnormal, nor did they not like the long OCI.
Joe
Yes, your 6.0L had a longer OCI than my 7.3L. Ford said my OCI was 3,000 miles for my severe duty (constant towing heavy), but Blackstone stretched that out to 5,500 miles. My 2012 F-150 has a factory-recommended OCI of 10,000 miles.

I was on the road when my 2012 flashed the "change the oil" light the first time at a little over 10,000 miles, so I didn't get a used oil sample. Wish I did. I'd like to know the status of the Ford factory 5w30 synthetic blend break-in oil after 10,300 miles, including about 5,000 miles of towing a TT that weighed almost 5,000 pounds wet and loaded. One good sign of that EcoBoost engine is it used less than a quart of oil in that first 10,000 miles. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic now, so we'll see how it does for the next 10,000 mile OCI.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
First, the warranty required using full synthetic in the rear dif for towing.
Yes. Gear lube and ATF are not the same as motor oil. Full synthetic gear lube is required by Ford in all SuperDuty SRW rear ends, and I ran Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my '99.5 F-250 with 7.3L diesel engine to protect the tranny from high towing temps. But there was no reason to use anything better than Shell Rotella T or Chevron DELO 400 dino motor oil in that diesel. Anything more expensive that Rotella T was just wasted money.

However, my 2012 F-150 with the twin-turbo EcoBoost engine requires at least synthetic blend motor oil. I don't think Mobil 1 makes a blend, so I just use plain ole Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil in that engine.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Newer (post January 1, 2010) diesels utilize more EGR and have regeneration cycles for the filters, adsorbers and traps in the exhaust system. Typically, oil change intervals for these severely emission controlled engines are a function of soot contamination and/or fuel dilution of the oil, not of the condition of the lube oil itself. In that case, it's hard to justify the extra $$$ for synthetic engine oil - that's why I use 'em in my gassers but not in my diesel.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Newer (post January 1, 2010) diesels utilize more EGR and have regeneration cycles for the filters, adsorbers and traps in the exhaust system. Typically, oil change intervals for these severely emission controlled engines are a function of soot contamination and/or fuel dilution of the oil, not of the condition of the lube oil itself. In that case, it's hard to justify the extra $$$ for synthetic engine oil - that's why I use 'em in my gassers but not in my diesel.

Rusty
That's why you delete and tune
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That's why you delete and tune
Deleting or messing with emissions control components is agin the law. Aftermarket tunes that don't comply with EPA restrictions are also agin the law, and will probably void the warranty on your very expensive diesel engine. So only wild gamblers go there.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).