Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Hi:
I have a 2004 Ford 250,Super Duty,I have have maintenance performed regularly with oil
changed every 3K's.Now in the RV park that I'm staying,I heard that synthetic oil is the way to go.Last longer and protection is better for the engine parts.Kindly advice your experience
on this subject and pro and con on the matter.
Your replies are much appreciated.araucano

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #2

Hi:
I have a 2004 Ford 250,Super Duty,I have have maintenance performed regularly with oil
changed every 3K's.Now in the RV park that I'm staying,I heard that synthetic oil is the way to go.Last longer and protection is better for the engine parts.Kindly advice your experience
on this subject and pro and con on the matter.
Your replies are much appreciated.araucano

Old 03-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #3

araucano

You are going to hear both sides before this is over. My side is change often 3-4K miles and use regular oil. regular oil is cheaper and there is always fresh oil in there doing the job. I guess I am still old school.

Tom
Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
here's my opinion. If you are changing oil every 3-4K miles then stay with fossil oil. If you are going to go with extended change interval and oil testing, then synthetic is the way to go.

JMOHO

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you will here both sides and both of the last post are correct if you follow there rule. The first thing is why are you changeing every 3-4k? Most manuals say every 7.5 to 15k in diesels. Youare wasteing money and oil by changing that often. First you need decrease your oil usage by following the manual and not what "The Man" says. He justs wnat your money and have you waste valuable time at his garage so he can find other things to sell you and make even more money.
If you decide make the plunge and go synthetic it will cost you, hwever it has very good benifits. Better protection for the engine, longer drain intervals and if you go all the way and install a By-Pass system you can virtually never change the oil, which will save you money in the long run.
If you do change to synthetic then make sure you use an oil filter that is designed for synthetic oil and NOT the evry day run of the mill FRAM or K-Mart oil filter.
I would say that synthetic oil does save money in the long run, I did not change oil for 2 years and 30k miles. I only changed it because I wanted to. I sent in samples to be checked every 6 months or 7.5k miles, then changed only the main oil filter and added the makeup quart of oil to fill the new filter. That's less than 2gallons of oil in 2 years and 5 oil filters in 2 years.
So take it all in you decide what's best for you. Oh, yeah did I forget to say that my truck runs quieter and about 200rpms lower at highway speeds, thus which relates to better fuel mileage because the engine does not have to work as hard.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #6

Oh, yeah did I forget to say that my truck runs quieter and about 200rpms lower at highway speeds, thus which relates to better fuel mileage because the engine does not have to work as hard. [/QUOTE]
Pardon a dumb question, but how does the engine turn less rpm when the AT is in lockup and the gearing, tires, are the same as before?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #7

To. ALL; RE; Synthetic Lubricants,

I;ve used synthetics almost since they became available.

Synthetics run cooler, less overheating, don't gum up, lubricate better because it does't break-down, and because of above stays cleaner.

When you figure that you are protecting an engine that is one of the most important parts of your RV, which can cost from $20K to $500K or more the added cost of synthetics is nominal.

Pro/racing crews even soak the normally lubricated parts of engines when they tear them down, even for just inspections.

The ALMIGHTY made all things, but HE gave us the knowledge to make some things better.

I use synthetics in every 4 cycle engine I own.

Even carry it, should I be in a place where it is not available.

Another important thing, I always change at manufacturers recommended intervals, I figure, they made the engine and want oil changed to eliminate problems during warrantee, it works!!

What changes when warranty expires, Just you pay out of you pocket. If it works for them, continue. Alot of engines are coming from factory with synthetic in them.

Alittle extra cost could prevent you from sitting somewhere waiting for engine over-haul.

Thanks== Aime=== AJBJRVERS
Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Except for our truck (see signature), I run synthetics in all of our vehicles. The usage profile on our truck, however, makes dino engine oil a better choice for us (I do use synthetic rear axle lubricant).

Our truck only accumulates about 6000 miles per year - we took delivery on August 15, 2001 and the truck now has 28K miles. Because it spends a lot of time sitting in the garage, and because condensation is a consideration due to the high humidity here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I prefer to change oil and filter every 6 months which works out to about 3000 miles. Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 and Fleetguard Stratapore filters are a proven combination for the 5.9L Cummins - quite a few have gone 1 million miles using Delo (or Shell Rotella), and I'll not live long enough to ever see that at the current usage rate of our truck.

Different horses for different courses.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #9

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetics for all fluids. Overall, I think it offers better protection than the "dino" oils.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #10

Synthetic or not, you can go more than 3000 miles between changes. I don't know what Ford's recommendations are, but Dodge recommends 7500 miles for the normal service schedule. I change mine every 5000 miles, which is about 6 months.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ken,

To clarify, I'm changing the oil based on time due to our unique climatic conditions here on the Gulf Coast. Corrosion due to condensation can be a real problem, and an overfueled truck like mine must also deal with weak acid formation due to the presence of sulfur in fuel as well as soot suspension. 6 months just happens to work out to around 3000 miles - I'm not willing to leave the oil sitting in the truck for a year with as little usage as our truck sees.

That, and the excellent track record of Delo 15W-40, is why I don't use synthetic engine oil in the truck - it doesn't pass the economics test for the frequency of my oil changes. By the way, on the 2nd generation trucks like mine, the severe usage schedule for the Cummins had oil changes (IIRC) down around 3750 miles.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #12

I'm in the same boat as Rusty, in that I don't put that many miles on the pickup.

Whether it is synthecic or dino, condensation and other contamination will build up with time... so synthetic just doesn't seem to make sense for the way I use the truck.

If I lived in a really cold climate I might run synthetic in the winter, as one of the major advantages to synthetic oil is better pumpability in subzero temps.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #13

I use sin in the gen.not the truck trade it in so why buy the extra for others.I did hear if on sin do not go to dino or You Will Be Sorry?? why I do not know..Bushman John
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stylin':
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetics for all fluids. Overall, I think it offers better protection than the "dino" oils. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you aware Mobil 1 is not approved for diesel engines?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote