Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Test Drove a 2017 F350 dually today and...

...boy it was a stiff ride. I don't have any other pickup truck driving experience to which I can compare it, but I can't see being real happy with the ride when not towing. We drove around town and were surprised how rough the ride seemed. Having read in other threads that people drive duallies as daily drivers and are happy with them in that capacity I was surprised. Maybe the tires were over inflated.

The other thing that stood out as a negative was shifting the automatic transmission. It was very difficult, pretty much impossible, to avoid shifting past the gear I wanted to go to and it took several tries to find it.

Otherwise, the truck seemed fine to me during the 20-30 minutes I drove it--a lot peppier than my Subaru!

Have others had difficulty shifting their F350s or have any thoughts about ride stiffness?
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 02:19 AM   #2

Mine's a 2013 and it took a while to get used to how to shift it. I leave it in automatic and use the little lever on the shifter to change gears. I had a hard time in moving the shift lever from auto to manual and get it where I wanted it. With it in two/haul mode and using the button to change gears, works great. I also leave the it so the gear shows on the side of the display.

As far as ride I have been using a dually for a daily driver since 2001. I don't like having to change air pressure so I leave it at 80 PSI. The 2013 has a bit of hop on certain stretches of pavement. I have replaced tires and next will change shocks, not too concerned with it though.

Of course I have been using pick up as a daily driver since 1974, so this one rides great compared to a lifted 1/2 ton with custom suspension. Also my other "truck" is a 2014 Freightliner class 8 rig.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

As with any "new" vehicle it takes time for you to adjust to it. And yes, there are trade offs with a dually. Your days of using the drive through windows are over as well as automated car washes.

As Blue mentioned, the toggle switch on the side of the shifter will take care of your shifting needs. Some guys add sand bags over the axles when running empty to soften the ride. I have another vehicle I could drive when not towing, but I enjoy driving the truck.

A 20 minute test drive is not enough time to acclimate to any new vehicle. It takes several days/weeks of driving to become comfortable with your new vehicle and to learn what you can and cannot do.
paulstravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #4

[QUOTE=RussOnTheRoad;3551632]...boy it was a stiff ride. I don't have any other pickup truck driving experience to which I can compare it, but I can't see being real happy with the ride when not towing.
Otherwise, the truck seemed fine to me during the 20-30 minutes I drove it--a lot peppier than my Subaru! QUOTE]

A one ton dually is a one ton dually. They ride stiff no arguement, but that's part of the package if you want that weight rating. I haven't done a comparison between the big 3, but they all ride stiffer than lower weight class trucks. You get used to anything given time.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

I bought on 07' F150 in 2009.... upgrade from Explorer - ride was an adjustment for sure! Didn't mind it tho as I was starting a business and needed truck.

Bought a Suburban as my family grew and LOVED the ride when I wasn't mowing/towing equipment with F150. Bought a camper thinking Burb could pull it ..... NOPE

Purchased a 15' F250 and LOVE IT but the ride is rough. If it was then I'm sure it couldn't tow 12,500lbs safely! Owned it for 2 months and have adjusted (wife drives Suburban so I can still tow boat and enjoy that)

I've towed my 37' 7000lb TT twice and in between tows I researched the manual shift on shift lever...... tow haul mode does what I need and I slow it down manually when needed......

A truck is designed to tow, not do track times!?! I can't wait til I get my f450/5th wheel!!!!! Love the new bodies (just hope they don't sit too high)
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

Guess I'm missing something... Why do you want to shift an auto trans when not towing? Is this a ford thing? My Allison does just fine around town,,, or towing. And as said,, a "truck" will ride rougher when not loaded. You can get a better ride by decreasing air pressure in the tires when not towing.Everytime it goes in for service, the dealer guys will air tires up to recommeded pressures. (I understand that) My 2500 is only used for our 5th wheel a few times a year, so for everyday stuff I decrease the pressure and it makes a difference.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Russ, As others have mentioned... You'll adapt. It's just part of having a tow vehicle capable of handling the weights you will encounter towing. Something you may consider, though the truck will still have a harsher ride than you are accustomed too, is purchase a "pancake" air compressor and reduce your tire air pressure when not towing. Use your little compressor to "air up" for your next tow. You may find this will help "a little" with your comfort. memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

I use the auto shift method for downhill mainly as I have the 6.2 gasser....
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

Now you see why so many get 1/2 tons to tow 8-9,000 lb trailers. They can't get used to the rough ride.
Next time you go for a test drive scroll through the dash menu and find the tire settings. The TPMS will show the current tires psi. If they're maxed out then ask to have the deflated to what the door sticker says is needed for an empty load.
Coming from a Subaru will be a shock. I've had trucks my whole life. Currently have a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. It's a little stiff but I'm used to it. We also have a 2015 Camry. It's like floating on air compared to the Ram. But I still would rather take my Ram on a longer road trip, even getting 15+ mpg less.
If you want a nicer ride check out the GM twins. From what I've read they're supposed to ride pretty good. And the Duramax Allison combo is tough to beat.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Now you see why so many get 1/2 tons to tow 8-9,000 lb trailers. They can't get used to the rough ride.
Next time you go for a test drive scroll through the dash menu and find the tire settings. The TPMS will show the current tires psi. If they're maxed out then ask to have the deflated to what the door sticker says is needed for an empty load.
Coming from a Subaru will be a shock. I've had trucks my whole life. Currently have a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. It's a little stiff but I'm used to it. We also have a 2015 Camry. It's like floating on air compared to the Ram. But I still would rather take my Ram on a longer road trip, even getting 15+ mpg less.
If you want a nicer ride check out the GM twins. From what I've read they're supposed to ride pretty good. And the Duramax Allison combo is tough to beat.
I will again agree with you,, new vehicles will have tires aired up to max pressures. I looked at a new Dodge 2500, being a forever Mopar guy, but they didn't want to deal at all... (that dealer) I've got to say I Love my Silverado, I wanted the diesel, its (as you know with a Cummins) is a true pleasure to drive,,, uphill OR downhill... My 2500 will bounce like a ball more or less unloaded, but airing down the tires makes a Big difference!
Different strokes....
Monkey...
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Guess I'm missing something... Why do you want to shift an auto trans when not towing? Is this a ford thing? My Allison does just fine around town,,, or towing. And as said,, a "truck" will ride rougher when not loaded. You can get a better ride by decreasing air pressure in the tires when not towing.Everytime it goes in for service, the dealer guys will air tires up to recommeded pressures. (I understand that) My 2500 is only used for our 5th wheel a few times a year, so for everyday stuff I decrease the pressure and it makes a difference.
Monkey
To clarify, the shifting to which I referred in my original post was simply going from drive to reverse to park, the usual shifts people do pretty much every time they drive. Operating the shifter on the F350 I drove was an exercise in frustration. The sales rep I spoke with didn't think the tranny would shift more easily after break-in.

Regarding your comment as to what service departments do in terms of checking air pressure and bringing it to specs when you take a truck (or other vehicle) in for service, I have found that to be all over the map with many dealers having developed their own standards and norms, often wrong, to service departments lying about having checked and inflating tires. (I actually caught one tech outright lying about having checked and adjusted my pressure when I checked for myself while picking up my Class C from an oil change--at a Ford dealership no less. He admitted he didn't do it and falsified the numbers on the service report! That kind of irresponsible behavior could cost lives!) IMHO it's a mistake to rely on any service tech/center/dealership to properly check and inflate/deflate tires and my experience would tend to substantiate this.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Excellent advice and tips as always Thanks.

Who knew you could check tire pressure on the dash? I'm driving a 17 year-old Subaru. They didn't even install tire pressure sensors back then... not sure they were invented!

Perhaps I should also add that I have no idea to what pressures the tires of the F350 I test drove were inflated. I think I need to drive one again making sure the pressures are in line with specs for an unladen vehicle.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Ah,, ok,, now I understand about the shifting thing... Thanks. And being an ex aircraft mech and hotrod guy, NO I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles, but I do it...(I'm old) I always look it over very close before I leave...
Old 04-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #14

IF you go this route,,, the truck 'may' tell you tire pressures are low... Depending on the truck and options you can see all pressures... I can on mine.
Monkey

Tags
drw, dually, f350, ride, shifting