Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #29

Do you select the time for the driving test or do they. This could be a real issue for me. Texas

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Do you select the time for the driving test or do they. This could be a real issue for me. Texas
You select it and much easier to do it online. Not all DPS offices do it either but the ones that do will have it listed when you go online to schedule it. Just select "commercial test".

Couple of issues though, online isn't 100% accurate but only in the fact that there might be an opening that it might not show. Second, if you call the listed numbers for the offices it just takes you to the main office in Austin. So, after you wait 30 minutes on hold you are not even talking to the local office. My suggestion is to schedule the driving portion online, very easy to do and gives you all the available times. Otherwiase, you have to go to the local office to schedule which can be done after the written test is done. The written portion requires no appointment, you can just walk in and do it but do have to wait in line until it's your turn to talk to someone. You'll have to do the eye exam again so take glasses if needed. I had just passed the eye exam with no issues a few weeks earlier when I renewed my license. I went in for the Class A written test and had to do it again and couldn't read one entire line on the left side. I told the lady I thought something was wrong with the machine but she didn't care.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
In CA you setup an appointment. The wait time is typ 30 days. I was given a choice of 730AM or 130PM on the first available day. I chose 130PM. On later days you chould chose anytime.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Just passed the CA Class A Non-Commercial test a couple days ago. It is NOT a piece of cake. First is the Pre-Test inspection. You must approach the inspection as if you are going to take a trip in a vehicle that you have never seen before. Check EVERYTHING and vocalize it to the Examiner. i.e. Show the 3 emergency triangles, check all hitch connections, verify the mud flaps, verify the lug nuts. Pop the hub caps an all wheels. Show the seat belts, verify the windshield. Pop the hood and check the engine oil, belts, hoses, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid. Open the passenger door, verify the seat belt, window, and one I don't understand, the glove box? Then on to the trailer. Check all storage doors, fire extingesher lug nuts, condition of rims, tires, lights, signals, brake pads (where visible), and it goes on. If you pass the above - -

Then the driving test. It's broken into two sections. The Skill test then the driving test.
Skill test. No more than 10 errors total!
Straight Line backing. Up to 5 pullups, up to 5 encroachments (hitting cones), and must stop within 2' of a backup line.
Right turn. Must make a 90 degree right turn within 2' of the cone without touching.
Alley Dock. Back into a 90 degree parking space. Allowed 5 each of pullups and encroachments. Must stop within 2' of dock line and honk your horn when you think you are finished. The biggest problem was not being allowed to physically check the parking space first to get a handle of the size, width, cone placement, etc. You cannot get out of your truck!
Note: The max of 10 dings still apply for all of the above.

Then you have the driving test. This is the easiest one. You are allowed 45 dings. I only had 6. They check for Intersections, checking traffic, yields, gear use, speed. How you stop and start.
They check turns, traffic check, signal, braking, lane position.
the driving test was very common sense. The major sections tested are:
Intersections, Through, Stop, Start.
Turns, Approach, Stops, Turning, and completed turn
Freeways, Enter/Merge, Lane Changes, Exit.
Start/Stopon Grade, going up and going down
And a few more sections.

The DMV test site had 3 driving school trucks for students trying to get their CDL. NOBODY PASSED!! The only guy that passed was a Fire Truck driver getting his license for the Fire Truck. He was inside when I went in to Check in. As he was issued his license my comment was 'I wish I had that!!'

So that's it. The Alley Dock was my biggest problem. I missed 4 pullups there, allowed 5.
The Behind the wheel testing took about an hour.
Congratulations! It's a relief to pass and to have the correct license. Did you have a driver with a Class A accompany you for your test? Sounds like the Truck School Drivers were having the same luck at your test site as mine did.
Rich
Old 04-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
And Californians drive so much better than the rest of us, YEAH RIGHT.
Frank
I've spent time in many other states. Theres crappy drivers everywhere, not just in Commiefornia .
Rich
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1961 View Post
Did you have a driver with a Class A accompany you for your test?
You are required to have a Class A driver accompany you. However, I did not. I don't even know anybody with a Class A. I got lucky! I'd rather be lucky than smart.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
You are required to have a Class A driver accompany you. However, I did not. I don't even know anybody with a Class A. I got lucky! I'd rather be lucky than smart.
You did get lucky. The first thing DMV did when I checked in was check my friends license to see if he had a Class A.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #36

Do ya'll actually hook up camper, pull sides in and drive to DMV and test drive with your home.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #37

In CA you bring in your 5ver to the test site and you are tested with your setup. They check your registration and insurance before you begin. They also noted the GVWR of the 5ver. In CA anything over 15000 lbs GVWR requires the Class A Non-Commercial as a minimum.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #38

That is a big hassle. I work full time and rv full time. When we move our home we travel to next job. Won't have time to do this.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #39

It was also a huge hassle for me. In all probability you will never get stopped. I just didn't want to take the risk.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #40

It's a hassle for everybody and most everybody is very busy with jobs and kids. While it's a pain and I can definitely see both sides, it's probably not a bad idea. There are some huge 5th wheels and motor homes out there and people buying them with zero towing or large motor home driving experience. Problem is, most all of the owners have no idea a Class A is required.

It's even more of a hassle if you get stopped and don't have the correct license and told to drop your trailer while also given a ticket. I don't remember if it was this forum or another but there was a discussion about a state trooper around the Livingston, TX area that likes to pull RV's over. He likes to check if the driver has the required license, at least that's what was discussed on the thread. We go to Lake Livingston quite often and never had any issues so not sure how true it is. I've seen DPS officers in that area, been followed by them, never had any issues. But, I also drive the speed limit, always use my turn signal, follow at safe distances, so I don't give them any reason to mess with me.

I don't think it's an issue because most RV drivers are very cautious and drive the speed limit or slower. I don't think the police can just pull people over for no reason but then I know they can almost always come up with a reason if they want to. I doubt a lot of small town police even know the rules but bet most all of the DPS officers in Texas know what license is required. Saying all of that, the odds are very, very low of getting stopped but it's a risk you take with not having the correct license. We are going on a long trip this summer and hope to go on more longer trips so I didn't want the risk traveling state to state.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #41

Just adding to the above post, I have heard from two different sources the the CHP is stopping Toy Haulers at the Glamis Sand Dunes checking for the proper license. They are betting that the guys just are not aware of the requirements. The 2nd guy that offered that awareness was the DMV tester for my license.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rich1961,
I realize that there are bad drivers in every state. The point I was trying to make is that California is being hard on upgraded noncommercial tests supposedly in the name of safety, but it doesn't help the people drive any better, it ends up just another government employee getting paid off the taxpayers and another fee(tax)to be collected.
I have no problem with upgraded licenses for large MH and large 5ers, in fact I think it is a good idea, but lets be reasonable about it. By the way, I have a Class A CDL and keep up my DOT physical card, so I do practice what I preach.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas, class a