Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Rich1961,
I realize that there are bad drivers in every state. The point I was trying to make is that California is being hard on upgraded noncommercial tests supposedly in the name of safety, but it doesn't help the people drive any better, it ends up just another government employee getting paid off the taxpayers and another fee(tax)to be collected.
I have no problem with upgraded licenses for large MH and large 5ers, in fact I think it is a good idea, but lets be reasonable about it. By the way, I have a Class A CDL and keep up my DOT physical card, so I do practice what I preach.
Frank
Hi Frank,

I'm sorry if I came across wrong, I put the smiley face and called this state Commiefornia to try and lighten it up a bit . I agree with you that it and many other things in this state are another reason for the state to get into our pockets. The Non CDL A is largely unknown to most owners of the heavier 5th Wheels, and even those with 5th wheels in the 10,001 to 15,000 GVWR's don't know that an endorsement is required on their Class C licenses to legally tow here. Believe me, I deal with these drivers out here everyday, and look forward to when I can retire in 5 years, and leave this state and all it's problems. Those of you with the CDL's, you have my respect when driving out here.
Rich

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #44

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rich1961,
No offence taken, just wanted to clarify my statement is all.
have a good one,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there any difference in Texas between the testing for class A and class B? Or is it just a difference in price?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear7938 View Post
Is there any difference in Texas between the testing for class A and class B? Or is it just a difference in price?

There is, as I recall, a separate set of questions regarding combination vehicles for the "A" but out of the same handbook. Also may/may not need the air brake questions and practical test. I did both a little over a year apart so can't remember exactly what's on each one.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
There is, as I recall, a separate set of questions regarding combination vehicles for the "A" but out of the same handbook. Also may/may not need the air brake questions and practical test. I did both a little over a year apart so can't remember exactly what's on each one.

I need Texas Non-commercial class B. My motor home is 40ft with air breaks. Toad under 10k lbs. how was your test? What was the air break test about? What did you have to do on the driving portion?

Thanks
Bruce
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #48

First of all do NOT take it where I did. Garland Texas DMV is full of people that do not understand RV. The air brake written is not tough but make sure you can demonstrate it completely before driving test. It's been awhile but chapter 14 I believe is where many of the questions come from. I did have to drive around a few blocks, get on and off the freeway. I also had to simulate a parallel park job along a curb but it wasn't tight or into cones. The class A I did a year later I took the written in Terrell and the driving test in Canton and it was much more pleasant. Also be aware it is the same test as a CDL and only 25 cities in Texas are allowed to give them so be prepared for a long (maybe 6 wk) wait to do the driving portion. Good luck.

Tags
texas, class a