Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. As I said, I'm not looking at these two comparing their towing abilities. It's more of if folks thought the mileage on the diesel was too high, especially compares to the gasser.

I'm going to look at the diesel next week, which will hopefully make the decision easier.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisavaet View Post
No one has mentioned payload yet, so I'll throw that into the fray. For two similar trucks, the diesel engine will weigh a lot more and reduce your payload by that amount.

Don't forget to consider the tires. If you're at your gross weight for the rear axle you're pretty close to maxing out the tires as well.

Just food for thought!

Namaste,

Kate

Yep, thought of that already. The gasser will be able to handle the trailer, but the trailer purchase is no where near settled, so I may go with a lighter trailer.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #17

Love my gas trucks I pull a 10,000 TT with a 1,000lb golf cart in the bed. My CC DRW gas truck works perfectly for what we do. The truck will do 75mph without really pushing it. It does downshift on hills and will scream if you need to maintain speed on a long hill that's just the nature of the beast. I will say if I make it scream to 4k rpms I have to get into the left lane to pass people.

I have owned diesels in the past and I'm well aware of ALL the benefits and I decided long ago that a gas truck does just fine for me. We don't go to the mountains if we did I would have a diesel. I also have enough experience with trucks that I don't need folks on an online forum to help make the decision for me based on their wildly different towing combinations and lifestyles.

Please don't take the last sentence personally I only say that to say trucks and towing setups can be as personal as your tooth brush, and with limited experience asking online can give you an overload of info. Some guys are just pure fanatics and will tell you anything other than what they have is junk.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #18

" The age old topic: gas V diesel"

Not really an age old topic as diesel trucks really haven't been around a long time. Folks have towed with gas powered rigs for years and years.

One thing to look at if you are buying a used truck is if it has aftermarket wheels. Many, and probably most, of the aftermarket wheels out there can be really light duty wheels. I was a tire shop and was looking at some really nice 18" X 9" 8 lug wheels that would be perfect on my truck. This had a 1800 lb load rating. The big majority have a 2100-2200 lb capacity. So beware. I did a lot of searching and only found a handful in that 3600-3800 lb range. Your wheels and tires should always have a larger load rating than the rear axle load rating.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I also have enough experience with trucks that I don't need folks on an online forum to help make the decision for me based on their wildly different towing combinations and lifestyles.

Please don't take the last sentence personally I only say that to say trucks and towing setups can be as personal as your tooth brush, and with limited experience asking online can give you an overload of info. Some guys are just pure fanatics and will tell you anything other than what they have is junk.
No worries. I'm the type to ask a lot of questions to folks I presume have more experience than I. I don't take everything said 100%, but check and recheck to get the info I need.

I agree, most people, whether it's RV related, photography, motorcycles, or whatever, think they're way is the only way. Haven't seen that here yet, but I'm sure there are those folks.

I've pretty much settled on a Silverado 2500HD gas. It's way cheaper to buy, and since we'll be doing this to explore the country, we'll be in no rush to get anywhere fast.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post

Not really an age old topic as diesel trucks really haven't been around a long time. Folks have towed with gas powered rigs for years and years.

One thing to look at if you are buying a used truck is if it has aftermarket wheels. Many, and probably most, of the aftermarket wheels out there can be really light duty wheels. I was a tire shop and was looking at some really nice 18" X 9" 8 lug wheels that would be perfect on my truck. This had a 1800 lb load rating. The big majority have a 2100-2200 lb capacity. So beware. I did a lot of searching and only found a handful in that 3600-3800 lb range. Your wheels and tires should always have a larger load rating than the rear axle load rating.
Spot on Bob1340. I upsized from my 17" to 18" rims and tires on my Ram. I went to Discount Tire and told the guy what I was doing as far as towing a 5th wheel. We went thru his catalog of rims. When I found one he called the Rim rep and several times when the rep was told that I'd be towing a 5er he said I shouldn't get the rims. Even though they were right at the weight rating needed. I found a set I like after about 4 phone calls.
I see lots of truck running around with 18" after market rims. I know some are underrated.
I even had a guy at Les Schwab tell me that any rim with 8 lugs is rated high enough for my truck. That's why I'll never shop at Schwab.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Spot on Bob1340. I upsized from my 17" to 18" rims and tires on my Ram. I went to Discount Tire and told the guy what I was doing as far as towing a 5th wheel. We went thru his catalog of rims. When I found one he called the Rim rep and several times when the rep was told that I'd be towing a 5er he said I shouldn't get the rims. Even though they were right at the weight rating needed. I found a set I like after about 4 phone calls.
I see lots of truck running around with 18" after market rims. I know some are underrated.
I even had a guy at Les Schwab tell me that any rim with 8 lugs is rated high enough for my truck. That's why I'll never shop at Schwab.
You'd thing it'd be illegal! i have no idea what the weight rating is on my factory RAM 18" wheels, never looked. But I do know they are probably somewhere in the 3500-3600 lb range. It is so sad to see a really stout Heavy Duty 3/4-1 ton truck with those 22" wagon wheels with tiny spokes. I am surprised they don't break when they run into potholes. And around here you'll see guys with 3 axle toy haulers in tow with wheels like that.
What I have always wanted and can't find them is the old school steel wheels with the "Dog Dish" style hub caps. I had a 1974 D200 with a Perkins diesel and those wheels. Stock factory wheels up front and 9" wide on the rear. I'd love to get those in an 18"X9" for my RAM. You can still buy the original Dog Dish hubcaps. They run about $80 a pop though. These are used ones, but the $80 gets you reconditioned ones that look great. Yes, I am old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog Dish.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	127237  
Old 05-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #22

The age old topic: gas v. Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post

You know, I never thought of the wheels. Thanks for mentioning it. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that the OEM wheels from the factory would be fine. The one I'm looking at has factory rims.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #23

One of the reasons that I went with diesel is the ethanol scam. Yes, they are forcing bio-diesel on us, but it isn't as bad as the ethanol. With the high fuel usage when towing, and ethanol reducing MPG, ethanol becomes a considerable unneeded expense. Add to that, the waste of tax dollars subsidizing the greedy producers.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can find some good deals on Ebay for 18 inch factory wheels and tires that are take-offs.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #25
RPr

Gasser - less expensive, does not stink, cheaper gas, less noise, less repair cost, no winter starting problems.

Diesel - better for towing, better mileage, more low end torque.

Either will do the job if they are used as they are supposed to be used. Low emission diesels seem to be the wave of the future, even for passenger cars.

It is mostly what you are comfortable with.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight View Post
You know, I never thought of the wheels. Thanks for mentioning it. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that the OEM wheels from the factory would be fine. The one I'm looking at has factory rims.
Factory wheels should be just fine. It's those cheapo Chinese aftermarket aluminum wheels you have to watch out for.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #27

Haven't been towing my 10,000 bumper pull TT long, but it didn't take long to figure out that my old Chevy ton truck with the 5.7L Vortec wasn't up to the task. Bought an F350 with the 6.4 diesel and I don't foresee any problems going anywhere I want now. I will find out next Thursday afternoon when I take off for the Smokies...that should be a proper test. No way I would have been comfortable hitting Jellico in the old Chevy, based on my brief experiences on more level terrain. I'm sure the newer gas trucks have more guts, though.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
Gasser - less expensive, does not stink, cheaper gas, less noise, less repair cost, no winter starting problems.

Diesel - better for towing, better mileage, more low end torque.

Either will do the job if they are used as they are supposed to be used. Low emission diesels seem to be the wave of the future, even for passenger cars.

It is mostly what you are comfortable with.
You need to get out of the house more often. Diesels haven't smelled for years. Gas is more $ at least where I buy it. Unless you live in where winter temps are below freezing all the time then winter's no issue. My 12 CTD is way quieter towing than my previous gasser. No 3500-4500rpm hill climbs. Better mpg towing as well.
Repair cost are more. If you need them. A good extended warranty covers that.

Tags
diesel, gas