Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #29

I think that in a few years we might see diesels in large pickups replaced by forced induction gassers; bigger more powerful Ecoboost type engines--GM is now making such engines and has a twin turbo 3.6 in the Cadillac CTS that makes 420hp and 430 torque, so they're hep to the technology. There's a rumor Ford is working on a 5 liter Ecoboost for the Super Duty. Such engines make very good low end torque and emission controls will probably be simpler. And they should be cheaper than diesels.

Not to mention not screwing around with the extra maintainence of diesels. Diesel enthusiasts don't mind that but many people want the simplest, cheapest and easiest to use tool that does the job.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I think that in a few years we might see diesels in large pickups replaced by forced induction gassers; bigger more powerful Ecoboost type engines--GM is now making such engines and has a twin turbo 3.6 in the Cadillac CTS that makes well over 400 hp and torque. There's a rumor Ford is working on a 5 liter Ecoboost for the Super Duty. Such engines make lots of low end torque and emission controls will probably be simpler.

Or maybe this
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...charged-diesel

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Interesting but making lots of power isn't the problem with modern diesels, extra cost and fiddlyness are the problems, at least as far as I'm concerned. Does this BMW engine address these issues? Are the pickup truck makers addressing them?
Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Are the pickup truck makers addressing them?
It seems to me like Dodge and Cummins have, by getting their emissions controls out into the market earlier than the EPA deadline for MD pickups, and working the kinks out by the time I bought my 2014 2500. Reliability appears to be nearly on par with the gas engine MD Ram line from the discussions I've had with owners of both so far.

I'm sure that somewhere there are or will be much better statistical analysis than my anecdotal bit of info.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #33

In the Diesel gas debate one thing that really works for me is an additional fuel tank in the bed. I like having a range of 1,000 miles. I understand the in-bed fuel tank is not possible to do with gas.

PS I'll always vote for diesel over gas when it comes to towing. I learned my lesson with my 24 ft boat (about 6,000 lbs total). My Ford 7.5L had a hard time getting up and over the hills getting to our lake. A friend let me try his Duramax. We did the same tow with the cruise control on and doing the speed limit with ease. It was as though we weren't towing anything. That sold me.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Interesting but making lots of power isn't the problem with modern diesels, extra cost and fiddlyness are the problems, at least as far as I'm concerned. Does this BMW engine address these issues? Are the pickup truck makers addressing them?

Well, my 09 ain't needed no fiddling. Things are much better.
Bmw say "diesel particulate filter, NOX storage catalytic converter and an SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system with urea injection." And 40 mpg on a series 7 is amazing.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #35

The age old topic: gas v. Diesel

Read the article and make your own unbiased judgement
The thing with diesel is the torque over gas. I wouldn't expect a huge mpg gain with big loads on a eco

Old 05-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #36

There is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline. It's as simple as that.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Steve
Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
There is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline. It's as simple as that.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Steve
You are correct. No doubt at all. But to many folks this is an economic issue. Sure the fuel cost on a diesel will indeed be cheaper, but at what cost? Maybe save $10-$15 a tank full? If you got a trailer your gas engine rig pulls okay why spend the 8-11K more money for an engine that requires a lot more expense in maintenance?
To me if the price was more reasonable for a diesel I would of got one, but my little trailer likes my gas engine and it tows just fine. It takes a lot of miles to recoup the cost of a diesel engine.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #38

The only reason gas is being pushed in America is due to companies making greater profit on cheap imported gasoline and exported diesel fuel.
The gasoline engine dries the cylinder at every power stroke while diesel engines are lubricated 100% of the time. It's dreaming in color to say gas is better then diesel.
Ford sells the new Ranger diesel everywhere but America, because they are better then the Ecoboost. and they would cut in the sales of the F150.
Ford had a beefed up 4 cylinder turbo engine in the earlier 80's and it died in no time as the engines did not last. VW put a new head, and oil cooler on a gas engine and it lasted 1,000,000 miles burning oil, and that was also in the same time.
Simple politics, fueled by greed.
I will never buy a new vehicle again at the unrealistic prices and the garbage that we are lead to believe we need.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I wouldn't expect a huge mpg gain with big loads on a eco
Nor would I. Pulling big loads seems to cost money, one way or the other. As things stand now I'd prefer to get the lower mileage with gas but have a cheaper and less finicky engine.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
You are correct. No doubt at all. But to many folks this is an economic issue. Sure the fuel cost on a diesel will indeed be cheaper, but at what cost? Maybe save $10-$15 a tank full? If you got a trailer your gas engine rig pulls okay why spend the 8-11K more money for an engine that requires a lot more expense in maintenance?
To me if the price was more reasonable for a diesel I would of got one, but my little trailer likes my gas engine and it tows just fine. It takes a lot of miles to recoup the cost of a diesel engine.
I agree on most accounts, but recouping the costs isn't really a concern. Getting the diesel option is no different than some guy getting a gasser and loading it up to the hilt with options. Will those options be recouped? Maybe, maybe not. How much will leather seats, moon roof, running boards or Nav be worth on resale. Diesel trucks will retain their value because they're diesels. If you pay $9,000 more for the diesel option or $9,000 for bling then you truck will be worth $9,000 (minus depreciation) more on resale. I don't think guys are figuring that they need to drive their diesels for 500,000 miles to recoup the costs anymore. It's about the towing experience.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look at the used prices of a 2003-2004 Ram diesel in good condition if you can find one.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #42

Diesel. You will never look back.

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas