Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #43

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around what is meant by "fiddlyness" or "finicky" as applied to diesel engines. Our old 5.9 Cummins has covered 286k miles and at least 200k of that with a 4300lb camper on it's back and towing a boat, Tracker, Samurai, or trailer. In those miles the only thing the engine has needed are oil changes at around 5k miles, fuel filters, and valve adjustments at 60k and it is still accumulating miles. Of course the alternator, starter, fuel lift pump, and water pump were replaced, but a much higher mileage than it would have happened on a gasoline engine because of the lower diesel rpms.

IMHO, that is about as far from 'finicky" or "fiddlyness" as one could hope for.

Just my 2c.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around what is meant by "fiddlyness" or "finicky" as applied to diesel engines. Our old 5.9 Cummins has covered 286k miles and at least 200k of that with a 4300lb camper on it's back and towing a boat, Tracker, Samurai, or trailer. In those miles the only thing the engine required is oil changes at around 5k miles and valve adjustments at 60k and it is still accumulating miles. IMHO, that is about as far from 'finicky" or "fiddlyness" as possible.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Right On,
Diesels engines never die, Its the truck around the engines that does.
Can't say the same for gas trucks.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #45

I have a 2015 2500 6.0 that I use to pull my 2016 Cougar 336 with. My thought is that the truck is engineered and rated to pull the load with this motor and transmission so why do folks feel that the truck is underpowered? I agree that your journey may take a little longer but the truck can handle the task. Gas engines are built to produce power in high rpm and there is nothing wrong with running them there. GM would not offer the power train warranty that they do if this was not a solid towing combination. Just my .02!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADuv View Post
I have a 2015 2500 6.0 that I use to pull my 2016 Cougar 336 with. My thought is that the truck is engineered and rated to pull the load with this motor and transmission so why do folks feel that the truck is underpowered? I agree that your journey may take a little longer but the truck can handle the task. Gas engines are built to produce power in high rpm and there is nothing wrong with running them there. GM would not offer the power train warranty that they do if this was not a solid towing combination. Just my .02!
I don't know about others, but I would be the last person in the world to tell someone else what kind of anything they should have. IMHO, if you like what you have you should keep it, after all it was your money that bought it.

Just enjoy it.

Steve
Old 05-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADuv View Post

I've got the same truck pulling a Jayco 323 fiver. Truck pulls it great with no loss of power except maybe occasionally on some of the steeper grades in the Adirondacks. But then I kick up the rpm's some and I'm more than fine. I just didn't think I needed to invest in a diesel for the few times where it would actually provide an advantage. If I lived out in the more mountainous west and did much more towing than I currently do, then maybe I would have gone diesel. It all depends on the individual's situation. The gassers are more than capable.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #48

A gas engine can do it. A diesel can do it better with less stress. They cost more but last longer. I use mine as a daily driver, work, taking the kids to school, etc. and it's great. Aside from the sound it doesn't really feel much different than a gas engine. And the deal I got on a a 3/4 ton diesel was so good it was priced around many of the more popular half ton trucks.

Tags
diesel, gas