Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think my truck and TT is about a well set up as they get. But you put an idiot behind the wheel of my set up that thinks he is in his BMW and we are all dead. I have a brain and I don't need a salesman what works. I think most of us here are the same. My 2500 is rated to tow 17K but there is no way i would do that but on other forums there are those that do. I know OutdoorsRV Mfg is staying under the 10K weight so there is no special license required in any state to tow them.

2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
Vintage RV Owners Club
I always wonder what it is about a tv towing "over the advertised limit" that makes it somehow inherently dangerous/lethal/irresponsible in the eyes of some.

The biggest "threat" in my opinion is to the equipment itself- which is really what the manufacturers are trying to "protect" by those numbers. Trucks can only work so hard; and tow over equals no warranty coverage if/when something breaks down.

But threat to life, limb, and property for that one reason? I just don't see it. Nor so far as I can tell does any insurance company/Court, at least given the total lack of cited cases where any such finding was made. This despite the very numerous discussions I've seen in this and other forums.

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #31
Good points, but then there is the new guy that had NEVER towed, his 1 St truck, and comes here for advice because the manufacturer puts up inflated numbers and doesn't explain that pin or hitch weight goes to GVWR and hauling capacity, which was derived from a stripped down model with a 150 lb. allowance for the driver. They don't tell you the options you added take away from what you can haul. The new guy sees only the numbers that seem to work for his needs. We do not presume to know he will tow at a safe distance, speed, or how to react if something goes wrong and he is overloaded. We must then err on the side of giving him the advice of getting a bigger truck to control all that weight and square footage of a trailer catching wind. It is possible to use a half ton truck beyond the numbers published by the manufacturer, IF experience and common sense are followed by the driver. So, if you drive a truck that is overloaded and you have the experience and common sense of how to operate it, don't take offense to the "weight police" giving newbies good advice.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #32
I personally think that most 1/2 tons are under rated on payload capacity. When a Honda minivan is rated for more payload than many 1/2 ton trucks there is clearly a serious underrating on the trucks. Do Honda minivans even have a frame??? I'm thinking they are unibody construction. Food for thought:

2015 F350SRW CC 4x2- GVWR 11500, UVW 7240, PL (Payload) 4260, 58% PL/UVW ratio

2014 F150 SC 4x2- GVWR 7100, UVW 5350, PL 1750, 33% PL/UVW ratio

2014 Honda Odyssey- GVWR 6019, 4396 UVW, PL 1623, 37% PL/UVW ratio

These are all published numbers meaning this should be for base models.

I've researched several other passenger cars and compact SUV's and found that pretty much across the board the 1/2 ton trucks have one of the lowest payload to UVW ratios.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #33
Would also like to point out that there are dozens of variables that would have to be accounted for to TRULY arrive at an accurate weight rating for a vehicle. Physical condition of roads, road incline/decline, speed, elevation, weather conditions, driver experience, load distribution, load center of gravity, driver reflexes, owner attention to maintenance, hitch type......You get the picture. The point here is that the manufacturers ARE making assumptions- we just don't know what they are.

If I'm buying a truck as a daily driver and plan to tow on a flat road under good weather conditions to the local lake a few times a year, I might go over my rating a considerable amount. I'd slow down, leave room, and pay attention.

If I'm planning to tow 90% of the time and will be traveling across the country, over mountains, down who knows what kind of roads and under what type of conditions, I might want a 20% cushion when fully loaded.

Common sense and experience rules the day. It is just NOT as simple as stamping a number. Period.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #34
I don't think the data is misleading, you just have to do your own homework like OP did. Too much is taken at face value (DIET SODA? MUST BE GOOD FOR ME) As a consumer you have to take responsibility and do your own homework. The manufacturers list the data as is because you cannot expect them to anticipate every situation. They are doing exactly what the government requires.

And it's just a detail but there are no more Dodge trucks. It's just RAM.

Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote