Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #15

"...skinny driver..." OK, that alone rules me out!

Yes, I'm aware Carriage is gone, I have paperwork that states 14,999 GVWR. I rounded up to 15K.

Thanks everyone for the input. With no immediate plans for towing, I had imagined I might replace my 1500 (daily driver when I'm not riding) with a similar 3500 or F350, so that if/when I ever do decide to tow, I'll be able to. I'm glad I posted the question here. Given what I've learned here today, I'll back burner the idea, and if/when I ever get serious about towing, I now have a little more knowledge. Looks like I can't have my cake and eat it, too.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Rogue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #16
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Just a quick question Rogue, Why the opposition to a dually? Not trying to be nosy so if you don't want to answer I understand. Just curious. I had a '74 Chev 1T dually 454 that I used to tow my race car 5er, it was a daily driver for me. Course in today's world gas prices would have probably precluded that.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Bankrupt. Gone. So don't expect anything from Carriage. I looked and looked and can't even find the GVWR of your trailer. But I found one at PPLMotorHomes, and they say it's actual scaled weight is over 12,000 pounds dry. As a full-timer, the trailer must haul everything you own, so figure at least 14,000 pounds on the road. Hitch (pin) weight will be your limiter, so assume the average of 20% of gross trailer weight, or 2,800 pounds wet and loaded pin weight.

So if you don't want to be overloaded, you need enough truck to tow a 14k trailer with 2,800 pounds of hitch weight without exceeding the GCWR or GVWR of the tow vehicle.

I'm a Ford fan, so I'll use Ford numbers, but I'm sure Ram numbers are comparable for similar trucks.

Used, but not too used, is a 2011 F-350 SRW SuperCab "shorty" (6.5' bed) 4x4 with diesel engine.

GVWR 11,500 minus 2,800 pin weight leaves a max of 8,700 pounds for wet and loaded truck weight. Is that achieveable? Yes, but you must promise to not haul anything in the truck but a skinny driver, full tank of fuel, and your slider 5er hitch. Very little else. Then weigh the wet and loaded rig including wet and loaded 5er on a CAT scale on the road and add the weight on the front and rear axles. Compare that weight to the GVWR of the truck, and you'll see where you stand as to how much more weight you can add to the truck without being overloaded. Maybe a few hundred pounds at most.

GCWR 23,500 minus 14,000 trailer weight leaves 9,500 pounds max wet and loaded truck weight without exceeding the GCWR of the tow vehicle. So GCWR is not your limiter. GVWR is your limiter.

So yes, it can be done without overloading your tow vehicle, but just barely. You must be aware of the weight limitations of your tow vehicle, and not try to hall all your stuff in the truck and trailer when you move. Maybe move the 5er, then come back and rent a U-Haul trailer to move the rest of your stuff. And no, you cannot graduate to a heavier 5er later. And that assumes a 2011 Ford diesel. (2010 and earlier have less towing capacity than the 2011).

The equivalent Ram to the Ford SuperCab is called a CrewCab. The MegaCab is Ram's real CrewCab, but you want a shorter rig that a MegaCab dragging the 35' 5er. So look for what Ram calls a CrewCab, and be certain it has the diesel engine.
FWIW a ram crew cab since 2010 is the same size cab as a Ford crew cab. The mega cab is bigger and roomier and has room behind the seats for storage and the rear seats recline instead of the fixed bench like chev ford and ram crew cabs.

Chad
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're right Chad. I have a '14 CCSB, 4x4, SRW, 6.7 and it's bigger than the old "Quad Cab" trucks.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #19

DieselTech39, given that it WOULD be my daily driver, and I don't even know if/when I'd tow my 5er (I just imagined having the option) it wouldn't make sense for me to have a rig I would have to work that hard to squeeze into the tiny parking spaces we have these days, or in some cases couldn't park there at all. It's the same reason I wouldn't want a long bed. I frequent parking garages in and around Seattle, for instance, and as it is with my 1500, I don't need to make it any more difficult. So again, I'll just take it off the table for now, and consider it again if/when I ever get serious about towing a 5er. And thanks again all for the great info.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
DieselTech39, given that it WOULD be my daily driver, and I don't even know if/when I'd tow my 5er (I just imagined having the option) it wouldn't make sense for me to have a rig I would have to work that hard to squeeze into the tiny parking spaces we have these days, or in some cases couldn't park there at all. It's the same reason I wouldn't want a long bed. I frequent parking garages in and around Seattle, for instance, and as it is with my 1500, I don't need to make it any more difficult. So again, I'll just take it off the table for now, and consider it again if/when I ever get serious about towing a 5er. And thanks again all for the great info.
Thanks for the reply Rogue. I understand your concerns and agree with them, experienced all of them. Glad we could help and hope you weren't put off by some of the posts.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #21

Quote:
4) I would like to hear about the greatest towing capacity possible within these limitations. The GVWR of my current 5er is 15K lbs, but if possible I would like to be able to move to a 38 footer in the future (with a similar floor plan, to give me a little more elbow room in the bedroom and a normal bathroom.) That is not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to have the option.
Trucks don't pull trailers determined by their lengths. Some 38' 5th wheel trailers can over load the rear axle/tires on most '11 one ton DRW trucks. And some 38' 5th wheel trailers will fit with a one ton SRW or DRW. Its all about the trailers CCC/dry weights and GVWR.

The newer 3500 SRW Ram Big Horn or Lone Star package with a 12000 up to 13400 GVWR with 7000 RAWR has up to 4600-4700 lbs payload all depending on which truck selections.

A 2014 3500 SRW crew cab chevy LTZ1 package with a 11400 GVWR and 7050 RAWR shows up to 4200 lb payload. The reg cab goes on up to 4600 lb payload.

These trucks will handle pin weight from a 14k-15k GVWR trailer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
It's your behind. I wouldn't tow any thing that big and heavy without a dually.

Agreed.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Well, I didn't drive the GM products at all, but the Ford diesel is quieter than the Ram... My new 2014 Ram 2500 still sounds like the diesel it is... It's quiet enough in the cab, but the first drive-thru I went to asked me to cut my engine so they could hear me....

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow