Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

Thinking about a used Cummins.....

I have a GMC 6.0 gas hd2500 to pull my 8000 pound trailer. It does ok, but struggles a bit on hills.

I have been thinking about a diesel and am really only interested in the Cummins due to simplicity, dependability and mpg.

I found a 2005 3500 dually with 107,000 miles. I understand that diesels go a long time, but is that too many miles? The truck is in very nice condition and has been well cared for. I have seen many for sale with over 200,000 miles and more.

This would be my first diesel, so I am looking for advice in terms of what to look for and should I even make the trade? Thanks in advance...

Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #2

12,000 miles per year is considered average, so the mileage isn't high by any stretch . The 05 with the Common Rail / Electronic injectors is a better system than the 98>02 setup . The 4 speed automatic is the drive line weak link. Particularly if it's a 2 wheel drive .
Problem with them is mainly the reverse gear ratio. When loaded near GCVW the truck would tend to balk if you tried to back up any kind of slope, and owners could burn out the reverse band by pushing too hard. In the 4X4 you had the option of using low range, if you were having problems.
Does the truck have an exhaust brake? That would be the first thing to add if you get this truck.
The only other common problems I can think of, the factory " U " joints are junk , but have probably already been replaced, and when used on gravel roads the rear disc brake caliper slide boots would get punctured and rust/seize the slides and burn out the rear disc pads. There is an aftermarket shield that can be installed to prevent this.
If the price is right and your happy with the service records, and condition , you would go a long way looking for a better tow vehicle.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well cared for and properly maintained.................No problem for that thing to get to 500,000.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

I'm just about to turn 200K on my '05 3500, std transmission.

Intercooler replaced early...factory problem.
U-joints replaced early...as stated, junk.
Shocks replaced
Vacuum pump replaced at 110K miles (buy it from Cummins ($200), not from Dodge ($1000))
Clutch replaced at about 160K miles
Brakes and rotors replaced 170K miles
Master power window door switch replaced 180K miles

I use Schaeffer oil, changed at 15K intervals, fuel filter changed same time.
I stay away from the dealers and I do not do the regular manufacturer suggested maintenance.

No engine work, other than clutch, no transmission work, no front end work, no rear end work, passenger compartment wearing well, paint wearing well. Still have the original batteries.

'05 Dodge is a good solid truck...IMO.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Thank you for the great replies....great info.

I have been told that this truck, though pretty heavy as a dually long bed, still gets 18-20 mpg hiway and 12-14 towing about 8,000 pounds...that seem to be in the ball park?
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Like all diesels these trucks respond well to being driven with a light foot.
That being said , 12 MPG towing , IMHO, is a real possibility . 18>20 empty, well I'll let , Gemstone , respond to that.
Straight Interstate driving on cruise , maybe.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Those MPG figures are what we can achieve with a SRW, driving at about 62MPH, but we no longer tow our heavy 5th wheel, just a 20' cargo trailer. I do have a mild chip, have had it since 20K miles, but rarely use it now with the light load. I have had no issues attributed to the chip, but I am not aggressive with it. It has been suggested to take used light duty diesels to a dealer to ask them to check the computer to see if they can detect prior chip usage....for your own satisfaction. Just because it has/had a chip, doesn't mean it has been hot-rodded.

Regards
Gemstone

Tags
cummins