Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

Thinking about Air Bags

Is anyone using air bags on the rear of their pickups?
The ride on my 03 Dodge 1-T Dually could be better with the 5th on, and I'm wondering if air bags might help the ride. The pin weight in my 5th is about 4,000 lb. The springs handle it ok, but the ride is rough on those bridge ends. I don't want to spend the money and time installing them, if they won't improve the ride.
So some of you that are using them, give me some idea's about ride improvement.
Thanks
Dick D

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #2

First of all, if your pin weight is as you say, 4,000 pounds, you are going to be pushing the rated capacity of that truck. Now, after all that is said and done, they will not help the ride one bit. Air bags are designed to supplement the load carrying capacity of the stock spring pack. Nothing more. I did use bags on my 2500HD Chevrolet to help keep the truck level when hitched to my too heavy fiver and they worked fine for that. But again it is not a good situation to be running in excess of load limits. Have you actually been across a scales to see exactly how much weight you are carrying on the rear axle?

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #3

Dick,

I have air bags (Firestone) on mine. I recently traded my camper (Lance 1161) for the Toy Hauler. One thing the air bags will do is adjust your height on the rear of the truck. If your pin weight lowers your spring pack to the overload springs, your ride will be much stiffer. What I have found when carrying my camper and somewhat on towing the 5ver, if I get the weight off the overloads, the ride is much improved.

Weighing your truck (unloaded) and your towing combo is a great idea. I found it more realistic to weigh when the trailer/camper is loaded with my stuff rather than empty and dry. That way you get the truck weight empty and then exact weights for your load.

Hope this helps,

BF
Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i had bags on my `06 F350. they did improve the ride with the 5er hitched up. just make sure you lower the air in them when riding solo.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Your information was quite helpful.

Yes the posted factory pin weight is 4,000 and NEVER lie on the heavy side. I think I will go ahead and put on some air bags they are not real expensive and if they help, great.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #6

Dick,

Pleast post the results of your addition. Inquiring minds want to know.

BF
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #7

I've decided to give them a try,,but it's hot here in S.W. MO so it will probably be Fall before I put them on.
Getting old I guess, I don't like working in the hot weather. Next year I'm gonna go someplace cooler and spend the Summer. (I know it's got wheels on it, but the Kid's wanted us to do some babysitting with the "little darlins" for the next 60 days) and pulling those Duals at 1++ is not my cup of tea.
It will be cooler in the Fall, and I will post about the outcome of the ride