Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The 2010 Ram Heavy Duty trucks (2500 and 3500) have new bodies but the 6.7L Cummins and the drivetrain is a carryover - it's been out several years now for any bugs to be worked out of it. Too bad the new long bed crew cab won't fit in our garage like the existing truck as it really looks nice.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #16

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
When I bought my TT, I pulled it with a 1996 Ford F-250 XLT, SuperCab, Heavy-Duty, 5-speed manual, PowerStroke diesel, 2WD, 4.10 limited slip differential. It did a commendable job of pulling the 28' 4" Jayco Eagle 266. The picture below was my avatar on this site for many years.

Last summer it was replaced with a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew-Cab with a Duramax/Allison, 4WD, 3.73 locking differential. While I was always satisfied with the performance of the Ford, the GMC could run rings around it.

I can only say that after pulling with diesels for the last 13 years, I would never have a gasser; and if you can afford the option on your next truck, go for it. Yes, you'll pay more for fuel, and diesel maintenance/repairs are a more costly. However, you'll be much happier with the towing ability/performance; especially when you attack a steep hill, attempt to pass someone on a two lane road or merge onto a busy highway from a dead stop.

This is the first crew cab I've owned. I like it a lot better than an extended cab as there's more leg room and easier access for passengers, not to mention a larger storage area when the seat is folded. The GMC rear seat is split 1/3, 2/3 so you can fold up one or both sides, depending on your needs. I use the back seat to store my more valuable things because the pickup bed caps (covers, toppers or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods) are so easy to break into.

Another first for this truck is 4WD. I've had pickup trucks since 1978 and everyone of them was 2WD. What I discovered, though, were a couple of things. One: In today's world, a 2WD truck is worth less at trade-in time because everyone wants a 4WD these days. Two: Campgrounds without paved roads and/or sites can be difficult, if not dangerous, to access without a 4WD. On more than one occasion, I had difficulty just backing into a muddy site that was level because the TT's wheels sink in a little and there's not enough traction with 2WD to keep it moving. One time, I even had to disconnect the TT and have the truck pulled out with the campground's tractor. Then, they hooked the TT up to their 4WD truck to get it backed into the site. It was a rather unpleasant evening with all the mud and rain.

When I bought the GMC, I thought about moving up to a one-ton but couldn't find anything on a lot equipped the way I wanted. My Ford had 133K on it. I took it in for state inspection and when the garage owner personally comes to you and says "I think it's time to replace it"... you listen. There wasn't any time to order one (much less peruse dealer lots. although I did a lot of research on the Internet) and I also had a TT with an inspection that was to expire in a week, along with an upcoming camping trip. There just wasn't enough time.

One of the options the GMC has (and I strongly recommend) is an integrated trailer brake controller. Ford also offers one but I'm not sure if Dodge has caught up with the pack on this yet. It's fantastic compared to the old Kelsey-Hayes pendulum type unit I had on my Ford. Stops are a lot smoother and the truck and trailer almost act as if they were one vehicle.

Well, I think I rambled enough here. I hope this has given you some thoughts, ideas or, maybe, raises some question(s) you hadn't thought of. Good luck in your quest.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #17

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took my daughter and boyfriend to look at the new TT today. Mapped out very hilly, non freeway trip from dealer back to my house. It's mainly 2 lane with max speeds to 55mph. If the Dodge doesn't strut her stuff on this trip, she's history.

The 2500HD with the hemi/V10 looks good to me. The deisel is a possibility, but not a probability.

Dodge dealer said my truck will do 7600trlr and 12500, total of everything, including multiple cases of beer(I prefer bottles so I have to consider the additional weight of the glass)

If I can't find a 2500 that does in the neighborhood of 9500 and 15,000, I may go 1 ton, but NO DRW. When I make turns, I don't even think of the back fenders. Knowing me, my rear fenders would be concave instead of convex...Trust me, I know my driving habits. A short bed and quad or mega cab is a must. In addition to my 5, there's the boyfriend and two sweet cocker spaniels(Are you starting to picture this?) Sure, we can take two cars and probably will on some trips, but the thought of 5/6 people and 2 dogs kind of intrigues me.

I knew I should have taken up skydiving????
Coach-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #18

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frank
I love the look and the colors of the Ford...Classic
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
One of the options the GMC has (and I strongly recommend) is an integrated trailer brake controller. Ford also offers one but I'm not sure if Dodge has caught up with the pack on this yet.
The integrated trailer brake controller comes as part of the trailer tow package on the 2010 Heavy Duty Rams. In addition, the exhaust brake is standard equipment with the Cummins engine.

Rusty
Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's some Dodge comments, I'm on my third one. Started with an underpowered 95 but a little work fixed that. Went to a 00 dually 5.9 with a 5 speed that was great 20 mpg empty and 12 towing 13k of trailer except the boss couldn't drive the standard. NOw to the 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. Great combo towing except 10mpg. Exhaust brake is just the ........ Ride is a bit choppy with the 4wd and short bed but real handy getting into tight parks. The 6.7 definitely does not lack for power. I am at max towing weight and the tuck handles it well. The ideal package would be the old 5.9 Cummins with the 6 speed auto.

Bill
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes, Tom, that is a rather unique color combination on the 96 Ford. It's one of the reasons I never used it as a getaway vehicle whenever I robbed any banks. In fact, the color combination is what caught my eye when I was driving past the dealer's lot it was on. I said to my wife "Did you see that truck?", to which she (of course) replied "What truck?". The rest is history. Within a month it replaced the 1989 Chevy C-1500 extended cab in our driveway. At the time I bought the 1996 Ford, I was only pulling a small pop-up, so it was pure overkill with the diesel and all. However, the purchase was made with the future in mind, and four years later, we purchased the 2000 Jayco TT.

I also had the same problem as Bill- a wife that doesn't do manual transmissions. I always had that concern in the back of my mind... "What if I was out in the middle of nowhere and became unable to to drive?". I thought I'd never like an automatic until I bought the GMC with the Allison. With all the hills here in PA, I have Tow/Haul mode on while running empty most of the time because it locks up the converter sooner and invokes the Grade Braking (along with Cruise Braking if the cruise control is set) feature(s). Between the Allison and the Duramax putting out 365 Hp and 660 lb torque, many cars get a big surprise when this beast comes off the line from a light. I don't go looking for races, but it's nice to know that you can put some twits in their place whenever they try to pull something off on what appears to them as a big, slow, lumbering, pick-up truck.

And lastly, thanks, Rusty, for the update on the integrated brake controller on the Dodge. I knew someone else would know since I haven't been looking at truck websites since I got the GMC last July.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #22

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I lied.

Went to look at 2005 Ram 2500 with a hemi that I found on craigslist. Truck was a little rough with 130,000 miles, but price was right. Turned around and saw a 2004 Ford F350 Super Duty XLT 4X4 Crew Cab (DRW) that looked like it came off the showroom floor. It was a bank repo. My knees started to shake. Auto Trans, Fifth wheel and Class IV or V receiver, Off Road Pkg, Brake controller, 6.0l turbo diesel. Every power option available. It has a short bed, tonneau, premium alloy wheels, tow pkg(12,500 GVW on door sticker),running boards, mud flaps, 6 new tires, new brakes, and 100,727 miles. It's platinum white so that I can put graphics on to match the trailer. It is flawless inside and out. Not even any scratches on the door sills. They're removing the DVD player from my Ram and putting it into the Ford. Yes, I bought it. Took it for a burn and it blew me away(The torque and the acceleration were unreal). Shop man said he used it to pull a trailer with an f150 to Toledo, drove to cinn to pick up another vehicle and got 23mpg round trip. Naturally, I ddin't believe him, but I can hope. Owner of dealership said I could expect around 12-16mpg pulling the trailer. Even that would be great! Dodge dealer said I shouldn't expect anything better than 6-8 with my 4.7l Ram, but for $45,000plus, he could put me into a new 2500.

Anyone have one and any comments positive or negative? I've read that the 6.0l has had problems, but if it made 100,000 and runs like this, I'm sure it will handle a lot more. I'm a big boy...I can take it. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Tom
Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I see one happy man just a sittin' in his truck the first night it's home. Now you've got plenty of towing wiggle room & also a great truck for upsizing your rv later. Post pictures of both your TT & truck when you get a chance. We LUV to see pictures here!

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #24

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine has a sign company. I'm going to take him a photo of the trailer and have him make me graphics to match for the truck.

Thanks Lori

Tom
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Bill 1374,,,,, What rearend gear do you have? The saleman says a 4.10 is not needed unless your out west. Your gas milage will take a hit. The 3.73 is plenty for towing a 12k 5er. He said with the 4.10 cruzing on the freeway you will be pulling higher RPM's = less MPG. Any feedback......If you bought a vehicle with a lower rearend gear, can that be upgraded later?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
What rearend gear do you have? The saleman says.....
With all respect, I wouldn't put much stock in what "the salesman says". The specs for your truck should give you the difference in GCWR for the different powertrain combinations - what does the manufacturer say? In the case of our Dodge, going from the 3.54 to the 4.10 rear axle added 1500 lbs to the truck's GCWR and put the RPM right where it needs to be for towing in 6th gear.

Rusty
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Bill 1374,,,,, What rearend gear do you have? The saleman says a 4.10 is not needed unless your out west. Your gas milage will take a hit. The 3.73 is plenty for towing a 12k 5er. He said with the 4.10 cruzing on the freeway you will be pulling higher RPM's = less MPG. Any feedback......If you bought a vehicle with a lower rearend gear, can that be upgraded later?
When we got our truck it came with the 4.10 rear end. I was indifferent back then. Now, I am really glad I have it. 65MPH empty I am turning around 1850RPM. So what? That is right in the middle of the motors power band as is just fine for cruising. The new diesels do much better with more RPM. This allows the emission systems wo work properly. Hook my 13000+ fiver and I can run all day over hill and dale with the cruise control on and set and not have to touch anything. Now, my truck was purchased for towing so that is what it is. If you are buying for a light trailer or a daily driver, then the 3.73 would be a better choice.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #28

A couple of remarks: I am typically loaded to 19,200 lbs (weighed) with the TT. I have a 2001 F-350 Crew cab and the 7.3 diesel. 6 spd. 4x4. Empty I get 19 MPG. Towing that large a load, I am down in the 11-12 mpg range. I live near Spokane and there is a mtn. range almost any direction out of town. I have yet to need more power. I cruise at 68 mph and blow the doors off other RV folk on grades.

I have a friend with a Dodge diesel and he gets about 21 mpg empty. The body appears more "cheezy" than the Ford's. These days I would not choose anything that was not Ford as Chrysler sometimes appears on death's door and GM is under Gummint control. Back when I selected the Ford, none of these issues existed. The reason for choosing the Ford is that Dodge doesn't make a true Club cab. The rear of the Dodge is several inches shorter than the Ford. Also, at the time I bought mine, Dodge did not make a one-ton that was not a dually. I couldn't fit a dually where my truck needed to go. I don't know if Dodge is still only making dually one-tons, but it would be worth asking. The GM club cab is also shorter than the Ford's. I wanted a manual trans with manual hubs. Chev doesn't make any that way. Once you try backing up a TT in the woods in 4x4 low range with the hubs unlocked, you'll know why this is a nice thing to have.

I am shopping for a new truck too. (knee injury, arthritis) The 2011 Fords should be out in a couple of weeks. I was never a Ford guy or anybody else for that matter. I'll choose what works best. Politics and financial turmoil has made the choice much easier. For the reasons listed previously, I would never choose a Dodge as I don't know if they will live as long as the truck. I don't want ANYTHING to do with Government Motors.