Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, the 10' Rams dumped the quad cabs and went with either the chassie cab, crew cab or the mega cab for 2010.

Quote:
from 450 Donn: 65MPH empty I am turning around 1850RPM.
that's fine. That is what I turn now empty in my Toyota at 65MPH.

Quote:
From 450 Donn: That is right in the middle of the motors power band as is just fine for cruising. The new diesels do much better with more RPM. This allows the emission systems wo work properly. Hook my 13000+ fiver and I can run all day over hill and dale with the cruise control on and set and not have to touch anything. Now, my truck was purchased for towing so that is what it is.
That is what I want to hear. I'm looking in the 13+ k range too....My present tow vehicle (05' Toyota 4-Runner V-8) with only 28k miles, at which well over half are for towing. So any new tow vehicle will be a tow vehicle first and daily driver 2nd. My wife has driven my brothers Mega cab Ram, so in a pinch she could drive.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach-Tom View Post
I refuse to buy an asian truck. Bought the Ranger without knowing it was a Mazda. I've owned 2 Lincolns and both were junk!
Tom
Tom, unless you had a Ford Courier instead of a Ranger, your Ranger was built in the United States, probably in Minnesota, Kentucky, or New Jersey. Here's a link: Ford Ranger

I had a Ford Ranger. The only thing that stopped it was a burning house falling on it and setting the truck on fire.

The Ford Ranger and the Mazda B2300 were the same truck with differences only in the grille and the window trim. The interiors were practically identical. That's because they were built on the same AMERICAN assembly line.

Ford owned a portion of Mazda for some time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #31

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stand corrected and thank you. The Ranger was an incredibly bullet proof truck. I loved it and as you can see by my new signature, I ended up with Ford again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this truck will be dependable.
Coach-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #32

I have a 97 Ranger, great truck, and would buy another in a heart beat except that is too small to comfortably pull our 17' Vanguard fiver. We tried it last summer and now know we need to move up especially since we want a 25' with a slide. The dream truck is a 2500 extended cab with the Duramax but having trouble getting that past the household CFO.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #33

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
RoyM:

I think you're dreaming about what I already have. I don't think you'll be disappointed pulling a 25' TT with a Duramax (or any of the diesels for that matter). In fact, about the only thing I am a bit disappointed in is the fuel mileage as compared to my previous 1996 Ford F-250 PSD (see my previous posts in this thread). However, there's a little more "overhead" with the GMC (it's heavier and equipped with 4WD) and has a lot more power (an increase of 155 horsepower and 235 ft/lb torque over the 1996 Ford). That increase in performance has to come from somewhere. Interestingly, the fuel mileage I've been getting when towing is about the same between the two trucks, but I've lost about 4-5 mpg driving it empty here at home.

Of course, the hardest thing to get past when buying a Duramax is the cost. For the 2009 GMC, the engine listed for $7,195 and the Allison Transmission was $1,200 ($8,395 total).
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I happened to stop at the Dodge dealer today to take a look at the 10' Ram Heavy-Duty. The diesel went from 5.7L to a new 6.7L Cummins. The salesman said that was the first one they received for this model year. He said it would be a 8-12 week wait to get another. Has anyone heard of how this new Cummins diesel is going? Boy, what a nice interior.
Dodge has never had a 5.7 diesel. The old engine was the 5.9, the 5.7 was the Hemi. Also the 6.7 has been out for about 3 years now.
If yo really want a Dodge then order what you want and get it in about 6 weeks, but it will be the way you want it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #35

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody use any diesel fuel conditioners when they fill up. Years ago I had Mercedes and Peugeot diesels. Always put conditioner for every tank full, especially in the winter. Never had a problem with either one. don't remember what kind of conditioner I used.

What do you use if anything and results?

Thanks
Tom
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AMSOIL Colf Flow Improver for the winter time and AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. Love the stuff, works good on 100% BioDiesel also
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #37

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did some research and found many Powerstroke owners use FPPF Deluxe Total Power. I bought some from fleetsource.com $9.90 for 32 oz, and I'm going to give it a try. Truck runs great and I want to keep it that way.

My 2 cents.

Tom
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #38

I have a 2004 3/4 ton 4x4 dodge with the hemi and 3.73 gears. I had a 25ft TT at about 5000lbs. It pulled ok at 65mph on level ground but like to down shift and rev on rolling and bigger hills. I now have a 5er at about 7000lbs. It pulls better then the TT. It will hit 5000rpms on long hills but keeps up with traffic. If you pull alot get a diesel, i pull 2000 miles a year in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #39

It was a beautiful day and after her chiropractor appointment we went to LOOK at a truck listed in the Truck Trader. I said whaddya think? Expected a well it's nice but let's look some more. Instead, got a looks good, let's see what we can do. Pulled the trigger on an 05 Dodge 2wd crew cab diesel with 113,000 km. Got a good price without beating him down and the financing works. Pick it up this week, they need to fix a few things.
Now I have no excuse to not get busy on the trailer.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #40

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on the Ford. Well after about 1500 miles, the Ford has been flawless. I'm averaging 14+ mpg around town and I live and work near the Greater Pittsburgh Airport(lots of hills).

My neighbor, who owns the local Ford dealership certified the truck and tacked on an additional 2 year 24,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty at his cost(2/3 retail). At least I have nothing to worry about for the next 2 years...yeah!

I made another change(I know, I'm nuts). Even though I haven't picked up the 26BH, I traded it in on a new 30BHS. I figured since I had a new truck that tows about twice what my Dodge towed, why not get the trailer I really wanted. Since my 26BH is considered used(already titled), I took a $1,000 hit on the trade, but I'm way more happy!

He ordered the interior and options I wanted and it should be in around the end of the month...and yes...I'm going to pick it up and tow it somewhere. The Aliner, the 21BH, the 26BH, and now the 30BHS. I think I'm done, although when pullling out last week, I took more than a passing glance at 5th wheel trailer...nahhh, I'm done for now.

Thanks for all of your insight, tips and recommendations. You all ROCK! I really hope to meet many of you and throw down a couple a cold ones or 10.

Tom
Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I think I'm done, although when pullling out last week, I took more than a passing glance at 5th wheel trailer...nahhh, I'm done for now.
no your not, trust me....Your going to look at anything your new truck will tow....

Ever camp at Laurel Hill State Park? Were going to try Prince Gillitzin SP. in June....this year. We have camped at Laurel Hill the last 13 out of 15 years.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's see new to you truck, New TT. Yeah you are NOT done. 5th wheel is next and had you seen the light prior to upgrading to the new TT you would be getting one right now. Way more room and much easier to tow you will be after you see the light.