Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #15

Hey Bill, what fuel mileage are you seeing with your 6.4 diesel? I have a 2006 f 250 crew cab, 4by4, king ranch with the 6.0 turbo diesel. I am towing a 35ft Toy hauler, got 10-12mpg on our first trip.
i hope these Timbren springs help with ride stability on my next trip in about 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
I installed them on my F-250 and think they work great. Installation took about 20 minutes. The only drawback is that the truck no longer squats enough to get my trailer level front-to-rear even after I raised the pin box to the highest position. I love the extra stability they provide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
I get 10-11 mpg in the flatlands, but as low as 8 in the mountains. (15-17 unloaded.)

KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
On a pickup, I would suggest these because they do exactly what is needed:

Roadmaster Active Suspension, rear leaf spring suspension, simple installation, improve road handling, reduce sway, reduce dangerous body roll on cornering, eliminate bottoming out, eliminate wheel hop, eliminate axle wrap, strengthen the rear leaf s

The Timbren (not a dealer) people told me their product is not for continuous overloaded conditions.

Good luck.
Truth.

This is what happened on return trip from picking up and carrying my Arctic Fox 990 truck camper from Oregon to Southern Cal. Note how the product worked its way nearly sideways over the long trip, smashing and causing damage to the rubber spring.

Timbren replaced with a shorter set, which got smashed and destroyed. I eventually replaced them for front springs, which worked great. Note that this spring was stout enough to handle the weight, just couldn't stay straight. There was no solution to this problem, the only reason it didn't completely bend sideways is the spring pack on the left stopped it.

If I were to try this product again, I would insure I bought the Single spring product heavy enough for my load. The single spring product would be less likely to end up like this.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #18

Grodyman, i that pic i don't see the factory "axle protector". i am not sure i am calling the part buy its correct name. axle protector, part of it is a block,that fits under the leaf spring, the other end stick out over the axle, that end is curved. i am pretty sure every truck has these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
Truth.

This is what happened on return trip from picking up and carrying my Arctic Fox 990 truck camper from Oregon to Southern Cal. Note how the product worked its way nearly sideways over the long trip, smashing and causing damage to the rubber spring.

Timbren replaced with a shorter set, which got smashed and destroyed. I eventually replaced them for front springs, which worked great. Note that this spring was stout enough to handle the weight, just couldn't stay straight. There was no solution to this problem, the only reason it didn't completely bend sideways is the spring pack on the left stopped it.

If I were to try this product again, I would insure I bought the Single spring product heavy enough for my load. The single spring product would be less likely to end up like this.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #19

That truck is a 06 Dodge 2500, not a Ford. That particular Timbren set is made to contact the axle tube directly. Simply replaces the factory bumpstop. Timbren even said that the single convoluted springs are less prone to the problem I experienced. Unfortunately, the single spring wasn't heavy duty enough and got destroyed by the weight.

The firestone ride rite airbags worked great because they were bolted top and bottom and could not torque sideways, unfortunately at 90 psi flattened like pancakes with the heavy camper, I eventually installed a custom 5 pack of overload springs.

Hopefully your load is light enough that a single spring set can help out, if so, they will work great.

Gman
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #20

5000 lbs on the rear of a 3/4 truck is grossly overloaded--not unusual to have the excessive squat that occurred. Results with the airbags show that also.
What are the load ratings on the rear tires?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #21

A Timbren does not provide enough movement up and down. My statement about Timbren was from THEM. It's not just my opinion. If you want your vehicle to ride like a concrete truck all well and good. The Roadmaster system does not treat your current suspension as an afterthought. Timbrens do because they have no choice. They are just big bump stops (made from super duper rubber). Timbrens on an F53 chassis as provided by TIMBREN come in contact with the axle directly. An F53 chassis is far more heavy duty than any pickup. When I posted here much earlier, my pictures of my bump stops coming in contact with the axle and the marks left by those original bump stops I got flac. Like I didn't understand the problem. Well Timbren understood when I sent my pictures of the stock bump stops and the scuffing marks on the axle. I showed how the Timbren (bump stops) would jeopardize the factory brake lines. They had to back off. In case anyone thinks it was a fight I was trying to pick with them, it wasn't. I asked them what they could do to address the problem and that's why they got the pictures to clarify.

If you are constantly loading down your truck to the point you need giant bump stops, your truck is overloaded and the next duty rated truck is needed. Something many don't know, Not all 3/4 ton trucks are the same. I bought enough of them to know. Expecially springs and brakes.

Since I mentioned overloading. My motorhome rear axle with my motorhome COMPLETELY empty had an overloaded rear axle. I proved it to the MH manufacturer and I was PAID COMPENSATION. I had to make my own fix but I was PAID first. Well that's another story which did not end well here either. It did however end well for me.

I was FORCED to approach the Timbren company because ALL other aftermarket air bags and rubber spring companies did not make a setup for my F53 chassis MH. Just because it was made by the "WRONG" company. The biggest manufacturer in the United States. Timbren, so I thought was my last hope. I wanted them to work. While I was first looking major dealers said to watch out. The pictures above are what they described.

Just another overlooked point. Putting big tires or stronger tires and heavier springs does not beef up the axle. I should have a buck for every "trucker" I seen fooling himself with his pickup.

Good luck to all.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #22

We've had Timbrens on our '05 Silverado 2500HD since new. They work extremely well for us but then, we don't overload our truck... It pulls a 33' Weekend Warrior fifth-wheel toyhauler, weighing in at a portly 14,800 lb when loaded with six dirt bikes, 1,200 lb of water, 600 lb of fuels, etc...

Why I chose Timbrens over airbags?
Less expensive.
Maintenance free.
Does not affect unladen ride at all.
Can't leak.
Don't need adjustment.
Don't need an air compressor.
Took 20 minutes to install, haven't touched them since.
Provide the stability needed when hauling the 15000# fifth-wheel trailer.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #23

I like the air bags better
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
A Timbren does not provide enough movement up and down. My statement about Timbren was from THEM. It's not just my opinion. If you want your vehicle to ride like a concrete truck all well and good. The Roadmaster system does not treat your current suspension as an afterthought. Timbrens do because they have no choice. They are just big bump stops (made from super duper rubber). Timbrens on an F53 chassis as provided by TIMBREN come in contact with the axle directly. An F53 chassis is far more heavy duty than any pickup. When I posted here much earlier, my pictures of my bump stops coming in contact with the axle and the marks left by those original bump stops I got flac. Like I didn't understand the problem. Well Timbren understood when I sent my pictures of the stock bump stops and the scuffing marks on the axle. I showed how the Timbren (bump stops) would jeopardize the factory brake lines. They had to back off. In case anyone thinks it was a fight I was trying to pick with them, it wasn't. I asked them what they could do to address the problem and that's why they got the pictures to clarify.

If you are constantly loading down your truck to the point you need giant bump stops, your truck is overloaded and the next duty rated truck is needed. Something many don't know, Not all 3/4 ton trucks are the same. I bought enough of them to know. Expecially springs and brakes.

Since I mentioned overloading. My motorhome rear axle with my motorhome COMPLETELY empty had an overloaded rear axle. I proved it to the MH manufacturer and I was PAID COMPENSATION. I had to make my own fix but I was PAID first. Well that's another story which did not end well here either. It did however end well for me.

I was FORCED to approach the Timbren company because ALL other aftermarket air bags and rubber spring companies did not make a setup for my F53 chassis MH. Just because it was made by the "WRONG" company. The biggest manufacturer in the United States. Timbren, so I thought was my last hope. I wanted them to work. While I was first looking major dealers said to watch out. The pictures above are what they described.

Just another overlooked point. Putting big tires or stronger tires and heavier springs does not beef up the axle. I should have a buck for every "trucker" I seen fooling himself with his pickup.

Good luck to all.
I've read this thread three times and don't know what has you so upset. Who are you responding to? If it is me, I was agreeing with you.

Gman
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
I've read this thread three times and don't know what has you so upset. Who are you responding to? If it is me, I was agreeing with you.

Gman
I agree with you. There's a lot of junk out there. That's my opinion.

Why would there be no perch for the rubber to ride upon? They, Timbren, says you don't need it. They told me the same thing with my F53 chassis. It's obviously not correct.

Your pictures substantiated my opinion and statements. My long winded post which sounded like a diatribe was born from my efforts to determine who was at fault in my case. It is NOT the chassis manufacturers fault. They know exactly the chassis capabilities and what is safe. What's wrong is the second guessing of the users often carrying too much and the people wanting to sell something to facilitate them. They second guess the chassis manufacturer. In the case of motorhomes the motorhome manufacturers ignore the specific and written instructions given to them by the chassis manufacturers. Some of the air bag companies attempt to make you THINK the holes in the chassis are for the air bag installation. Obviously they are not. I checked.

Since the post is about Timbrens I stated what was told to me directly from the makers of the Timbrens and the pictures match what they said.

Gman, did you have to reroute your brake lines away from the Timbrens? Looks like it to me.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #26

back in the day we wold put a Pace of 4+4 in Thai and call it good
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
We've had Timbrens on our '05 Silverado 2500HD since new. They work extremely well for us but then, we don't overload our truck... It pulls a 33' Weekend Warrior fifth-wheel toyhauler, weighing in at a portly 14,800 lb when loaded with six dirt bikes, 1,200 lb of water, 600 lb of fuels, etc...

Why I chose Timbrens over airbags?
Less expensive.
Maintenance free.
Does not affect unladen ride at all.
Can't leak.
Don't need adjustment.
Don't need an air compressor.
Took 20 minutes to install, haven't touched them since.
Provide the stability needed when hauling the 15000# fifth-wheel trailer.
I really LOVE Chevy trucks. I've been buying them for a really long time. Never saw a 3/4 ton (2500 series) that could pull a 15,000 pound trailer. Well at least not one that was rated to do it. What kind of equipment did you have Chevy add to do it with a 2500HD? How much do these trailers weigh over the bed of the truck?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #28

Yep, Chevy trucks are fine, as are Ford & Dodge. All good tools.

Plenty, if not all 2500HD's can easily pull over 15k. Mine's rated to pull a 12,000 lb. ball hitch load, and a 16,000 lb. fifth-wheel load. Only thing I changed, was adding the Timbrens. That took about a half hour. I think the pin weight is about 1600# or so.

I'm assuming anyone who's remotely serious about towing has a diesel. We recently gave our 2005 2500HD & toyhauler to our daughter and son in law, but I think I may get another diesel 2500, as it's such a nice vehicle to have around the house.

EDIT: My bad, looks like the Dodge 2500 of the same vintage can only tow 13,100 lb fifth-wheel, and the Ford F250 15,400 lb.