Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #29

Not wanting to argue with anyone in this thread: the pin weight on a fifth wheel is usually 20% to 25% of the total weight, so a 16k fifth wheel pin would be over 3k, which is grossly over weight for a 3/4ton truck
I have a 3/4ton truck, and according to the manufacturers dry weight, my 35ft fifth wheel weighs 9200lbs, although the manufacturer aslo claims a pin weight of 2400lbs, this 2400lb pin weight is the reason i installed the timbrens. i will take a trip in two weeks and give this truck another try, if it is still not to my satisfaction, a 1 ton dually long bed will be purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Yep, Chevy trucks are fine, as are Ford & Dodge. All good tools.

Plenty, if not all 2500HD's can easily pull over 15k. Mine's rated to pull a 12,000 lb. ball hitch load, and a 16,000 lb. fifth-wheel load. Only thing I changed, was adding the Timbrens. That took about a half hour. I think the pin weight is about 1600# or so.

I'm assuming anyone who's remotely serious about towing has a diesel. We recently gave our 2005 2500HD & toyhauler to our daughter and son in law, but I think I may get another diesel 2500, as it's such a nice vehicle to have around the house.

EDIT: My bad, looks like the Dodge 2500 of the same vintage can only tow 13,100 lb fifth-wheel, and the Ford F250 15,400 lb.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #30

I've never weighed the pin on the toyhauler, but they're generally known to be around 1500-1800 for 32-36'ers. Could be different on a non-toyhauler fifth-wheel, but 25% of GVW sounds very, very high. Our 2500HD has handled it for years absolutely fine.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #31

I put Timbrens on my 2002 Dodge 2500, and haul a 3000lb Lance camper, or a 22' gooseneck horse trailer, depending on the mission. The Timbren puck added a much smoother ride when trailering, and eliminated almost all body roll with the camper. I just traded the truck for a 3500, and plan to add the Timbrens before I tow. They don't increase your capacity, but they do make use of your suspension like it was designed to be used.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #32

Installed Timbrens on my truck a few months ago, drove 14 miles and immediately removed them and shipped them back to the supplier. Now have air bags that didn't cost much more. The problem with the Timbrens was near zero clearance unloaded made for erratic ride characteristics as the Timbrens would make and then break contact with the axle. My case is unique, with an aftermarket bed and an additional 20 gal of fuel, I have about 500 lbs more on the rear axle than stock. Would have had to get the rear springs re-arc'd to get more clearance. Easier to just switch to air bags. Now I can have any ride stiffness I want with different air pressure, but most importantly, it is consistent across a wide variety of road conditions, something the Timbrens couldn't provide. I think anyone dealing with various loads could get to a similiar point of partial Timbren application.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #33

Well, what I have read from some of the postings on this subject, is, that there seem to be cases were some are thinking that using Timbrens or Air Bags are to be used for cases when you are, or may, OVERLOAD your vehicle. I personally think that kind of thinking is poorly thought out, & not using COMMOM SENSE we sometimes forget we have. I have NEVER seen a case were ANY of these products, properly installed, & for the CORRECT reason have not worked as designed. Using these products does NOT increase the load capacity of our vehicles. They do NOT mean anyone should increase the load on their vehicle over the Manufacturers specs. ANYONE thinking otherwise are only fooling THEMSELVES & nobody else. JMHO

Reg
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
Well, what I have read from some of the postings on this subject, is, that there seem to be cases were some are thinking that using Timbrens or Air Bags are to be used for cases when you are, or may, OVERLOAD your vehicle. I personally think that kind of thinking is poorly thought out, & not using COMMOM SENSE we sometimes forget we have. I have NEVER seen a case were ANY of these products, properly installed, & for the CORRECT reason have not worked as designed. Using these products does NOT increase the load capacity of our vehicles. They do NOT mean anyone should increase the load on their vehicle over the Manufacturers specs. ANYONE thinking otherwise are only fooling THEMSELVES & nobody else. JMHO

Reg
Then why bother buying any aftermarket product? If you stick strictly to the sticker, you should be fine with stock suspension. No manufacturer of a product is going to advertise overloading your vehicle, too much liability, just COMMON SENSE. I like using caps to emphasize my point too.

I WAS overloaded with my camper, and they didn't work. To the OP, let us know how you like the ride with the Timbrens, they are pretty stiff, if you don't have enough weight, the ride will be harsh. I know, I have actually USED them. Do you like the preachy tone of the caps emphasis?

Gman
Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #35

Gman-
You may have installed them incorrectly. Timbrens do not affect unloaded ride in any way. It's not until the suspension is compressed somewhat that they come into play. We've used them for years on a couple different trucks with excellent success.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
Then why bother buying any aftermarket product? If you stick strictly to the sticker, you should be fine with stock suspension. No manufacturer of a product is going to advertise overloading your vehicle, too much liability, just COMMON SENSE. I like using caps to emphasize my point too.

I WAS overloaded with my camper, and they didn't work. To the OP, let us know how you like the ride with the Timbrens, they are pretty stiff, if you don't have enough weight, the ride will be harsh. I know, I have actually USED them. Do you like the preachy tone of the caps emphasis?

Gman
TOUCHY TOUCHY. (I just LOVE those Caps.)