Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Timbren suspension springs?

Anyone add Timbren springs to there tow vehicle?
aspeyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

lots have. Equal numer use air bags. What's your question?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

I had them on two previous trucks. A '92 3500 chevy DRW and a '01 2500 Dodge.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got them on my 06 Chevy and moved them from my 03 Chevy. I think they are cheaper than air bags and simpler. They seem to do a good job. Truck seems more stable when towing.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

I had them on my 06 Dodge 2500 trying to carry a 5000lb. truck camper. They worked their way off of contact with the axle tube and bent sideways. I am not a believer in the product for the rear suspension, but LOVE the product for the front suspension, which I traded my rear set for, good company.

I had Firestone ride-rite airbags which are a much superior product in my view because they attach to the frame on top and the axle tube on the bottom. Ultimately, I ended up with a custom 5 pack of overload springs installed as both the Timbrens and airbags were not heavy duty enough for the weight of the slide in camper.

I alway recommend overload springs, however, as the truck is structurally designed to handle the stresses by distributing payload weight over 8 points of frame contact vs. concentrating that weight over two points of contact with airbags and Timbrens.

We can't really recommend either until you tell us what kind of truck you have and what you want to haul?

Gman
Grodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #6

i have ordered a set of Timbrens for the rear of my truck. I have a 2006 ford f 250, crew cab, 4 by 4, turbo diesel. I am towing a 35 ft toy hauler fifth wheel, and wanted a little extra capacity. extra leaf spring would stiffen the ride all the time, air bag lines eventually leak, Timbrens seem simple, no moving parts.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #7

I had them on my '04 350 SRW and '07 DRW (same set, moved them before trading) and they worked as advertised. Sold them when I bought the 450. I am thinking about another set as the 450 has settled some now with 58k on it. They are so simple to install and forget about them...and they don't affect the unloaded ride.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have had them since my first trip in our 5th wheel and they did wonders for me, really helped smooth the ride out.
aldermanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #9

great, springs are being installed on my truck at 3 o'clock today, next trip towing my 35 ft fifth wheel is planned for april 21-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldermanre View Post
I have had them since my first trip in our 5th wheel and they did wonders for me, really helped smooth the ride out.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #10

On a pickup, I would suggest these because they do exactly what is needed:

Roadmaster Active Suspension, rear leaf spring suspension, simple installation, improve road handling, reduce sway, reduce dangerous body roll on cornering, eliminate bottoming out, eliminate wheel hop, eliminate axle wrap, strengthen the rear leaf s

The Timbren (not a dealer) people told me their product is not for continuous overloaded conditions.

Good luck.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #11

Great Product. Also used in Commercial Trucks & Trailers. I had them on my 1999 Ford F-350 Dually. Used pulling my large 5ver & use carrying my 10 ft 6 inch Lance Camper. Work as advertised without needing Air Lines, Air Tank, or Air Compressor.

I had them on my 06 Dodge 2500 trying to carry a 5000lb. truck camper. They worked their way off of contact with the axle tube and bent sideways. I am not a believer in the product for the rear suspension, but LOVE the product for the front suspension, which I traded my rear set for, good company

I would suggest they were installed incorrectly for this to happen. If, they were going to bend sideways after being installed then that condition would or should have been noted at the time of installation. I have installed these on MANY trucks & NEVER seen this condition. JMHO

Reg
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I installed them on my F-250 and think they work great. Installation took about 20 minutes. The only drawback is that the truck no longer squats enough to get my trailer level front-to-rear even after I raised the pin box to the highest position. I love the extra stability they provide.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When I bought the 30" travel trailer and hooked it up my 1999 Tahoe the tongue weight pushed down the rear of the Tahoe to the extent that I had to do something. I chose the Timbren Aeon Rubber Springs. They worked great, did the job that was necessary and were much cheaper and less expensive to install than air bags. I dont think one can go wrong with them if they have the one for your load weight.

For those that are not familiar with them, they only come into play when the added weight is applied so the dont "raise" the rear of the vehicle.

Timbren Aeon Hollow Rubber Springs
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Timbren makes different suspension configurations for what you need.
Any suspension improvement will make for a safer controlled ride.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote