Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #1

Has anyone gone from Timbrens to air bags using the same tow set up? If so, did the airbags provide a smoother ride in the tow vehicle? I'm happy with the load carrying capacity of the Timbrens but the ride in the truck can be quite harsh at times when towing. I just recently put a Trailair hitch on the fiver but wondering if air bags would help soften some of the bumps and jolts. The Timbrens seem to transfer all the bumps and ruts right through the frame into the passenger compartment creating a rough ride. Do air bags seem to do the same thing?

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #2

Has anyone gone from Timbrens to air bags using the same tow set up? If so, did the airbags provide a smoother ride in the tow vehicle? I'm happy with the load carrying capacity of the Timbrens but the ride in the truck can be quite harsh at times when towing. I just recently put a Trailair hitch on the fiver but wondering if air bags would help soften some of the bumps and jolts. The Timbrens seem to transfer all the bumps and ruts right through the frame into the passenger compartment creating a rough ride. Do air bags seem to do the same thing?

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

I talk from experience rhe air bags are a lot better.I replace the timbren with air bags because the ride was bumpy.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #4

Remember, and this is important, Timbrens are nothing more than taller bump stops. They will do nothing for ride except when you hit a eally big pot hole and the suspension would bottom out they will hit sooner and harder than stock. Air bags act similar to shock absorbers when inflated to around 15 pounds. That is, they tend to smooth out and soften the action of the springs. The difference is that with air bags you can add air and raise the truck back to nearly level when a load is applied. You cannot do that with Timbrens. Air bags are no more difficuly to install than Timbrens if you read and follow the instructions. I did it in a couple of hours without removing any wheels.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #5

I just changed my excursion to air bags (Auto level system.) It was a night and day difference! The timbres did not level the truck out after we hooked up. The air bags level the truck 8 seconds after we hook up. When I raise the jack to put my weight bars on it releases air to lower the unit to level. And when we lower it raises the bag to level it again. My steering was better on this trip. My trailer would drop my rear about five inches prior to the bags. The instal was easy just had to move the four inch exhaust a little. While we were installing the system we saw that my tires were dry rotted on the inside of the tire by the rim. My excursion was only seven months old with 5,ooo miles on it. I called the dealer and took a tire in to them. They himmed and hawwed and started to tell me that they could not replace them. I interrupted the warranty guy and said to my service advisor. Mark down the date and mileage of when I was here and the problem with all of my tires. I then turned to the warranty guy and said I leave tomorrow for Myrtle Beach, 12 hours and 600 miles. If anything happens to my family I will come back and kill you! He smiled and waited for me to smile I did not! They went into an office and came out and said we will have new tires mounted by noon! I said thank you. I love them!

Harleysville, Pa.
Cleticcampers is offline   Reply With Quote