Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Timbrens, yes or no?

I have a 2005 Ford F150 FX4 with a 5.4L V8. I want to install a leveling kit on the front but I don't want to sag too bad when pulling my TT. Are Timbrens worth doing or do I just need to spend the extra money for air bags? What do Timbrens do to the ride quality when not towing?

Regannielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
I put Timbrens on my truck recently. They are easy to put on and replace the factory bump stops. When truck is empty they ride above the axle and you don't feel them. When truck is loaded they engage and reduce sag and provide some cushion on the bumps. I like mine and picked them over airbags because once installed you can forget about them. No air to put in or let out and no worries about leaks. Plus they are quite a bit cheaper.

2015 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS
2011 Dodge 2500 HD MegaCab CTD 4x4
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Problem with Timbrens and a leveled truck is that Timbrens are designed to sit 1" above the axle. So if you're level before hitching up then you'll be 1" low in the rear after hitching up. Bags would bring the rear back to level as they're more adjustable.

I've been contemplating installing a leveling kit on my Ram 2500 but I tow a 5th wheel. I drop 2" in the rear when loaded. I would still be low in the rear with Timbrens. Bags could be inflated to re-level the truck.

One thing to watch out for is if you're using a WD with built in friction sway control and then if you add air to the bags to rear to raise it back to level then you remove friction from the WD bars. The bars are relying on the TT's tongue weight for friction. By adding bags and airing them up you're reducing the load on the bars.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
I just realized I said TT in my previous post. It is fifth wheel
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Air bag are the way to go because of the adjustability.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Proper truck for the load is the way to go!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Timbrens are nothing more than a heavy-duty bump stop, but they will keep the rear from sagging under load. Air bags are more versatile, but can require adding/removing air, and can develop leaks.
Have had both, and both work. Timbrens are less complicated, you can install them in less than a hour. Air bags are more complicated to install, but may not be too hard except for the air lines/possible compressor.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
I've had both. Air bags are the way to go for all the reasons stated above.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Forget about crutches and get a truck with a suspension capable of handling the trailer.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
Coastal Campers
I tow with passenger vans, and they seem to come with relatively "soft" springs for passenger comfort .... I installed air bags on my old Chevy 3/4 ton, and while they worked fine, they are not as good as the Roadmaster Active Suspension Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs that I recently installed on my current Ford E350. Went on easy, and no adjustments necessary.
2012 Keystone Outback 277RL (Salty Doghouse II)
2005 Ford/Quigley E350 4x4 Van 6.0L Diesel (Moby)
Molson (goldendoodle-11yrs) & Zeke (parti poodle-6mos)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #11
Unless you have a very light 5er, even with the 'correct' suspension, you might have a rear end sag of 2-3 inches. Unfortunately pickups have changed over the years where the manufacturer's have decided that the mythical urban cowboy wants something that rides like his family sedan and it's at the expense of load carrying ability. Yes, these new trucks are rated for some weight capacity, but they really droop and often to the overload springs (if equipped) or rear end sag. Load capacity doesn't really start until you get into the dual rear wheel versions - and even then they are often limited.

Timbrens are, as said above, an expensive bump stop - they work but have no real adjustability. Then there are Stable Loads which, IMO, put an incorrectly located bending moment on the spring pack

Add a leafs work too but can make the truck pretty harsh riding.

As far as adding air bags, uhhhh, what could be easier then adding a few pounds/taking out a few pounds of air. Of course you can double their cost by installing a wireless automatic system. Air bags will 'work' throughout the rear suspension's travel range from unloaded to fully loaded and level your combined rig. Measure your unhitched height at the bumper then hook up the 5er and remeasure, adding enough air to relevel. I run ~10 pounds unloaded and 25 loaded as my truck barely droops when hooked to our 5er. The air bags, I will say improve handling both hitched and without the 5er attached. Leaks? If the tubing ends are cut nice and square - well let's say that I left 10 pounds of air in mine when the trailer was put to 'bed' last November and still had 10 when I had some maintenance done in March when they needed to be dumped for the truck to be put on a frame lift.

Then most F150's should not haul most 5th wheels as they seldom have the OEM GVW ratings, brakes or cooling systems.

Disclaimer - this is my opinion with Timbrens as well as Stable Loads which weren't mentioned. Air bags and add a leafs are from my experience
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
My trailer only weighs 5400 lbs (dry). Well within the capacity of the truck. And with the current suspension set up, it pretty much just levels the truck out. I just don't want the rear to sag after I install the front leveling kit.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Originally Posted by Regannielsen View Post
My trailer only weighs 5400 lbs (dry). Well within the capacity of the truck. And with the current suspension set up, it pretty much just levels the truck out. I just don't want the rear to sag after I install the front leveling kit.
If you are looking to eliminate the sag air bags would be the way to go. We have had great success with our AirCell, which is similar to Timbren's, but you will still experience some sag until the bump stop comes in contact with the axle. Air bags will allow you to return the truck to level with a few pounds of air.

Here is a link to the kits we offer for your truck https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehic...wheel-drive/#l

We are also running a $50 mail-in rebate right now, let me know if you have any questions! Jeremy
Air Lift Company
(800) 248-0892
Air Lift Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
Timbrens, yes or no?

I decided to go with the 5000 pound air bags and couldn't be happier. I had to go with the Airlift 5000 pound bags due to my fifth wheel. And I forgot to send in my rebate form but I love the product and will definitely be putting them on my next truck.