Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post

Looking at the Michelin MTX M/S2's I see several kinds. What are the differences?
LTX M/S2 comes in P series (for cars and half-ton pickups), LT series load range C for a tiny bit heavier duty pickups, and LT series load range E for much heavier duty pickups.

123/120R Cost more and carries more. Is this the Load Range E? Black side wall?
The sidewall will be described in the description of the tire, usually as BSW (black sidewall), OWL (outline white letters), or OBL (outline black letters).

"Load range" is now obsolete, replaced by Service Description, which is made up of a code for weight capacity and a code for speed rating. 123/120 is the code for weight capacity when mounted single/dual, so 123 when mounted on single wheels, and 120 when mounted on dual rear wheels (DRW). R is the speed rating. Go to www.tirerack.com and look up tire technical info and you'll find the tire load index tables and the speed rating/symbols. 120 = 3085 pounds. 123 = 3415 pounds. R = 106 MPH.

114T Not sure what this one is. Has lower weight rating?
Probably a P-series tire. 114 tire load index = 2600 or 2640 pounds max weight capacity at the max PSI on the sidewall (probably 44 PSI). T speed symbol = 118 MPH max speed. Yes, the P-Series tires are lighter weight than the LT tires, and the smaller the tire load index number, the less the tire should weigh.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #16

Thank you for clearing that up. The ones I need are the 123/120 then.

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel 4X4 with Roadmaster Active Suspension, F350 1 3/16" rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks & steering damper.
2012 Sprinter 311BHS
jbenoit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like Michelins are the popular way to go. Has anyone tried the A/T2's?

I am on my 2nd set on my liberty. Very pleased with them.
WIT# 34347
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Been TRYING to wear out my Michelins. Bought the truck used with them already on it. I have new tires off my last truck with only 2,000-3,000 miles on them. Identical load range and size tires. Problem is that the Michelins are from 06 and 1 is from 05! Dry rot cracks on all 4 and they got worse on the last trip towing the camper. I don't want to just toss them as they have plenty of tread left, and every mile I use them is less wear on the new tires. Darn Micelins WON'T wear out! I do not want to tow far with the dry rot cracks anymore.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Texas Boomers Club
Running Michelin LTX AT2 on my F250. Had them on my Excursion and moved them to the 250 before selling Excursion. Now over 65000 miles on them. Great traction and performance. Nearing the end of their life. Looking at replacing with another set soon.
Ron & Ellen Norton
2016 Grand Design Reflection pulled by 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins
TexasPSDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
Sorry for the long delay but I wanted to let you all know I finally got the Michelins as recommended. So far they have been great. Bought at SAMS and got the instant $70 off. Towed in the rain without any issues. Ride is smooth and quiet.

Thank you for all of the responses and advice.

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel 4X4 with Roadmaster Active Suspension, F350 1 3/16" rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks & steering damper.
2012 Sprinter 311BHS
jbenoit28 is offline   Reply With Quote