Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Cool Tire Advice LT vs P

i know the best recommendation is to have LT tires when towing. I bought a new truck and it came with P tires (P265/60 R18). It tows well, but then i have not hit the winds of the Texas Panhandle or Kansas.

Questions:
1) Am I okay for now, but should switch to LT when these wear out.

2) Or must I switch now or regret it later.

3) If I switch, can I do just rear at first? Then front later?

Any other words of wisdom, or cantankerous quips welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What I have done in the past if my truck came with P tires, I drove to my tire shop and had them put LT's on. They have always gave me a good deal on the tires, plus
took the P tires in on trade . Diff was maybe $25 a tire

Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

One big problem with 18" LT tires is they come in E load range at 80 psi. I doubt your wheels are rated for those pressures so that means operating them at a reduced pressure.
The 18" LT E is a very heavy tire at 55+ lbs. That create parasitic drag on the small gas engine.

I've tried the LT E on a couple of 1/2 ton trucks over the years and always went back to the P or a LT C if it was available.

I would pump the P tires to the max sidewall pressure for max sidewall stiffness and make the trip.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #4

I agree about keeping your current configuration. You'll probably be okay pulling the trailer you've got.

If your truck was meant to haul larger loads, it'd have come with LT (E) tires and your truck would have been a 3/4 ton.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjay View Post
What I have done in the past if my truck came with P tires, I drove to my tire shop and had them put LT's on. They have always gave me a good deal on the tires, plus
took the P tires in on trade . Diff was maybe $25 a tire
Great idea....!!! But, after reading some of these posts, maybe i just want to stick with what I got. Truck is rated in my configuration at 9500# tow capacity.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
One big problem with 18" LT tires is they come in E load range at 80 psi. I doubt your wheels are rated for those pressures so that means operating them at a reduced pressure.
The 18" LT E is a very heavy tire at 55+ lbs. That create parasitic drag on the small gas engine.

I've tried the LT E on a couple of 1/2 ton trucks over the years and always went back to the P or a LT C if it was available.

I would pump the P tires to the max sidewall pressure for max sidewall stiffness and make the trip.
Don't call my V-8 gasser small . Ha.. I had a GMC 2500 Duramax for a few years, but did not want that much truck for a daily ride. That was when I was pulling a fifer with almost 2000# pin weight. Been there done that. My all aluminum frame ultralight is a much easer bumper pull. Trailer technology has improved each year.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
i know the best recommendation is to have LT tires when towing.
No, you don't know that. It's not true. Depending on the weight on the tire, P-Series are perfectly adequate for towing a small TT. If you don't overload your truck over the GVWR of the truck, then you don't need more tire weight capacity than the stock tires.

Quote:
I bought a new truck and it came with P tires (P265/60 R18). It tows well, but then i have not hit the winds of the Texas Panhandle or Kansas.
I have, and no problems whatsoever.

Quote:
Questions:
1) Am I okay for now, but should switch to LT when these wear out.
You're fine if you don't overload your F-150 over the GVWR of the truck. I've towed thousands of miles with P265/60R18 tires with no tire problems. And for a few thousand of those miles I was overloaded by 100 pounds over the GVWR of the truck.

Quote:
2) Or must I switch now or regret it later.
I wouldn't switch at all unless the CAT scale ticket shows that you are overloaded over the GVWR of your truck. Even then, I probably wouldn't switch unless the CAT scale showed I was overloaded over the weight capacity of the rear tires. I've towed for 350 miles severely-overloaded by 880 pounds over the GVWR of my F-150. Rear tires were overloaded by 69 pounds each over the max weight capacity of the tires. No problems at all with the tires inflated to 44 psi cold.

Note that nobody makes an LT tire in size LT265/60R18. You have to go up to LT265/65R18. Then if you mount load range C tires you will have less tire weight capacity @ 50 PSI than your stock P-Series tires @ 44 PSI. So you have to go with those heavy load range E tires to gain any increased weight capacity.

Then your wheels are probably not rated for the weight capacity of the LT load range E tires. So you'll need to invest in new wheels as well as the LT tires.

Quote:
3) If I switch, can I do just rear at first? Then front later?
No. All tire and vehicle manufacturers say all 4 tires on the ground should be the same type.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
No, you don't know that. It's not true. Depending on the weight on the tire, P-Series are perfectly adequate for towing a small TT. If you don't overload your truck over the GVWR of the truck, then you don't need more tire weight capacity than the stock tires.

I have, and no problems whatsoever.

You're fine if you don't overload your F-150 over the GVWR of the truck. I've towed thousands of miles with P265/60R18 tires with no tire problems. And for a few thousand of those miles I was overloaded by 100 pounds over the GVWR of the truck.

I wouldn't switch at all unless the CAT scale ticket shows that you are overloaded over the GVWR of your truck. Even then, I probably wouldn't switch unless the CAT scale showed I was overloaded over the weight capacity of the rear tires. I've towed for 350 miles severely-overloaded by 880 pounds over the GVWR of my F-150. Rear tires were overloaded by 69 pounds each over the max weight capacity of the tires. No problems at all with the tires inflated to 44 psi cold.

Note that nobody makes an LT tire in size LT265/60R18. You have to go up to LT265/65R18. Then if you mount load range C tires you will have less tire weight capacity @ 50 PSI than your stock P-Series tires @ 44 PSI. So you have to go with those heavy load range E tires to gain any increased weight capacity.

Then your wheels are probably not rated for the weight capacity of the LT load range E tires. So you'll need to invest in new wheels as well as the LT tires.

No. All tire and vehicle manufacturers say all 4 tires on the ground should be the same type.
Thanks for the solid information. I am sticking to my P tires. That is my final answer.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I just changed from P tires to LTs... and I don't get pushed around by trucks and buses anymore. However, the truck that came with those LT tires may have some to do with that...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

I always towed with LTs on 1/2 tons. Load rating C is much better then the car tires on trucks these days. I have seen to many damaged truck fenders caused by rear tire blowouts.
With a Ranger while equipped with P tires I noticed the tires had turned on the rim after an emergency braking situation. Well my last trip with that truck and on to a truck with LT tires.
Our nephew with his new GM went for a trip in a wood road and had to walk home after blowing 2 tires while only having one spares. The trucks are sold for street use and way to heavy for the P tires they are sold with. Much less loading them with pin weight.
So install Load C tires for towing.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #11

I switched from P to LT when I got rid of the F150 and got a Ram 2500. Much better towing experience.

Tags
advice