Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Tire Expert Needed

I need to pick someone's brain about tires. My travel trailer weighs 9200 lbs loaded, with 8200 lbs on the axles. (Flying J CAT scale) It came with 225/75R/15 8 ply load range D tires which gave me a lot of trouble (Marathons). Two years ago I switched to another brand (Denman), same size, but upped them to load range E (10 ply). For two years they worked flawlessly and I had finally settled back into my comfort zone while traveling. On my last 3000 mile trip, I had tread ply separations in three of these 10 ply tires, one of which blew tearing up a wheelwell. The tires have always been run at 80 psi, parked up off the ground, and covered. Alignment is not an issue.

I'm now at a complete loss as to what is causing this. The load range D tires should have carried 10,000 lbs and the 10 ply should have carried 11,000 lbs, so with 8200 lbs on the axles, I'm way over on load carrying capacity.

I special ordered this trailer with shock absorbers on all four wheels. I'm suspicious that they may be too stiff and not dampening the usual interstate bumps and pot holes and that maybe the tire is absorbing all the shock, causing the problem.

Before you recommend going to a 16" LT tire (I have room) keep in mind that the only thing they are going to give me is increased carrying capacity, and I have all of that that I need.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you driving a tad over the speed rating of the tires?

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
What does Denman Tire say? I saw in their website catalog that their tires are warranted for 60 months.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

First problem, the tires are only rated for 65 MPH.
Second problem, they are ST tires!
To really cure the problem you need to go to a quality LT rated tire in 16 inch size and be done with it!
Almost all of the ST rated tires are/were made in China. There tons of threads and posts on the subject. None of them positive except to say that they are positive that you will have problems, and positive the repairs will be expensive when they do blow.
Switching to a 16 inch wheel will allow you to buy tires almost anywhere in the US, Canada or Mexico. You will be able to shop for the best price on a quality tire, and that price will guaranteed be a lot less than any ST tire you put under the trailer.
One last thought/question. What is/was the date code on the tires that you are now having problems with? My guess when you bought them they may have been old stock.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

My interstate travel speed is 60-65. Never exceed 65 mph. The tires are dated the 27th week in 2007. I bought them in August 2007. That makes them pretty new. I wrote Denman directly before I went back to my tire dealer as I am asking for reimbursement of my insurance deductible. My dealer looked at the tires and said he would warranty them with out any trouble, but I'm not sure I want the same tire back. Waiting to hear from Denman.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Did you actually have a certified tire tech inspect the tires? I'd like to know his thoughts as to the cause of the thread seperations.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #7

My tire dealer (independent,not a franchised store) has been in the business for 20 years and knows his tires backwards and forwards. He just shakes his head when I show him the tires. He says he has people hauling bulldozers around on those same tires without any problem. No word from Denman yet.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Are all four dated the exact same? If so it could be as simple as a quality control issue that week.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #9

Yes, all four tires are dated the 27th week of 2007 and I purchased them in August 2007. Strange that they went for 2 years and maybe 10,000 miles before they started coming apart.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
For three of four to come apart at the same time means that either a common weak link in the tires reared it's head or something changed on your rig, and unless you suddenly doubled your weight or started getting really violent with curbs (Which I doubt.) I'm going to lean towards an internal flaw.

The only outside possibility I can see would be running over something in the road, but to damage three of four would be very unlikely.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
First problem, the tires are only rated for 65 MPH.
Second problem, they are ST tires!
To really cure the problem you need to go to a quality LT rated tire in 16 inch size and be done with it!
Almost all of the ST rated tires are/were made in China. There tons of threads and posts on the subject. None of them positive except to say that they are positive that you will have problems, and positive the repairs will be expensive when they do blow.
Switching to a 16 inch wheel will allow you to buy tires almost anywhere in the US, Canada or Mexico. You will be able to shop for the best price on a quality tire, and that price will guaranteed be a lot less than any ST tire you put under the trailer.
I did exactally this. The 16" tires have been on for about 2 years. It cost a bit but my dealer purchased the old 15" rims from me. These tires hardly get warm at highway speeds. Anything I was ever told about using LT tires on a trailer, just wasn't true. If I purchase a new trailer, the 16" tires will be a necessary transfer to the new trailer. I'm using 225 -16 tires and replaced 225-15 tires.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

So, you actually have more than 10,000 miles on them. The normal life expectancy for the ST tire is 3-5 years for age. And 5-12,000 miles for usage. Some newer ST tires boast of a 22,000 mile usage range.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote