Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Tire Pressures running High

In my tow rig I normally run 75 rear and 45 front on e rated GY's fully loaded and pulling my 8400lb TT (80lbs)and the tire temps rise about 11 lbs. This passed week I thought I try what the tire and vehicle manufacture suggested and raised my pressures to 80 rear and 50 front. Keep in mine I use a TPM and I set my alarms to 20% for high and 10% for low temps. The out side air temp was 75 and the tire temps around a 100 and my rear pressures were setting of the alarms(97) first sun side then shaded. The fronts climbed up beyond the 60lbs.
It seams my tires run cooler at the lesser air pressure even in warmer temp.
Has anyone ever notice this in there rig? Or was it just a bad tow day! TT tire ran great.
The highest the rears reached was 99. Sorry solo driver wasn't able to write down just recall.
I wonder if the tires getting old could do this! I'll take a look at their dates and I'm going to go back to 45/75
Thanks for list or reading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Boyles Ideal Gas Law rules the expansion rate of all gasses. The only variable that causes abnormal pressure fluctuations is moisture content of the air inside the tire.
If the compressor used to add air to tires does not remove moisture (special filter) from the air before it exits the storage tank, it's adding moisture-laden air to the tire.

You stated your tires run cooler with less pressure, what are your temperature readings?
This will help to understand my feeble attempt at explaining: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Ray for a moment I thought water in air compressor also but, I have a dryer on my system so it won't mess up my plasma cutter. I have some recorded running temps. out in truck will post tomorrow.
I did have a 4 wheel alignment after I replaced all ball joints and tie rod ends and they were adjusting air pressures and I just fine tuned the pressures when I towed trailer.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #4

He says tire temps rise about 11lbs--this doesn't equate. Temps in degrees/psi in lbs.
I will bet he doesn't have temp measurements, only psi.
45lbs on an E-rated tire doesn't sound right for towing--I would have 65-70 in them.
Can't reason out why psi is higher at lower tire pressures, but I would routinely run more in front due to weight of engine--or at least equal at both ends.

guestpacer--can you record both temps and pressure?

"It seams my tires run cooler at the lesser air pressure even in warmer temp." Have not seen this in many years of towing using presure/temp monitors.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

It's normal for some tires to increase in pressure by 15PSI, I seen this many times towing heavy trailers.

The OP states his pressures don't rise as much with less pressure, and this is not what you would expect.

With equal trailer weights, you would expect a tire lower in air pressure to run higher in temperature due to side wall flexing and surface friction as the tire rolls across the road.

In normal practice you should expect that same tire to run cooler and rise less in pressure at that same load.

Running a tire lower than the rating calls for in max cold pressure will decrease it's life span and run warmer than normally expected.

Are we confused yet???

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #6

I know this is going against all rules with the pressures I'm getting. I'm taking off Sunday and I'll reset pressures and my highs at 20% over and lows at 10%. I'll see if I call get the TV's tires warmed up. Short trip with a lot of rolling hills.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #7

My experience has been while driving the lower cold pressure tires usually catch up in pressure to the ones that were at higher pressure when cold.
In order to do that they need to raise the temperature of the air inside the tire.
No need for a temperature gauge, though my TPS has the temperature indication.
I use full side wall indicated pressures and still have outside edge wear.
No need to reduce pressure as it only expose the tires to added heat that will eventually cause premature tire failure, or wear.

A big plus is that the higher trailer tire pressures are easier on fuel and better for the TV wear and tear.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

What truck are you only running 45psi in the front??????
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
What truck are you only running 45psi in the front??????
My 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd Diesel
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
My 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd Diesel
I would highly advise running 65 at all times front. I ran 72 in the front of my 98 RAM 4X4 2500 ALL the time and 40 solo rear and 80 loaded. I would easily get 100K out of a set of Michelin or BFG 3rd gen factory takeoffs.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #11

Since ST tire manufacturers recommend running sidewall stated air pressure, I think it's foolish to do otherwise. Carlisle tire even states their warranty is voided if less than sidewall pressure is used.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Hey everyone got back a couple day ago and wanted to get back to you about my pressures. Turns out there's a 3 lbs. difference between my tire pressure gauge and my TPMS. I readjusted my tire monitor for it and all was well on this outing. Since this is on all eight tires I will verify if it's the 20 year old race gauge first. It may be time.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

A 3psi difference in readings isn't going to make much difference--its the trending of the pressures across all tires that need to be watched.
Having a tire pressured to max sidewall psi when cool should not result in a problem with increasing pressure from heat--it is designed to handle that increase.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #14

I understand that the tires can take it but when setting my high pressure alarm on my TP monitor that two or three pounds does matter in percentages. When your high pressure keeps trying to go off its annoying and All good now

Tags
tire pressure