Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

I have been struggling with a tire size change decision.A little history and info. I have 91 prowler265n fifth wheel and weighs around 7000lbs.I am using 99 ram 2500 5.9L gas powered 4;10 rears to pull it.This seems to work just fine it has maybe 6-7"bed rail clearance.I was recently outjust got back from Knoebels in pa.(very hilly area) I had one occasion where the bed rails and bottom of trailer were so close I cringed.No damage but wow very close. Anyway I mention the hills because my truck has 285/75/16 tires on it and i think it may have come stock with th245/75 on it.I am wondering if towing power milage and general performance would omprove with 245 tires with the added benefit of addotional 1" of bed rail clearance. I have only had this since January and have had no real trouble but wouldn't mind more power and would really like more clearance before I smash top of truck. I can't tell yyou all how many hours I have poured over this forum before making purchase and then finally registering on board. I would appreciate any input from those of you with experience in these matters.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #2

I have been struggling with a tire size change decision.A little history and info. I have 91 prowler265n fifth wheel and weighs around 7000lbs.I am using 99 ram 2500 5.9L gas powered 4;10 rears to pull it.This seems to work just fine it has maybe 6-7"bed rail clearance.I was recently outjust got back from Knoebels in pa.(very hilly area) I had one occasion where the bed rails and bottom of trailer were so close I cringed.No damage but wow very close. Anyway I mention the hills because my truck has 285/75/16 tires on it and i think it may have come stock with th245/75 on it.I am wondering if towing power milage and general performance would omprove with 245 tires with the added benefit of addotional 1" of bed rail clearance. I have only had this since January and have had no real trouble but wouldn't mind more power and would really like more clearance before I smash top of truck. I can't tell yyou all how many hours I have poured over this forum before making purchase and then finally registering on board. I would appreciate any input from those of you with experience in these matters.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're not sure of your original tire size, check your GVWR/GAWR sticker in the driver's door pillar area. If you go smaller, watch your load range and tire load rating to make sure you don't exceed the tire's load capacity.

Having said that, the 245 will effectively make the final drive ratio lower (numerically higher) relative to your current 285 tire. This will improve towing performance and help your bed rail clearance (with appropriate hitch/pin box adjustments). Fuel mileage effects should be negligable after odometer correction is taken into account.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #4

thank you
I was pretty sure that was how that worked but a little confirmatation sure make me feel better about replacing tires with smaller ones.I measured the 285's and they are 32" tall I measured the 245"s and they are 29" tall. 3" inches should make quite a difference in low end torque I would think.Ichecked the door sticker and it says 245 E rated tires also checked owners manual and it says 245 as minimum size for it.I thought that was strange they printed a minimum but no max size. so if I figure right that will make my truck 1.5" lower and it just so happens the 15k reese hitch adjustment holes are exactly that far apart. Woo hoo this should be pretty easy to do and should have all kinds of pull to it. Worry the truck will look funny with the little tires but figure it would look lots worse with smashed bed rails. thanks again.Some one on here helped me out before with umbilical cable and another inverter question. Great having input from folks out there encountering the same kinds of issues really shortens the learning curve.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #5

This tire size calculator will remove the guess-work from your decision. To determine the gearing difference, this gearing calculator is really neat. Click the calculator button at top right of page and enter your data.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote