Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The more time I have to enjoy the scenery, if I can, the better, I say!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
For the thrill of a lifetime get behind a Geezer
Whadidjew call me. I'm an old country boy from the SE and tow my rig in the right lane at a respectable 62 mph. Anybody behind me wanting to go faster have can do one of two things. One, go around me and the other is kiss my azz.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #45

Somehow I knew this thread would get away from the Original Post,,, about TIRES..... (to which I am very interested in) ....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #46

Not just tires. But tires to go fast.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Feed your tires some Red Bull. They would have wings.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #48

Question

Just curious. What does it cost to get your RV weighted at a truck stop.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis F View Post
Just curious. What does it cost to get your RV weighted at a truck stop.
It cost us $10 here in Delaware.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #50

Generally, less that $10 or thereabouts. It can be a little daunting running around a busy truckstop, but it works very well. Also, if you want to get more than one weight--say, by taking the pin weight off the truck using the legs, if you position it correctly, it can be done without dropping the trailer. A second weighing without getting off the scales is usually only about $2-3 more.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Some jurisdictions leave the scale on when it is not manned. Would not hurt to cruise through and take a look. We have a scale near us that was installed purely for the trucks to check their weights. It does not have a scale house and is not manned.

I have found that if a scale is manned they will sometimes weigh you if you talk to them. Only thing is they might stop you if you are overweight.

I would give the DOT in your area a call to see what their policy is. They may refer you to a CAT scale. If you talk to them I would stress that you want to do it right and any help they would provide to do it properly would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #52

Can not emphasize enough to take a dry run or a run just to weigh the truck. I had my 5th wheel attached. Got weighed and turned the wrong way when pulling off the scales. I had semi-trucks coming at me. Had to think fast to get out of their way. Also you might need a golf club shaped stick to reach the up high to press the 'call' button.

At a Love's truck stop it cost $12.

I would recommend going on a Sunday morning when the truck stop would be less busy.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #53

Tires: Driving 70 - 75 MPH - LT or ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
Do the math your only gaining minutes for the increase in speed by 10 or 15 mph over the posted IMO. A smooth and steady pace will get you there almost as fast.

More than minutes unless you're traveling a short distance. I towed my 5th wheel from east of Nashville to the Houston area in June. 14 1/2 hours door to door. I had planned to stop on the return leg but kept driving as I felt fine and safe. I'm used to sitting for hours so it wasn't a big deal. 10 mph difference made up 140 miles so almost two hours. Truckers drive the speed limit and are bigger than most 5th wheel and truck combination. If you have the right set up there's no reason not to drive the speed limit unless you just prefer slower which is fine also if one is more comfortable.

I prefer the Michelin XPS RIBS. Great tire and I tow the speed limit as long as traffic and conditions permit. I'm close to purchasing a new toy hauler so may keep the OEM tires a few months or year at the most. Then I'll put the XPS RIBS on again.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #54

[QUOTE=guy.lawless;2696755]I've read a ton of information on this forum and others about LT vs ST tires and would like to know which would be better for my application.

To preface this conversation, I'm not asking for a war between LT or ST tires. I'm also not asking for a debate on traveling faster than 65 MPH.

What I'm asking is this: I've recently purchased a new trailer with Trailer King (possibly a Tow Max re-brand?) tires. The dealer admitted that one had already blown on the way from delivery from the factory and I'm looking to upgrade.

Currently on the trailer are ST225/75R15D tires. While I typically travel around 65 MPH my goal with this is to be able to safely travel with the flow of traffic -- a max of 72 - 75 or so.

As I understand it, I have two options:
  • Use LT tires, upgraded to have the same capacity rating.
  • Use Load Range E ST tires with an extra 10 PSI.

The drawback with the LT tires, as I understand, is that they are not made to take the lateral force of maneuvering, the load rating isn't as high, and they run hotter.

With the ST tires, I've read that you can safely travel up to 10 MPH over rating (from 65 MPH to 75 MPH) by inflating each tire an extra 10 PSI. In other words, my existing tires are load range D (65 PSI), I'd upgrade to E (80 PSI max) and run them at 75 PSI.

I'm leaning toward the Maxxis ST ST225/75R15E and inflating to 75 PSI but before I do I wanted to ask the question here. I don't necessarily trust the average tire shop to know the ins-and-outs of running each type of tire on a travel trailer.

Thank you all in advance.[/QUOTE

You had to ask!
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #55

Too many are running the LTs for the 'can't take lateral force of manuevering' argument;
same for the 'run hotter.'
Maxxis is a good tire and upgrading to LR E ought to be just fine--if the wheels are rated for 80psi.
Lots of discussions on the situation you are asking about--I say, go for the Maxxis Es if the wheel is rated for the pressure. I would also run them at the 80psi, at least no lower than the 75 you mention. Getting and using a IR temp gun would be a good item to keep track of the tire temps--or better, get a TPMS on the tires.
Peace of mind concerning trailer tires is priceless....
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #56

Quote:
With the ST tires, I've read that you can safely travel up to 10 MPH over rating (from 65 MPH to 75 MPH) by inflating each tire an extra 10 PSI. In other words, my existing tires are load range D (65 PSI), I'd upgrade to E (80 PSI max) and run them at 75 PSI.
See #14 reply about the psi increase for a ST tire.

Read rvtiresafety.com in the clicky in my reply. Roger being a tire engineer separates rv website myth from facts.

Also read this RV.Net Open Roads Forum: U.S. Federal Testing Standards for ST and LT Tires from a rv website member SeniorGNC who has taken all the ST vs LT tire testing per the FMVSS and his findings.
Pay attention to the testing for each tire is comprised of (1) bead unseating resistance, (2) strength, (3) endurance, and (4) high speed performance.

These tests and conclusions debunk a lot of internet myth on ST vs LT differences.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires