Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #57

Great info JIMNLIN... Thanks for posting that !

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #58

Tires: Driving 70 - 75 MPH - LT or ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
I see you are in TN. I'll make sure I'm not in the area when you are traveling at 70+ mph. Pulling 6+ tons of vehicle. Why would you need to travel that fast? I know you didn't want a fight over speed of tires, but I don't understand why someone wants to travel that fast. JMHO of over 50 years driving and almost that long pulling something.

Why would you not want to drive 70 mph? Now, when I retire maybe I'll have more time but if traveling a 1000 miles or so I want to get there. Semis drive the speed limit, doesn't seem to be an issue for them. Of course tow vehicle, driving conditions, tire rating, experience should always be a factor. If you have the correct tow vehicle and tires, driving the speed limit shouldn't be an issue. I tow the speed limit, if it's 70 I drive 70. My vote is for the XPS RIBS, I had no issues with them and they never ran hot, typically about 10 degrees above OAT.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #59

I will never, never again install an ST tire on my trailer. Past experience was trouble until I replaced STs with LTs on our previous unit.
They were size 225/75/15. I installed 235/75/15 LR C, with 600 lbs less capacity and aired them to 60 lbs and never had any failures for 7 years and traded unit with the 7 year old LTs with at least 60k trouble free milles and plenty of threads left.
ST tires are designed to be easy to roll with much less rubber on the thread. Anything on the road will cut them, while LTs with better threads will get cuts that don't reach the casing and will survive mush better in tandum application.
I have 15in LTs on my delivery trailer with single axle and I never carry a spare. Last trip was 600 miles return.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #60

Tires: Driving 70 - 75 MPH - LT or ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I will never, never again install an ST tire on my trailer. Past experience was trouble until I replaced STs with LTs on our previous unit.
They were size 225/75/15. I installed 235/75/15 with 600 lbs less capacity and aired thgem to 60 lbs and never had any failures for 7 years and traded unit with the 7 year LTs with at least 60k trouble free milles and plenty of threads left.
ST tires are designed to be easy to roll with much less rubber on the thread. Anything on the road will cut them, while LTs with better threads will get cuts that don't reach the casing and will survive mush better in tandum application.
I have 15in LTs on my delivery trailer with single axle and I never carry a spare. Last trip was 600 miles return.

Exactly, I've never head anyone that switched to an LT tire go back to an an ST and every single person that complains about RV tires seems to use an ST tire. There seems to be a trend and the trend is that ST tires that come on these trailers suck.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #61

How can you argue against the use of ST tires based on the facts in this video by an industry expert? Interested in hearing factual responses.
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #62

New tariff regulations for “off shore” Special Trailer (ST) tires are now required to put a speed rating on the tire sidewall or lose their tariff discount - so to speak. So, we (USA) are already getting tires from over there with speed letters on them. The TRA has approved them to 81 MPH and some have already showing-up with 87 MPH letters.

The major disadvantage of switching to LT tires is going to be the loss of the manufacturer’s warranty. None of the major LT tire manufacturers will warranty their LT tires if they know they are being used to replace OE ST tires. Some LT tires (GY - Kumho) provide LT tires for trailer service. Michelin is once again touting the XPS rib as a utility trailer tire. You should call or email them about warranty coverage for RV trailer service and replacements for ST tires. The smallest diameter is 29.4” for the LT225/75R16E.

Their speed rating is 75 MPH.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #63

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was surprised to see in print that Keystone even referenced an LT tire as a replacement for the 5'er Toyhauler. Wasn't looking for that information as I replaced the E with an F load range earlier this spring. Had I saw that, may have re considered the LT. After our Alaska trip next year we will see how they hold up on the rough roads. Should be the ultimate test.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #64

Quote:
How can you argue against the use of ST tires based on the facts in this video by an industry expert? Interested in hearing factual responses.
That was about the funniest misrepresentation of facts I've ever read on the net about LT vs ST . Just about what you would expect from a parts mgr.
Thanks for posting as we all need a good laugh some times.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #65

[QUOTE=Onstar20;2729420]How can you argue against the use of ST tires based on the facts in this video by an industry expert? Interested in hearing factual responses.

Finally some useful tire info.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #66

Just looked at new Airstream trailers. (Happen to be across the street from my location so I was just looking)

Some of their units had Michilen LTX M/S 2 tires. Those are LT tires.

Bought these tire for our SUV. They were great 65,000 miles tires!!!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #67

Quote:
The major disadvantage of switching to LT tires is going to be the loss of the manufacturer’s warranty. None of the major LT tire manufacturers will warranty their LT tires if they know they are being used to replace OE ST tires.
Michelin response;

Posted: 12/14/12 12:14am
I sent an email to Michelin for a response regarding using Michelin XPS ribs on my 5th wheel. Here is the question and their response:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

Answer..---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at www.michelin.com/warranty/. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at Groupe Michelin : actualité du leader des pneumatiques & de la mobilité | Michelin. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute.*

Now if the question was asked a different way like FastEagle pushes .......does Michelin have a direct replacement for a ST235/80-16 E at 3500 lbs capacity then of course Michelin would have to say the LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs isn't a good selection and of course their will be no warranty.

So load the question and get the answer your looking for ......... Michelin and other LT tire makers will still give a full warranty for the LT tires they recommend for trailer service.

.................................................. .................................

Quote:
Michelin is once again touting the XPS rib as a utility trailer tire.
FastEagle has had a years long campaign against Michelin and especially the commercial grade all steel ply carcass XPS Rib tire;
A utility trailer is a long way from a commercial service trailer with 4/6 or 8 LT235/85-16 E tires under it
From Michelin;
12/05/2013

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michelin ran a add for years that recommended using the XPS Ribs LT tires for commercial trailer service. I don't see the add any more on Michelins website. My question is does Michelin still recommend the XPS Ribs for commercial trailer service.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the contact and for considering Michelin for your replacement tires for your Trailer

Michelin does still recommend the XPS Rib for the commercial trailer service. The features and benefits are listed below:

XPS Rib: Tires offer long wear life with steel casing strength and retreadability.

* Tread compounds specifically developed for commercial applications help tires last longer so your business dollars go further.

* Added strength and ability to retread are just two advantages of steel casing - a feature that keeps trucks where they belong: on the job.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
Sincerely,
Barb C
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #68

JIMNLIN, you need to read my post #62.

Here is a copy of the warranty that applies to vehicles without mileage warranties. Read the section for “what is not covered”. If your trailer has OE tires that were described as ST tires on the tire placard there are zero LT Michelin 16” tires that have enough load capacity to equal or exceed the load capacity of the 16” ST tires.

The information found in FMVSS regulations only apply to vehicle manufacturers and only require minimum requirements to be met. Vehicle manufacturers are allowed to make their tire/wheel fitments in what they consider appropriate as long as they meet the minimum values outlined in the FMVSS..

It’s not and never has been about the brand, it’s what is acceptable. Owners have the right to set their own standards and take full responsibility for their decisions. There are many options available to stay in the acceptable safety range.

http://media.michelinman.com/content/dam/master/Michelin/pdf/Owners_Manual_Post_Promise_Plan.pdf
Old 09-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #69

Again...I am seeing some Michelin LT tires come on brand new Airstream trailers from the factory.

In this case I saw Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires on a new from the factory Airsteam Classic.

So for my money I am running the LT Michelin XPS Rib tires on my 6,000lb axle 5th wheel. Already done, sealed and delivered.

Not sure why anyone without a misguided interest argue against using the much better manufatured LT tire.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #70

Again...I am seeing some Michelin LT tires come on brand new Airstream trailers from the factory.

That's because they have the sole responsibility to make that fitment and they have determined that the tires are appropriate.

In this case I saw Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires on a new from the factor
Airsteam Classic.

So for my money I am running the LT Michelin XPS Rib tires on my 6,000lb axle 5th wheel. Already done, sealed and delivered.

Did you have ST tires from the factory? If so you gave up more than 400# of load capacity per tire. And, as I've said many times before, the vehicle manufacturer has set the tire load capacity with the OE tires. If you would read the Michelin warranty provided in my last post you will see that they will not - retailers are not supposed to - install replacement tires that do not comply with tire safety standards found in your trailer's owner's manual.

Not sure why anyone without a misguided interest argue against using the much better manufatured LT tire.

That's actually a personal point of view. IMO any of the steel carcass LT235/85R16G tires specifically designed for trailer axle service are more suited for that task and are have the best chance of getting the vehicle manufacturer's nod.

Tags
tires