Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Tires: Driving 70 - 75 MPH - LT or ST?

I've read a ton of information on this forum and others about LT vs ST tires and would like to know which would be better for my application.

To preface this conversation, I'm not asking for a war between LT or ST tires. I'm also not asking for a debate on traveling faster than 65 MPH.

What I'm asking is this: I've recently purchased a new trailer with Trailer King (possibly a Tow Max re-brand?) tires. The dealer admitted that one had already blown on the way from delivery from the factory and I'm looking to upgrade.

Currently on the trailer are ST225/75R15D tires. While I typically travel around 65 MPH my goal with this is to be able to safely travel with the flow of traffic -- a max of 72 - 75 or so.

As I understand it, I have two options:
  • Use LT tires, upgraded to have the same capacity rating.
  • Use Load Range E ST tires with an extra 10 PSI.

The drawback with the LT tires, as I understand, is that they are not made to take the lateral force of maneuvering, the load rating isn't as high, and they run hotter.

With the ST tires, I've read that you can safely travel up to 10 MPH over rating (from 65 MPH to 75 MPH) by inflating each tire an extra 10 PSI. In other words, my existing tires are load range D (65 PSI), I'd upgrade to E (80 PSI max) and run them at 75 PSI.

I'm leaning toward the Maxxis ST ST225/75R15E and inflating to 75 PSI but before I do I wanted to ask the question here. I don't necessarily trust the average tire shop to know the ins-and-outs of running each type of tire on a travel trailer.

Thank you all in advance.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Cedar Creek 38FL
guy.lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

I see you are in TN. I'll make sure I'm not in the area when you are traveling at 70+ mph. Pulling 6+ tons of vehicle. Why would you need to travel that fast? I know you didn't want a fight over speed of tires, but I don't understand why someone wants to travel that fast. JMHO of over 50 years driving and almost that long pulling something.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

I will side with the OP "Guy", in that it is a very good question... To the OP,, we have short vacations where we need to travel several thousand miles,,, thinking about a TT or 5th wheel,, and I also "at times" would like to run 70-75 mph.. (not always) Lets Please remember this thread is a question of tires,,, which I am interested in learning more about.. Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

I upgraded our travel trailer from E rated ST's to E rated LT's. Forget the paper specs - the LT's are a much sturdier, stronger tire from what I've seen. I swapped the wheels myself when changing the LT's, and the first thing I noticed is that the LT's are MUCH heavier. It's a beefier tire.

The other thing I noticed is that there is very little deflection in the tire where it meets the ground. Look at an ST tire and there's a pretty large 'bulge' at the ground (relatively speaking), and more deflection means more fatigue/stress on the tire. The LT carries the weight a lot easier. Look at an 18 wheeler's tires where they meet the ground. That's what the LT tires look like. The ST tires look like a passenger car tire.

Having said that, I did have to also buy 16 inch rims to get E rated LT's. I couldn't find any in 15 inch size.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I can tell you from experience even 'GOOD' ST tires will blow in the right conditions - I had one of them even take out a steel cross members !

So I would highly recommend going to LT tires if you are going to drive in the south in the summer... MANY new upper end 5'ers come with 16" LT tires now, and some with 17.5" tires...

SO, do you research (sounds like you have - good job!) and consider also getting a package deal to get the correct rims that can handle the extra load.

good luck and be ready for more "You shouldn't do it"
posts from the speed police (a sister cult of the weight police )
Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
I see you are in TN. I'll make sure I'm not in the area when you are traveling at 70+ mph. Pulling 6+ tons of vehicle. Why would you need to travel that fast? I know you didn't want a fight over speed of tires, but I don't understand why someone wants to travel that fast. JMHO of over 50 years driving and almost that long pulling something.
When the speed limit is 70-75mph and trucks are passing you constantly going 10-15mph faster than you, it is NOT safer to go slower.
Safest thing to do is move with the flow of traffic. Less passing. Less lane changes. Something you should have learned with 50 years of experience. JMHO.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
When the speed limit is 70-75mph and trucks are passing you constantly going 10-15mph faster than you, it is NOT safer to go slower.
Safest thing to do is move with the flow of traffic. Less passing. Less lane changes. Something you should have learned with 50 years of experience. JMHO.
Why is it not safe? If everybody stayed with the flow of traffic, everybody would be doing 85 mph trying to keep up with those who drive like that. Those staying withing the laws, tend to keep the flow of traffic at a more reasonable speed. NOT safe? I don't understand the rational behind this statement. Don't other drivers have eyes and can see that you are going slower? Don't they have brakes so they can slow down if necessary? Can't they pass you in the left lane if they don't want to slow down.

Now if you are only referring to single lane (each way) highways, then I seriously doubt if the speed limit will be 70 or 75.

Many states, including mine, have a 55 mph speed limit for any vehicle with three or more axles or pulling a trailer/car....so they (the truckers) shouldn't be doing 70 or 75 any way. My 50 years of driving experience tells me to stay within the laws that were designed for the safe travel of those using our highways.

For the OP, safety should be your first concern. If the mfg specifically states that their ST tire is only rated for 65, you should take that as fact. Just because "you read somewhere" that you can go 10mph over" should not be taken seriously unless it comes from the tire mfg itself.

I, personally, would stay within all speed ratings whether it be from the tire mfg or state laws and recommend you do too. If you disregard these ratings, I would go with a more safe tire that would be within the ratings.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

I would go with an E rated LT tire (may require new wheels) with the correct load rating and run them at max sidewall pressure. The LT tire will be rated for over 75mph hour and will hold up fine.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

Trailer Towing – ST Tires vs. LT Tires | RV 101® your education source for RV information

some good reading interstate 95 is constantly littered with, TT and 5ers with torn up sides and blow tires, most of them passed me at some ungodly speed (I travel at 65). The extra speed increases the strain on the tires and gear exponentially, the OP id not want to talk about speed but it needs to be mentioned that I would save 3 hours on y trip to florida from ontario by travelling 10 mph faster, hardly worth it on a 24 hour drive, definitely would loose that 3 hours if I have tire failure on coach or car hauler, never mind the dangers inherent dangers of excessive speed tire blowouts.

LT tires are made for trucks and SUV's, ST are made for trialer, get a good quality set of ST radials to hedge your bet.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

Guy,
I think the Maxxis is a good improvement over what you have--are the rims rated for 75-80psi? Also consider upsizing to 16" wheels/tires--check with
Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires for pricing and availability. They do this type changeout for many RVers.

Lanerd, "Now if you are only referring to single lane (each way) highways, then I seriously doubt if the speed limit will be 70 or 75." You just need to spend some time in Texas--lots of 2-lane roads with 75mph limits.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ST tires are speed rated for 65 max. Go faster at your own peril, and have plenty of insurance in case it's at the peril of others, too.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...erTireFacts.do
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post

TDI-Minnie ,
Very wise advice. These folks are the very reason so many people do not like Motorhomes on the Highways. These are the same drivers that proudly announce that their "sweet spot" is 53 7/8 MPH . Wether that are incompetent , timid or just plain afraid, the results are the same. They are creating a danger on the Highways. On the two lanes, they are the folks who selfishly have a line of vehicles behind them.
I am sure I will get blasted by the 53 7/8 group but if it raises awareness to be a bit more considerate of your non RV travelers it was worth it !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
The drawback with the LT tires, as I understand, is that they are not made to take the lateral force of maneuvering, the load rating isn't as high, and they run hotter.
Depends on exactly which LT tire. Be certain your LT tire, regardless of brand, is rated as a commercial truck tire for either trailer service or all-position. There are very few of those available. Most popular is the Michelin XPS. The XPS is available only in a few sizes for 16" wheels. Goodyear also makes one "all steel all position" truck tire in those same 16" sizes.

Tire Selector | Michelin XPS

Note that link is to the Michelin Truck website, not the Michelinman (car and pickup tires) website. The car and pickup website won't explain which tires are rated for steer, drive and trailer axles. Same thing for the Goodyear websites.

If your current wheels are 15", then you'll have to upgrade to 16"x6" wheels rated for the max PSI and weight the tire can haul.

Note that all other Michelin LT tires DO NOT qualify as an all-position tire. They are for steer or drive axles only, but not trailer axles. So my Michelin LTX tires on my pickup are great tires for a pickup, but they are not designed to also use on a trailer.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the Maxxis ST ST225/75R15E and inflating to 75 PSI but before I do I wanted to ask the question here. .
That's the tire I have on my cargo trailer, and on an open 16' utility trailer. Excellent service, and never a tire problem with those tires. But note that the stock wheels on my trailers were too narrow for those tires, so I had to buy 5new wheels to go along with the 5 new tires on each trailer. I ordered the new wheels from Southwest Wheel Company Steel and Aluminum Truck Wheels for around $40 per wheel.

But I don't agree with inflating the tire to only 75 PSI. The sidewall says 80 cold PSI max, so that's what I run them at. However, unlike most manufacturers, Maxxis publishes the tire load/inflation table for those tires, so if you're positive you'll never load the trailer with enough weight to require 80 PSI, then maybe you can get by with it.
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #14

You've posted some erroneous opinion on LT vs ST differences.

I'll just say if your looking for the best tire for long term service for 40k-60k miles and 7-10 years of service only the LT will give you that type of service.
The Michelin XPS Rib LT E at 2680 or 3042 lb capacity is the only 16" all steel ply carcass tire that carries a commercial trailer recommendation.
The Bridgestone R-250 is another all steel carcass commercial grade tire LT that comes in several sizes and load ranges. This tire also is recommended for trailer service.

At this time only Goodyear with their Marathon has recommended increasing 10 psi for traveling 75 mph. I would advise anyone to contact the tire maker and get their input before over pressuring any tire.

My pre owned 11200 lb trailer came with new Goodyear Marathon ST225/75-15 D at 2540 lbs, installed by my RV dealer. Having hauled commercially I will not use a ST tire on any type of trailer...so dropped by my equipment trailer mfg and bought 4 16" 6 lug wheels. Dropped them off at my local small town tire dealer and had BFG Commercial LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs capacity mounted. Ran that set for 7 years and 55k+ miles. Now I'm on the 2nd set with 47k miles. Zero issues at any speed.
Oh yeah...sold the 15" ST tires and wheels on CL to a lawn service guy who was just getting started with a old pipe top trailer.

This is one of the best websites for new folks to the trailering world that needs help with tire facts. RV Tire Safety.
Roger Marble is a actual tire engineer who knows and understand tire issues on our trailers vs some one with a blog like Mark Polk who knows little to nothing other than tire mfg hype when it comes to ST vs LT.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires