Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Tires for a C4500

I am going to need new tires for the C4500 GMC I just purchased. Can anyone give their advice on tire selection. I think the size is 245/70R19.5. I have been looking at Michelin XZE but I have no previous experience with this tire sizeCurrently the truck has 225/70R19.5 but I would like to put the larger 245's on. Does the additional 1.4" in diameter make any real difference or create interference issues

Abbeyroad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The larger size can effect the antilock brake function, the speedometer accuracy, traction control function(if you have it) and also transmission shifting just to name a few functions. The larger tire will also reduce your final drive ratio.
Now knowing all that, they do have hand held tuners that can recalitrate those functions for different tire sizes and gear ratios, but not change your final drive ratio caused by the larger diameter.
As far as which brand, it is like asking which truck is better, everyone has their favorite, just be careful about cheap off brands. Also if you are traveling, get a brand that would be widely available throughout the countey.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Abbeyroad2 View Post
Currently the truck has 225/70R19.5 but I would like to put the larger 245's on.

The stock-size tires have all the weight capacity you need unless you severely overload the truck.

Does the additional 1.4" in diameter make any real difference or create interference issues
Interference you can tell by looking at the current tires. If you have at least an inch of clearance all around now, then the taller/wider tires should not cause an interference problem.

The big difference is in tire revolutions per mile (revs/mile) because of the taller tires, and a slight decrease in MPG because of the additional aero and mechanical drag of the taller/wider tires. For Michelin XZE tires, 225s have 646 revs/mile. 245s have 617, or 4.1% difference. That means your speedometer, odometer, tripmeter, and effective rear axle ratio will all be different by 4.1%. Assuming your speedo is accurate now, it will be 4.1% slower with the taller tires. So an indicated 70 MPH will be an actual 72.87 MPH on Officer Bob's radar gun. 400 miles on a tank of fuel would be an actual 416.4 miles, so your hand-calculated MPG would not be very accurate. And if your truck is the fancy trim including a lie-o-meter that shows MPG, it will be even further off than it is now.

If you now cruise at 2,400 RPM, you would have to cruise at 2,301 RPM to make the same actual speed. Whether that matters depends on the HP and torque curves of your engine.

Michelin also makes the XRV tread in that size. The revs/mile difference is only 3.1%, so consider the Michelin XRV if you decide to move up to the 245s.

Personally, I've ran taller tires on my diesel tow vehicle, and didn't like the effects, even with a corrected speedo. So I now buy the best tires I can get in the stock size. That's usually a Michelin of some sort.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Check out the Sailun S637 and the S737 tires.

I see their very popular on trucking forums for MDT folks that are on the road hauling heavy loads for a living.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
I got 78000 out of the first set of Continentals (OEM) and now at 73000 on 2nd set. They have been good tires. Recently priced replacements at $284/tire.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote