Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Titan or Armada?

Now that we've finally bought our TT, we are looking at the Titan or Armada as the tow vehicle.

Both are almost identical in towing capacity but does the Titan have better suspension/shocks for towing? The Armada is great for towing as well so it's a toss-up.
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
Now that we've finally bought our TT, we are looking at the Titan or Armada as the tow vehicle.

Both are almost identical in towing capacity but does the Titan have better suspension/shocks for towing? The Armada is great for towing as well so it's a toss-up.
If I was to buy a 1/2 ton pick-up truck; I would either buy a Titan equipped with the Cummins diesel engine or the Ram Eco-Diesel truck 1500. End of story!!!!

Jim W.

P.S. I am leaning towards a 1 ton SRW Ram-Cummins equipped crew cab truck as my next tow vehicle.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Compare the payload rating on the Titan vs Armada.
Titan should be better, cheaper to buy, and you get cargo capacity for bikes, etc.
If it needs to be a Nissan, also look at the NV van. The heavy duty version nicely appointed, should be an even better price and more capable.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Compare the payload rating on the Titan vs Armada.
Titan should be better, cheaper to buy, and you get cargo capacity for bikes, etc.
If it needs to be a Nissan, also look at the NV van. The heavy duty version nicely appointed, should be an even better price and more capable.
This. With TTs it's all about payload not tow capacity.

And yes, the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins 5L diesel could be a really nice tow vehicle, but it will not be out until next Fall and the final specs are not available yet, in particular the price.

Unfortunately the RAM EcoDiesel usually has way too low a payload for towing most TTs.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

I pull a 27 footer with my Armada.... aside from the tv going into a lower gear more often than I like it never struggles. I have pulled my tt with it from jersey to wally world in florida and back without incident. looking forward to this spring...... just staying local until the grandchild is old enough to go to wally world. just cant bring myself to go there without her.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In the other thread you listed a trailer with a gross weight of 9000 pounds which will have a tongue weight of about 1200 pounds. Add a hundred for the hitch and that leaves you with about 700 pounds for people and gear before you are at absolute max. That is just too close to the edge in my opinion. And that is with the most capable Titan. Most will have even less cargo capacity. I would look at 3/4 ton trucks for a trailer that heavy that is also 32 feet long.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And to answer your question about suspension, they use the same leaf spring suspension that trucks have used since the model T. No special tricks there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

It's not a Nissan, but same difference...I towed my '14 Jayco 28BHBE with my wife's Infiniti QX56. I think the major difference between the Nissan and Infiniti is that the Infiniti has rear air suspension (airbags). Towing capacity is 8500 lbs, dry weight in trailer is 6100 lbs. I've towed from TX to FL; never went over 65 mph. It towed with no problems. Having said all that I upgraded my vehicle to a Ram 2500 with the diesel with how often we have started camping. I just didn't want to put the stress on our main family car anymore. But I think the vehicles you are looking at are more than capable!

Dan
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Let me go a completely different direction. While I do respect Nissan as a company and they've done a great job with the Altima, their recent performance in the truck and SUV market has been dismal.

Ford sells more F150's in a week than Nissan sells in a year. Nissan is trying to go from a 1% market penetration to a 5% market penetration with the new 2016 model 1/2 ton truck.

I would buy a more popular brand of truck or SUV. Not only does the competition have far superior technology in the motors, other brands are easier to sell used, and they're cheaper to run in the long run with better fuel mileage (than Nissan.) And you won't take a mortal beating on depreciation either.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #10

Since you are down here in the SE, I can recommend looking for a used, 2wd 2500 or 3500. I got my mega cab Ram diesel with only 28k miles, in the very low $30s.
Could not be happier. And with the way diesels retain value, I can sell it in a few years and walk away with a good hunk of cash.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

Be careful on an Armada. To get the 9200# tow capacity, you must have LE/SE or Platinum package. The SV only has a capacity of 6500#. I found this out the hard way. I HAD the Armada SV... RV salesman looked it up in his book, it said 9200#... Owners manual states 9200#... That wasn't enough for me, so I called Nissan and they confirmed 9200#.
Milling around on the Armada chat boards I come across the above warning. So I call Nissan back and didn't accept customer services answer and demand technical support. They confirmed all their literature and CS were incorrect and the actual tow capacity was 6500# (Good way to know is if it has cloth seats, it's 6500#).

I'd had enough of Nissan by then and went with a new Tundra.
kdhfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 AM   #12

the tag on the hitch says 9100 and the seats are leather....

besides I have been towing with it for two years so I know its handling it well.

but good looking out.... you may have helped someone out there....
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
the tag on the hitch says 9100 and the seats are leather....

besides I have been towing with it for two years so I know its handling it well.

but good looking out.... you may have helped someone out there....

Oops... You're correct... I should have stated 9100# not 9200#. My bad.
kdhfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

getting ready to pull my baby out of storage, benn checking on it over tbe winter to make sure no visitors have made home of it and that nothing is missing.

getting itchy to go camping...

Tags
ada