Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

To Air Bag or Not To Air Bag

I have been undecided whether to add air bags or not. My truck drops just 2 inches when I hook up, and travels down the road real good. I do not hit the factory jouce bumpers but on a very rare occasion. I just got it in my head that maybe I should raise truck some, and maybe improve the ride even better. But, woudl I get much benefit for the cost involved?
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only benefit to air bags is to raise the rear end...
no increase in load carrying capacity, no improvement in handling, and no improvement in ride (in my case - in fact the unloaded ride was worse WITH bags...

Do you get 'flashed' at night ? if not, I'd stay with it and maybe not put anything in the turck bad, but move some 'stuff' from the front to the back of the rv...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

I know that they don't increase anything. Just wondering about leveling the rear and maybe a better ride. We don't travel at night, retired and in no hurry. Start out about 8am and look to stop about 4pm.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

I had Firestone bags on my Chevy 2500 and loved them. Trailer road so much better. Then I added Bilstein 5100 shocks and really improved the ride.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #5

Mine drops 2 inches and rides level without air. Mosts trucks are high on the back when unloaded.
I did add spring plies and it improved the ride loaded and no change unloaded. I did it to protest the main ply that are prone to break on F250 and F350 SRW. Just the other day my cousin found 2 broken main ply on his F350 SRW. He was wondering why his truck was all over the road and I pointed out his problem.